Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Official NHL 2006-07 Regular Season Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=227669)

Triumph36 10-10-2006 02:28 PM

Re: Official NHL 2006-07 Regular Season Thread

Early in the season it's standard to have as few weekday games as possible. Until football season ends, you'll see less Tuesday and Wednesday night games - they tend to get awful attendance. Also the schedule tends to be less dense in October.

It's also standard that the Rangers have played 4-5 more games than New Jersey by mid-November.

MarkSummers 10-10-2006 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How is he a good coach? He won a Jack Adams with the best goalie in the league - wow.

The Islanders actually aren't that bad on paper, but they will be bad on the ice - partly thanks to Nolan.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke, right?

Those Sabres did have the best goalie in the league, but they also did not have much in front of him. Like others have said, Nolan did get those guys to work hard and probably got the most he could have out of that team. Who do you want to give the Jack Adams to? I guess the winner would have to be such a hockey genius that his team and his goalie were not very good.

As far as the Islanders being good on paper, these are essentially the same losers we had last year. But wait, now we have Sean Hill, Brendan Witt and Tom Poti on D and Chris Simon, Mike Sillinger and Richard Park up front. Oh I fogot Andy Hilbert too. Name another team in the East with a roster this bad? Washington, maybe. Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Florida, Tampa and Boston all have a little bit of a chance this year. The Islanders have no chance. I don't see what Nolan can do to make these guys worse than they already are.

NhlNut 10-10-2006 05:49 PM

Calder Trophy:
Forget Malkin, Anze Kopitar is going to take it. He's big and skilled. Plus, he will get a ton of ice time with the Kings being weak at center.

Mvcode3 10-10-2006 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's OK guys, you can give up now. The Sharks WILL win the cup this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im suprised that no one has mentioned the Sharks. Youngest, Heaviest, and 4 tallest team in the NHL. Has 2 superstars and 2 no 1 goalies. After watching them play the first three games they have clearly been the better team. Their speed is going to mean a lot of penalties, and Thorton is scary on the PP.

Triumph36 10-12-2006 10:39 PM

Unreal games here in the New York area tonight - the Rangers lose 6-5 with 1 second left when Sidney Crosby's cross-ice pass hits Aaron Ward and goes in. The Devils win 7-6 in the shootout after being down 3 goals at the start of the 3rd - Brian Gionta scores a natural hat trick to tie it.

MarkSummers 10-12-2006 11:56 PM

Wow that's 3 hat tricks in the last 2 days. Cheechoo already has one and the Sharks game isn't even over yet and Schneider had one last night for Detroit.

Edit to include that Cheechoo's was natural as well. I wonder if there have ever been 2 natural hat tricks in one night of hockey.

Edit #2: holy jesus, another natural hat trick. This time it's Ryan Smyth of Edmonton. This is in the same game that Cheechoo got his. This has got to be the first time there are 3 natural hat tricks in one night.

THAY3R 10-13-2006 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This has got to be the first time there are 3 natural hat tricks in one night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly doubt it.

MinRaise 10-13-2006 12:45 AM

Question for those who know the NHL.

I don't know all that much about hockey, but I have been a Blue Jackets fan since they joined the NHL a few years ago. I have been to some games in previous years, haven't had a chance this year yet. Anyways, they have looked good so far, but they have sucked in the past. Do they have a chance to make the playoffs this year? Seems like all of these high draft picks are starting to pan out, and they finally signed some FAs.

Acehawk74 10-13-2006 12:55 AM

Minraise,

You will absolutley love Fredrick Modin. As long as your young goaltender holds up well, and the team continues playing to thier potential, I think they can contend for a playoff spot. That said, with as talented as some teams in the West are, I think it is a stretch, but they certainly are improved imho.

MarkSummers 10-13-2006 01:01 AM

Considering more than half the teams in the conference make the playoffs, as long as you're not one of the two or three worst teams in the conference you got a chance. If Columbus made the playoffs this year, I would consider it a mild surprise. I would like their chances even more if they had a proven goalie. Leclaire only played in 33 games last year. Anyway, there's usually a few teams come from low expectations before the season to make the playoffs. Sometimes they do even better than a first round exit like Buffalo and Carolina last year.

As for the hat tricks, I'm still trying to find out if there have been two natural hat tricks in one game or three in one night of hockey. Smyth's impressive time of finishing the natural hat trick in 2 minutes 1 second is not a record. That belongs to Bill Mosienko who did in 21 seconds in 1952.

MrFeelNothin 10-13-2006 01:37 AM

Noone is talking about the Minnesota Wild....yet.

Obviously we are lucky to be 4-0, but we look real good this year. Lemaire has always coaxed the maximum out of our meager talent, this year we still have the discipline and the teamwork but now we have skill and speed. We finally have a legit first line with the Slovaks and Pierre Marc-Bouchard has been very impressive so far. Our PP unit has looked good as well...8-23 so far.

