Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Custom Titles: Required Reading (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=266339)

Sniper 12-23-2006 07:32 PM

Re: Custom Titles: Required Reading

[ QUOTE ]
Any insulting custom title needs to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

ATF thread... sigh

NT! 12-24-2006 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any insulting custom title needs to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

ATF thread... sigh

[/ QUOTE ]

can indisputable facts really be considered 'insulting'??

if the person who removed it without leaving a note wasn't mat or ryan they are officially a giant bitch

citanul 12-25-2006 03:24 PM

wait, NT,

so you want to reserve the right, as an OOT mod, to give people *s, but also give them both normal custom titles AND insulting custom titles, with moving stars to notes or just appending them to stars, and at the same time all the oot mods were so adamently against custom titles for users with stars? wtf. seems a bit ridiculous. whatever though.

the person who changed that title appears to be ryan, and honestly, i'd have very little problem changing any custom title i saw that wasn't logged. but in general, it's ryan who does this stuff.

so basically,

1) no insulting titles means no insulting titles, even for the esteemed oot mods.

2) eh, i was going to write something else but really it just sounds a lot like 1 and what i wrote above.

c

NT! 12-25-2006 11:09 PM

hi c

i am not sure i understand the perceived contradiction you are referring to, let me do my best to answer your question.

following the thread in this forum discussing * policies, OOT mods noted that we'd be happy to assist any mod wishing to remove a * on behalf of a poster who contributes to their forum. so far i've only received a few such requests and have gladly complied with all of them.

to be clear, the title i gave dementia, which was removed, did have a note in his user notes to go along with it. this is why i think any non-red removing it without at least leaving a note would be a bitch move. since ryan apparently removed it the point is moot.

i certainly don't think OOT mods should have special privs and i'm not asking for them. i thought that custom title was awesome and accurate, but i am not surprised it was looked upon unfavorably and don't dispute its removal (even if i think it was whack). i have occasionally experimented with less direct / more imaginative moderation techniques, including humorous undertitles, which have been generally considered awesome by everyone but the people receiving them and a few mods/admins. so, bummer for me i guess.

so, i guess, in conclusion, i'm not asking for any special privileges regarding custom titles. if any other mods want to remove or modify a * or a title i have given, i only ask that they contact an OOT mod first, and i will continue to log any title changes i make. i will eventually come to grips with the brutal quashing of my only creative outlet but probably only after years of therapy. that's my problem though.

Sniper 12-25-2006 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought that custom title was awesome and accurate, but i am not surprised it was looked upon unfavorably and don't dispute its removal (even if i think it was whack). i have occasionally experimented with less direct / more imaginative moderation techniques, including humorous undertitles, which have been generally considered awesome by everyone but the people receiving them and a few mods/admins. so, bummer for me i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't really matter whether you thought the title was humorous or not... the Poster you gave it to did not... and therefore Ryan (assuming the change was done by him) was correct to remove it.

NT, you might wish to review previous title related threads in the Mod forum, so that you would understand the issues better [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

NT! 12-25-2006 11:43 PM

i think i understand them pretty good

Ryan Beal 12-26-2006 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
since ryan apparently removed it the point is moot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have left a note if I removed it. But I did see that someone else had deleted it and left the title field blank, so I replaced the blank space with the default title.

Mat Sklansky 12-26-2006 12:50 PM

i did it. what's the default?

Nick B. 03-15-2007 03:11 PM

What is the deal with giving people custom titles out of their forum? http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post9569850 I think a lot of custom titles are stupid. I don't think the other OOT mods give many out, so I would prefer it stayed that way.

iron81 03-15-2007 03:17 PM

Ok, I'll get rid of it. I thought it was funny.

durron597 03-15-2007 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'll get rid of it. I thought it was funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're going to delete a title, please take two seconds to restore it to the original one. don't bother this time I did it already.

iron81 03-15-2007 03:23 PM

I thought the software restored the default when you delete a custom title. I don't remember ever seeing a user with a blank title field. Just so we're clear, I changed the title of the OP for that thread.

durron597 03-15-2007 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the software restored the default when you delete a custom title. I don't remember ever seeing a user with a blank title field.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe that's because they're a huge pet peeve of mine and i always restore the default whenever i see one?

Nick B. 03-15-2007 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the software restored the default when you delete a custom title. I don't remember ever seeing a user with a blank title field. Just so we're clear, I changed the title of the OP for that thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't. I usually go to the FAQ at the top and then figure out the title by posts. Is that what everybody else does?

daryn 03-15-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't. I usually go to the FAQ at the top and then figure out the title by posts. Is that what everybody else does?

[/ QUOTE ]

yo

EMc 03-15-2007 06:04 PM

I had no title for the longest time. I was the first * under astro's system, he deleted it right away because it wasnt really public yet, but never restored the title.

orange 03-17-2007 04:34 PM

I agree with Mike. I think that titles are a nice way of rewarding regular posters. While some of you may think that titles are dumb and uncesessary, I disagree. I felt great when I got my first title (from Grunch).

I also think that sweeping all custom titles is a bit uneeded, but do agree that giving out titles should be used in moderation.

also, was 42it's Q ever answered?

[ QUOTE ]
In SSNL, we give custom titles to people who take the time to contribute a digest. It usually takes a couple of hours and all digests are added to the stickies.

Is this practice okay or should we curtail it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan Beal 03-17-2007 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also, was 42it's Q ever answered?

[ QUOTE ]
In SSNL, we give custom titles to people who take the time to contribute a digest. It usually takes a couple of hours and all digests are added to the stickies.

Is this practice okay or should we curtail it?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to give out custom titles for stuff like this.