Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Euro (mostly British) Phrases that are catching on in the U.S.? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=541502)

adsman 11-09-2007 05:39 AM

Re: Euro (mostly British) Phrases that are catching on in the U.S.?

[ QUOTE ]
Still amazed that most Americans i have met didn't understand Snog and shag.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Bonk is a much better term here. I'm shocked that you don't use the term wanker in the USA. It is a staple part of any decent vocabulary. I may have to start up an online course on how to properly use this word.

First lesson; as somebody walks away after pissing you off, just turn to the people around you and mutter, "What a wanker." It has to taper off at the end, no exclamation marks etc.

Taking the piss is excellent but if you really want to step up a notch then you can use the advanced phrase, Having a go.

For example; "Are you having a go, mate?" This translates to, are you insulting me? An example conversation could go something like this;

1: Do ya like me new fishing rod?
2: Are you having a go?
1: what?
2: I said, are you having a go, mate?
1: No, mate. I'm not having a go.
2: Do you want to step outside?
1: No, no, mate. I'm not having a go, dinkum.
2: All right. Just watch it next time though.
1: I've had a gutfull.

There are some more advanced terms here such as, I've had a gutfull, which should only be attempted after a good deal of experience, but you get the general idea.

vbm 11-09-2007 05:55 AM

When in Vegas last summer, I referred to a very ugly girl as a 'munter' the yanks I was talking to thought this was great.

Oh and it is so so wrong to hear an american say 'wanker' and it is equally wrong to hear a brit say 'jerk'

Res-Judicata 11-09-2007 07:16 AM

"I surrender"

cpitt398 11-09-2007 07:18 AM

i want to work "fit" into my vocabulary when referring to a hot chick

cameronw01 11-09-2007 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is "craic" used in america? You have a lot of irish people, has this word survived over the years? I met a few australian people last year who had no idea what the craic was and never really fully understood the concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it mean a really horrible movie alleging to be a comedy but which is, in reality, just [censored]?

MitchL 11-09-2007 07:52 AM

I love "Having a go" and "taking the piss." I remember watching an Oasis interview one time when I was on acid and they kept using the word "nipple" as an adjective which I couldnt get enough. They were both "on the piss" and you couldnt make out much, but every once in awhile you would hear
"Yeah, but he's a nipple." Not sure if thats British, but I couldnt stop laughing.

dlorc 11-09-2007 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
me and my roomate use the word "minga" a lot. I also use the word "telly" all the time, but no one else I know does. I've been known to say "[censored] hell" with a British accent after a bad beat (dunno why I started that one).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an FYI its minger, not minga. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yeti 11-09-2007 09:24 AM

haha nipple is good, it's used very very sparingly which makes it better.

do you guys use 'prick'? i know dice used it a ton to refer to his member, but i'm not sure if it's used as insult over there

Vavavoom 11-09-2007 09:30 AM

giving it large
t-word
berk
bender
doing my nut in

These are some of the words I hear the most every day !

adsman 11-09-2007 09:33 AM

Test yourself on your knowledge of Australian speach.

Explain the following passage:
In the arvo last Chrissy the relos rocked up for a Barbie, some bevvies and a few snags. After a bit of a Bex and a lie down we opened the pressies, scoffed all the chockies, bickies and lollies. Then we drained a few tinnies and Mum did her block after Dad and Steve had a Barney and a bit of biffo.

mbillie1 11-09-2007 09:37 AM

I assume all Australian slang I don't understand means "beer" or "boomerang" occuring 5:1

Yeti 11-09-2007 09:41 AM

guys please don't circumvent the profanity filter

i just edited two posts, i'm pretty sure before that no one else offended

otnemem 11-09-2007 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, she deserves a hearty pat on the back for ridiculing those stupid Americans.

but srsly I was under the impression that cockney and people saying "guv" would be contained the to east end of London and other similarly dodgy parts. so i'm not sure your girlfriend and her gaggle of friends from Surrey are exactly supreme arbiters of this particular subset of slang.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ridicule is the wrong word. She says that every time she tells an American she's from Britain, the first thing they say is guv'nor, and it's annoying. I suppose it would be as if an American went to Britain, and 80% of the people you met made some apple pie reference.

Anyway, even if the term guv is used regularly in some circles, I sincerely doubt guvnor is. It seems too outdated - unless it's ironic.