MrFeelNothin 10-13-2006 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im suprised that no one has mentioned the Sharks. Youngest, Heaviest, and 4 tallest team in the NHL. Has 2 superstars and 2 no 1 goalies. After watching them play the first three games they have clearly been the better team. Their speed is going to mean a lot of penalties, and Thorton is scary on the PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 of a good thing is not better than 1 when that thing is an NHL netminder.

Triumph36 10-13-2006 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Question for those who know the NHL.

I don't know all that much about hockey, but I have been a Blue Jackets fan since they joined the NHL a few years ago. I have been to some games in previous years, haven't had a chance this year yet. Anyways, they have looked good so far, but they have sucked in the past. Do they have a chance to make the playoffs this year? Seems like all of these high draft picks are starting to pan out, and they finally signed some FAs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked Columbus to finish out of the playoffs - but I also picked Buffalo, Edmonton, and Carolina to finish out of the playoffs last year (and picked Columbus to finish 2nd in the West, haha). That reminds me, I think I'll put my pre-season picks on this thread later.

Things to like about Columbus: their forwards. Rick Nash is a beast, Nikolai Zherdev has the talent to be a big scorer, and they have two solid offensive lines. Vyborny is underrated and Brule and Fritsche are good prospects. Who knows how much Sergei Fedorov has left in the tank, but it can't be bad to have a Hall of Fame center coming back in a few weeks - and Sergei's always been solid defensively even if the offense isn't there.

Things to dislike: Their defense. I've no idea who Aaron Johnson or Ole-Kristian Tollefson is. Adam Foote is okay, but no one else is particularly good - Anders Eriksson washed out of the NHL before and I've never liked Ron Hainsey. Some teams have made it into the playoffs with a lot of unknowns on defense, but it takes commitment to a system and some guys playing over their heads.

Pascal Leclaire is the wildcard - he's been a big-time prospect for several years and Columbus finally got Marc Denis out of his way. It's his net in Columbus - I think he'll perform but I haven't seen much of him.

Columbus definitely has a shot - everyone out West does, it's a remarkably tight conference. If Chicago [censored] the bed, that's two possible soft teams in the division for Columbus to beat up on - problem is, the two other teams are Nashville and Detroit.

Triumph36 10-13-2006 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This has got to be the first time there are 3 natural hat tricks in one night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't. Natural hat tricks is the key word. Given that the NHL had 6 teams for half a century, this would be damn near impossible during that era.

I thought natural hat tricks had to come in the 3rd period - I think there's a dispute about that.

Zurvan 10-13-2006 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought natural hat tricks had to come in the 3rd period - I think there's a dispute about that

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter what period it's in. They just have to be 3 consecutive goals.

wh1t3bread 10-13-2006 09:24 AM

I may have been wrong about Lundqvist not being consistent. Actually maybe I'm not...he's been consistently not good this year. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Actually, the entire Rangers team has played crappily so far. I'm hoping it's just some growing pains with all the new faces.

Renney needs to get Kasper back on the ice.

THAY3R 10-13-2006 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I thought natural hat tricks had to come in the 3rd period - I think there's a dispute about that

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter what period it's in. They just have to be 3 consecutive goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure natural hat tricks mean 3 goals in a game without any of them being an pulled goalie score.

EDIT :

Wiki - The term natural hat trick refers to when a player scores three goals consecutively in a single game. The goals do not have to happen in the same period.

Oops, guess I'm wrong [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Triumph36 10-13-2006 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure natural hat tricks mean 3 goals in a game without any of them being an pulled goalie score.

EDIT :

Wiki - The term natural hat trick refers to when a player scores three goals consecutively in a single game. The goals do not have to happen in the same period.

Oops, guess I'm wrong [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Told you - you're the phb of NHL discussion. A natural hat trick is very rare - my guess is there might've not even been 3 all last season, and scoring was up.

THAY3R 10-13-2006 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Told you - you're the phb of NHL discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Dude, I played Hockey in middle school, respect my authoritay!

bluef0x 10-13-2006 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Riiiiiiiiiiiight... because the Sens and Preds loved having only one true starter last year in the playoffs. Who wants to start Nabokov or Toskala when they have youngster Emery or the 30-year-old-AHLer Mason?

I'd be willing to bet both of those teams would rather have Nabby/Toskala as a back up over Emery/Mason. Plus, having 2 #1's means you can trade 1 without destroying your team.

Look at Buffalo, they didn't throw away Biron just because they found Miller. Same with Anaheim... they kept Bryz.

vin17 10-13-2006 04:46 PM

Any Leaf fans here?

Represent.

Zurvan 10-13-2006 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any Leaf fans here?

