Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ** NBA Conference Finals ** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=120373)

Jack of Arcades 05-23-2006 10:14 PM

Re: ** NBA Conference Finals **

[ QUOTE ]
Raja Bell: 49% 2FG, 49% 3FG, 15.8 PPG, 42 MPG, all up from the regular season.

[/ QUOTE ]

And his team is playing better with him on the bench, funny that.

edit: His steals and assists are down and his fouls are up, too.

I was really just trying to find the worst player on each team that gets consistent minutes. Bell is that guy for the suns.

Hornacek 05-23-2006 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pistons = Brick city

[/ QUOTE ]

ClassicBob 05-23-2006 10:33 PM

The biggest news of the night was just announced.

Diop wears a mask!

Beware the masked Sengali!

andyfox 05-23-2006 10:36 PM

Ben Wallace

Has now missed thrirteen free throws in a row. He's ten for forty-four in the playoffs.

He should try closing his eyes.

Jack of Arcades 05-23-2006 10:37 PM

Re: Ben Wallace

he should try to granny it

I am fish 05-23-2006 10:38 PM

I really liked that hack-a-ben play by the Heat when the Heat were up by 9 points.

ClassicBob 05-23-2006 10:40 PM

Sick block by Wade.

Sephus 05-23-2006 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he should try to granny it

[/ QUOTE ]

or at least try to bounce it hard off the square. there's no way he would miss more than half if he did that.

Hack 05-23-2006 10:57 PM

Haha Pistons lose. As I said in another thread, Rasheed is so overrated and Pistons are going down. Rasheed- sucks.

Phoenix1010 05-23-2006 11:01 PM

I think Riley is gonna take some more heat from sportswriters for exploiting the rules AKA making the smart move.

Hack 05-23-2006 11:04 PM

whatchu talkin bout willis?

teamdonkey 05-23-2006 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Riley is gonna take some more heat from sportswriters for exploiting the rules AKA making the smart move.

[/ QUOTE ]

post game conference he said Detroit had been hot from 3, he didn't want them coming out of the time out with a set play and getting a clean look at a triple.

Wade was awesome tonight, but i think the key to this series for Miami is Antione Walker. If he can stay in the flow of the game and not jack up shots every time he touches the ball, he adds a lot to the Heat. Good game for him tonight.

CharlieDontSurf 05-23-2006 11:21 PM

Alonzo was huge too...The D is better with him in.

MCS 05-23-2006 11:24 PM

Really, there's no excuse for an NBA player being so bad at free throws.

CharlieDontSurf 05-23-2006 11:28 PM

banking it off the backboard is easy no matter how big yr hands are or how tall you are.

LearnedfromTV 05-23-2006 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haha Pistons lose. As I said in another thread, Rasheed is so overrated and Pistons are going down. Rasheed- sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you the guy who had the Spurs clinching after Game 1?

Hornacek 05-23-2006 11:45 PM

Hack's a troll; ignore him.

Hack 05-23-2006 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you the guy who had the Spurs clinching after Game 1?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just said it to jinx them. Check the Dallas thread, I'm a Mavs fan.

dallas

tuq 05-24-2006 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raja Bell: 49% 2FG, 49% 3FG, 15.8 PPG, 42 MPG, all up from the regular season.

[/ QUOTE ]

And his team is playing better with him on the bench, funny that.

edit: His steals and assists are down and his fouls are up, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to just write this off as one of your more subtle trolls. Oh WOW! Rebounds and assists are down! From what, 2.8 to 2.5? Ruh-roh! And fouls are up! Sure sign of suckiness.

Not worth my time checking. My point about him being a contributor was made on the offensive end alone; there wasn't even any need to go into how he's the team's best defender.