Represent.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have asked before that travesty of a third period last night.

But, yes. Pudge too.

lozen 10-13-2006 05:14 PM

Ryan Smyth Breaks wayne greztky's record for quickest three goals hat trick

Nice comeback victory

MarkSummers 10-13-2006 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ryan Smyth Breaks wayne greztky's record for quickest three goals hat trick In Oiler History.

[/ QUOTE ]

kolotoure 10-13-2006 05:18 PM

Quack Quack. At least 1 Anaheim team will make the playoffs this year

Triumph36 10-13-2006 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Riiiiiiiiiiiight... because the Sens and Preds loved having only one true starter last year in the playoffs. Who wants to start Nabokov or Toskala when they have youngster Emery or the 30-year-old-AHLer Mason?

I'd be willing to bet both of those teams would rather have Nabby/Toskala as a back up over Emery/Mason. Plus, having 2 #1's means you can trade 1 without destroying your team.

Look at Buffalo, they didn't throw away Biron just because they found Miller. Same with Anaheim... they kept Bryz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having 2 number one goalies is an unnecessary luxury, especially in the salary cap era. Both San Jose and Anaheim would love to ditch their high priced backup/starters. The Sabres should too - they made a giant mistake keeping Martin Biron. No one wants Martin Biron at that price so he's stuck on the Sabres' roster all year - by the time he does become valuable at the trade deadline, the Sabres may as well retain him.

You don't ask if they would rather have Toskala or Biron or Bryzgalov over Emery or Mason - you ask if they would rather have Nabokov or Paul Kariya, or Gigeure or Dany Heatley. Having one excellent starter is always preferable to having 2 solid guys - now it's even more true with the salary cap.

WayAbvPar 10-13-2006 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ryan Smyth Breaks wayne greztky's record for quickest three goals hat trick In Oiler History.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did it have to be Smyth? God he is a stringy haired rat faced douche. He doesn't belong in the same room with 99. Grrrrr.

What does everyone think about the new 'Season has started' commercials? Aside from playing during HOCKEY GAMES (if I am watching the game, I realize the season has started!), they are strangely amusing.

stealthcow 10-13-2006 06:24 PM

Buffalo keeping Biron for the playoffs last year made sense. Sure in hindsight, having an extra dman would've been great for game 7- but miller was semi-struggling down the stretch before the playoffs. I also dont think vancouver or edmonton were offering much.

As for since the playoffs, i just dont think there are enough teams with goalie needs that wanted to give up a draft pick or prospect for a decent, but not great goalie.

The amount of quality goalies in the league make a biron as valueable as a #4 dman, imo.

Yads 10-13-2006 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Noone is talking about the Minnesota Wild....yet.

Obviously we are lucky to be 4-0, but we look real good this year. Lemaire has always coaxed the maximum out of our meager talent, this year we still have the discipline and the teamwork but now we have skill and speed. We finally have a legit first line with the Slovaks and Pierre Marc-Bouchard has been very impressive so far. Our PP unit has looked good as well...8-23 so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's still early. The Wild had a great start last year too and finished out of the playoffs. They definitely have an improved team this year, but don't expect Demitra to actually play the whole season and you don't have a reliable backup anymore. The Northwest is going to be tight as always though.

Triumph36 10-13-2006 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buffalo keeping Biron for the playoffs last year made sense. Sure in hindsight, having an extra dman would've been great for game 7- but miller was semi-struggling down the stretch before the playoffs. I also dont think vancouver or edmonton were offering much.

As for since the playoffs, i just dont think there are enough teams with goalie needs that wanted to give up a draft pick or prospect for a decent, but not great goalie.

The amount of quality goalies in the league make a biron as valueable as a #4 dman, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keeping him last year was good.

Giving him a qualifying offer at 2.1 million dollars this summer was foolishness. He's not worth that much money to anyone, most of all the Sabres. They could have let him go UFA and tried to sign him for 1.2 million or thereabouts. They could've tried to sign a backup from another team. - though I admit not that many were available. Still, I feel Darcy Regier continues to mis-manage the Buffalo crease.

vin17 10-14-2006 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any Leaf fans here?

Represent.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have asked before Aubin imploded .

But, yes. Pudge too.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

Yet another reason to dislike JFJ...

bluef0x 10-15-2006 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having 2 number one goalies is an unnecessary luxury, especially in the salary cap era. Both San Jose and Anaheim would love to ditch their high priced backup/starters. The Sabres should too - they made a giant mistake keeping Martin Biron. No one wants Martin Biron at that price so he's stuck on the Sabres' roster all year - by the time he does become valuable at the trade deadline, the Sabres may as well retain him.