Artdogg 05-24-2006 02:16 AM

yea uh, Raja Bell was their most consistent player in that clipper series, he might have had .003 less blocks per game tho!

tuq 05-24-2006 03:08 AM

Artdogg,

I think you underestimate just how important .003 blocks/game can mean to a series. E.g. over the course of a 333 game series that's nearly a full block. Please reconsider. Thx.

Artdogg 05-24-2006 04:48 AM

haha, reminds me of all these nba debates I have with a friend, he always brings up these stats that mean jack [censored] for the position, and its annoying cause its so useless arguing with him.

Paul B. 05-24-2006 06:09 AM

Heat in 5. Mavs in 7.

Ryan Beal 05-24-2006 06:21 AM

While I didn't expect the Pistons to lose this game, I knew it would be one they could easily give away at home. As long as the Pistons win game two, we're in for a long series.

Vincent 05-24-2006 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And people wanted to vote for him as MVP a couple years back. Haha, an all-star player who can't put in the ball in the hoop from 15' with no one guarding him.

Hornacek 05-24-2006 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And people wanted to vote for him as MVP a couple years back. Haha, an all-star player who can't put in the ball in the hoop from 15' with no one guarding him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about Shaq?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Vincent 05-24-2006 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about Shaq?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Touche. He made up for it by being able to put the ball in the hoop from 5' with three people guarding him.

Watching Ben Wallace on the offensive end is sad. He has great athletic talent, but has never developed any skills on that end. Great foul by Riley in the 4th on Ben. Just like a turnover, robbed the Pistons of a possession at the end of the game.

Hornacek 05-24-2006 08:55 AM

My roommate said this to me last night, and I never realized it until then:

There was about 6 minutes left in the fourth quarter:

"Pretty much we can expect that Flip will be outcoached with five minutes left every game from hereon in, right?"

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Let's hope we have at least a 10-pt lead halfway through the fourth in Game 2.

BLdSWtTRs 05-24-2006 09:38 AM

Despite the Heat win I'm gonna stick with my original pred. of Pistons in 7. I'm not a sportsbettor but I would comfortably bet 100 stacks on Det moneyline for game 2.

Mavs in 5. No way this series goes past game 5 imo.

Vincent 05-24-2006 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mavs in 5. No way this series goes past game 5 imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
So I just looked this up. Dallas & Phoenix split the series this year 2-2. The two games Dallas won, their teams were different from what they are now. Dallas had Christie in one game and Phoenix had Kurt Thomas & no Tim Thomas. Griffin also got a lot of PT in those games, starting over Josh Howard.

In their latter two games, which the Suns won, they had Tim Thomas, and Dallas has their current team minus KVH. If I knew this I might have adjusted my Mavs in 5 predicted to Mavs in 7, but looking this over makes me think there's a decent possibility that the Suns make the Finals, which I thought was impossible before.

Jack of Arcades 05-24-2006 09:53 AM

Jesus Christ, you think I'm trolling? Disagree with me if you want, but you think I'm trolling? Give me a break.

tuq 05-24-2006 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ, you think I'm trolling? Disagree with me if you want, but you think I'm trolling? Give me a break.

[/ QUOTE ]
I apologize. I went to find an example in your posts and couldn't find any off the top. It seems to me that you're quick be condescending (even by 2+2 standards), but at a glance it could just be that you post about 40X/day in sports so the word "stupid" is bound to be used eventually.

Victor, good post. I thought about making that point but was too lazy. The Suns won a big game late in the season in Dallas, and then beat them handily at home in a game that meant nothing to the Suns but was when DAL was still fighting for best record.

So based off of their regular-season tangos this series would be a push. However, these variables all work in Dallas' favor: 1) home court advantage, 2) Nash's health, and 3) confidence gained by finally beating the Spurs.

Snupoker 05-24-2006 12:33 PM

I'm already getting sick/nervous of thinking about how the Suns are going to score 100+ on us tonight. I really just hope we put up 120.

Jack of Arcades 05-24-2006 01:03 PM

I think there's a pretty good chance the Suns don't score 100.