You don't ask if they would rather have Toskala or Biron or Bryzgalov over Emery or Mason - you ask if they would rather have Nabokov or Paul Kariya, or Gigeure or Dany Heatley. Having one excellent starter is always preferable to having 2 solid guys - now it's even more true with the salary cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about fair trade. A backup goalie is MUCH more important to a cup-contending team than what is being offered on the market right now. Toskala makes a low amount of $$, it's not a difference between Paul Kariya (who I wouldn't welcome back to the Sharks [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) or Toskala.

2 solid starters > 1 starter and nothing by letting a guy go when he can be had for under 2m a year. Having 2 goalies IS a luxury. Especially when the reason you usually end up having 2 goalies is because you drafted one of em and he's still an RFA signed for cheap.

Toskala @ 1.4m > Grier @ 1.75m, Kesler @ 1.9m, etc.
Just getting rid of salary doesn't gurantee you a supertsar.

Triumph36 10-15-2006 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about fair trade. A backup goalie is MUCH more important to a cup-contending team than what is being offered on the market right now. Toskala makes a low amount of $$, it's not a difference between Paul Kariya (who I wouldn't welcome back to the Sharks [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) or Toskala.

2 solid starters > 1 starter and nothing by letting a guy go when he can be had for under 2m a year. Having 2 goalies IS a luxury. Especially when the reason you usually end up having 2 goalies is because you drafted one of em and he's still an RFA signed for cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does if you're able to pull it off before the UFA signing period starts. Obviously in-season it's different, and these clubs probably should stick with their current setup now - but it's not anywhere near an optimal setup. This is why the Sabres should've let Biron go.

bluef0x 10-16-2006 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does if you're able to pull it off before the UFA signing period starts. Obviously in-season it's different, and these clubs probably should stick with their current setup now - but it's not anywhere near an optimal setup. This is why the Sabres should've let Biron go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course @ $2.1m or whatever you said. Was he a RFA? If so, the Sabres are insane to offer that... was that the QO?

But Toskala and Bryz near 1m is a steal. You aren't getting any quality forwards for $1m... not to mention it's not even a million you are freeing up when you have to call up your backup who costs at LEAST $450,000.

Triumph36 10-16-2006 12:35 AM

If Bryz or Toskala at 1M is a huge steal, Nabokov and Gigeure are huge liabilities. You don't seem to be understanding this - considering the 'backups' aren't much worse or better than the 'starters', the teams are probably better off without the 'starters'. No, obviously you can't get a forward for $1M - but you can get a forward for $4.5M. And that's in addition to whatever assets you might collect (albeit paltry) for dealing the goalie. I'm not surprised neither of those guys moved, but I still think both teams might be much stronger without them and with an FA instead. There may not have been a market.

Yes, that was the QO - Biron was an RFA.

DocMartin 10-16-2006 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any Leaf fans here?

Represent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice 500th for Sundin. Overtime Hat trick on HNIC.

bluef0x 10-16-2006 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Bryz or Toskala at 1M is a huge steal, Nabokov and Gigeure are huge liabilities. You don't seem to be understanding this - considering the 'backups' aren't much worse or better than the 'starters', the teams are probably better off without the 'starters'. No, obviously you can't get a forward for $1M - but you can get a forward for $4.5M. And that's in addition to whatever assets you might collect (albeit paltry) for dealing the goalie. I'm not surprised neither of those guys moved, but I still think both teams might be much stronger without them and with an FA instead. There may not have been a market.

Yes, that was the QO - Biron was an RFA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, both teams would be better with a 4.5m forward (Ducks) or d-man (Sharks).. but they can't get them at this point in the season. We'll see how the deals go... I'm surprised teams like are still handing out huge deals to goalies when they have been so random as of late.

His QO was 2.1m? Jeez... I'm guessing they gave him a huge raise as his first extension instead of just a QO? The thing

I don't like about the new CBA is the younger UFA age/exp. With the Sharks' drafting being so great, I want these kids forever!

Triumph36 10-16-2006 03:43 AM

Biron was a starter and a good one before Miller came around. I think under the new CBA you might be able to offer a QO under the salary a player received for the previous season, but not much under.

The Sharks wouldn't be able to keep this team together under the old system either. It's inevitable that some of them have to be traded for salary concerns - playing time issues. A younger UFA age doesn't have very much to do with it - while UFAs got paid more back under the old system, players who were arbitration-eligible still got paid close to or at market value.

inferno 10-16-2006 04:50 PM

Am playing nhl07 on pc atm, would love to see a live hocky game anybody know where I could dll/stream watch it? Never really watched it since its not on tv here. I really like calgary flames and colorado avalance in the game.

CrazyPsycho 10-16-2006 04:56 PM

Yahoo usually shows a game every night as long as you are in the US. Go to their scoreboard and look for the watch live link. Also download TVUplayer and use the NHL channel around game times, they usually show a game every night as well.