I think Keith Van Horn is a pretty important player in this series, as retarded as that sounds. There's no way Erick Dampier or Diop can hang with their quick guys inside. A small lineup of Harris, Terry, Howard, KVH, and Dirk is probably the best bet.

With Harris, Howard, and KVH all healthy, the Mavs create all kinds of mismatches. Dirk will be unstoppable.

holeplug 05-24-2006 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm already getting sick/nervous of thinking about how the Suns are going to score 100+ on us tonight. I really just hope we put up 120.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have faith. Avery Johnson actually knows what he is doing.

tdarko 05-24-2006 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I just looked this up. Dallas & Phoenix split the series this year 2-2. The two games Dallas won, their teams were different from what they are now. Dallas had Christie in one game and Phoenix had Kurt Thomas & no Tim Thomas. Griffin also got a lot of PT in those games, starting over Josh Howard.

In their latter two games, which the Suns won, they had Tim Thomas, and Dallas has their current team minus KVH. If I knew this I might have adjusted my Mavs in 5 predicted to Mavs in 7, but looking this over makes me think there's a decent possibility that the Suns make the Finals, which I thought was impossible before.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to take in consideration that Devon Harris was out for Game 3 and only plaed 7 minutes for the final game as he was just coming back from injury. The meetings between these two teams this in the regular season are somewhat trivial as to the players that will be on the floor tonight, the timing in which they played was just off is all.

So you can't really look back and say who has an edge for either team in my opinion if you are judging by matchups in the games that were played in the regular season b/c both played each other with different lineups every time due to injuries and whatnot.

tdarko 05-24-2006 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Suns won a big game late in the season in Dallas, and then beat them handily at home in a game that meant nothing to the Suns but was when DAL was still fighting for best record.

[/ QUOTE ]

tuq,

Dallas was extremely beat up and injured in the last stretch and Avery practically conceded the #1 spot (he said his teams health in the playoffs is more important than his teams seeding) to the Spurs by not forcing Howard, Harris, and Griffin on the floor (plus Van Horn was out too) and instead sitting them and letting them rehab. Everyone in Dallas knew we were about to lose a lot of games in the last stretch for two reasons, 1) the most difficult remaining schedule in the NBA and 2) the key injuries to the team.

So, yeah, they won and they can win now and anytime but I don't mark those late season wins as special since we were losing ugly to the Warriors as well. If you remember, everyone around here was hating on Dallas saying they were the same ol' song and dance right around the end of the season when they started to lose and I was trying to defend them, making these same arguments and that the playoffs would be much different...I BELIEVE IN YOU AVERY!

tuq 05-24-2006 04:10 PM

td,

I'll keep this short. You have just demonstrated you are way more qualified to comment on those games than I am. I'm operating at a 30,000 foot level; you're crawling on the ground with a microscope.

The Mavs are also clearly stronger on this board; I think there are like three regular posters on here that are Suns fans. Seems likely we'll have to lay low, and in the unlikely event of a series win, I am going to post a LOLLERCAUST. You have been warned.

I am fish 05-24-2006 04:32 PM

I have the Suns at 15 to 1 to win the championship. So, I'll be rooting for them. When they hit their shots, they can beat anyone. Look at their last game, I believe that they were 15 out of 27 from the three point arc. They just try to outscore ya.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, I have no idea. Do you think the Suns match up better against the Mavs, or would the have matched up better against the Spurs?

Artdogg 05-24-2006 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, I have no idea. Do you think the Suns match up better against the Mavs, or would the have matched up better against the Spurs?

[/ QUOTE ]

much much better against the Mavs, tdarko will disagree but its true if you know the suns well

Itll be interesting to see how much of an impact Harris has, they will probably back way off him and try to make him a jump shooter, and if he hits them they are in trouble. The regular season games are what they are, really closely matched, no real point in going any further with it. We will see what happens tonight.