Oki-Oki 11-09-2007 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Still amazed that most Americans i have met didn't understand Snog and shag.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Bonk is a much better term here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer root or rooting when used as a verb.

vbm 11-09-2007 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In the arvo last Chrissy the relos rocked up for a Barbie, some bevvies and a few snags. After a bit of a Bex and a lie down we opened the pressies, scoffed all the chockies, bickies and lollies. Then we drained a few tinnies and Mum did her block after Dad and Steve had a Barney and a bit of biffo.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the afternoon, last christmas, the relatives came over for a BBQ, some drinks and a few sausages. After a bit if of a cup of tea and a lie down we opened the presents, ate all the choclates, biscuits and lollies. We proceeded to drink a few cans of beer. Mother was none too please with father and steve had an argument and a bit of a fight.

ya great galar

Oki-Oki 11-09-2007 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the afternoon of last Christmas, the family came for a BBQ, some beers and sausages. After a bit of a bex ( Im an Aussie and never heard this ) and a nap/sleep we opened the gifts, ate chocolate, biscuits and sweets. We then drank a few beers and Mum lost her temper after Dad and Steve had a fight and threw some punches.

TBH I would use half of these in daily convo.

Oki-Oki 11-09-2007 10:28 AM

ajfsakdjfa;lkf didnt see vbm's response

AJW 11-09-2007 10:35 AM

Guv’nor kind of belongs to an older generation it shows deference to the person it’s applied to.
The only places I know of that it is still living on are the Police who use it as an informal greeting to direct superiors and football players who refer to the Manager as guv'nor.
Gaffers a more informal version that’s used in the building trade to refer to the Forman and in the film industry for a particular skilled trade I can’t remember which.

Oki-Oki 11-09-2007 11:07 AM

Gaffers move lights they are def not skilled

vin17 11-09-2007 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bob's your uncle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Both family members and a neighbour have said this before.

(Canada)

Jay Riall 11-09-2007 11:22 AM

Do you guys use tw*t atall? This thread makes me realize how much you suck at swear words! Be creative!

mosdef 11-09-2007 11:40 AM

Related amusing link:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...es_flap_to_row

Kimbell175113 11-09-2007 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys use tw*t atall? This thread makes me realize how much you suck at swear words! Be creative!

[/ QUOTE ]
that's another one I got from Mike Skinner

Vavavoom 11-09-2007 11:49 AM

Yeti,

How is t*at and another term (for male genitalia/slang term for male chicken) profanity and yet the word wanker is openly used on this forum !

Apologies for the circumvent of filter, but I didn't consider those words to be obscene...

It definitely is a US thing and not a UK thing...

Yeti 11-09-2007 11:55 AM

I don't know, I don't make the profanity filter. The t word is pretty rude imo, the male chicken word is not.

TiK 11-09-2007 12:04 PM

I love "dodgy". I nearly fell in love with the last English girl who told me that something was "a bit dodgy, i'nnit?" Actually, I don't know what it is but I love when girls in general say dodgy.

Brilliant I've heard used a lot recently in the States, probably influenced by the Guinness commercials.

With regards to guv'nah, the only time I heard it used a lot was while I was in London. Everyone was either guv'na or a geezer. The person who I heard most often referred to guv'nah was the proprietor of the local pub.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-09-2007 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes I say cheers all the time. Actually I say oy vay alot too. That's not british but it's half

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I'm responsible for this. I started saying it 2 years ago, and it finally has spread across America

TiK 11-09-2007 12:18 PM

Another term that I've heard more and more in recent times is the German word "Scheiße", used interchangeably with [censored] (censored synonym for "poop").

I love hearing German girls say "Scheiße". Acutally, I think I love hearing girls swear in any language.

jaymajik 11-09-2007 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

berk

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of my favourite English insults, because it does not sound very rude at all but in fact could hardly be much ruder (rhyming slang for Berkshire Hunt).

My Mum uses it and clearly has no idea what it really means.

Yeti 11-09-2007 12:36 PM

meh, that's the etymology but pretty much no-one really knows that, it's a harmless word

anklebreaker 11-09-2007 12:39 PM

Slag and slag heap are being used frequently around these parts.

Also, sod, as a noun.

TiK 11-09-2007 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

berk

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of my favourite English insults, because it does not sound very rude at all but in fact could hardly be much ruder (rhyming slang for Berkshire Hunt).

My Mum uses it and clearly has no idea what it really means.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love rhyming slang. I think it needs to be imported to the U.S. though it'd most likely flop.

"Thrups", "Khyber", "Shermans", "apples", "skyrocket", "Chevy Chase". The list goes on. So colorful; I love it.

Vavavoom 11-09-2007 12:44 PM

Thrups...hahahahahaha- BOOOOOOOBIES !!!

Dog (Dog n bone)
loaf
ruby
bubble

I use most of these instead of the proper words...and I'm not a proper cockney...albeit I'm from London !

cbloom 11-09-2007 12:48 PM

Oh yeah, at my last job "Boffin" was catching on, presumably because we all read TheRegister way too much; great semi-perjorative word for intellectuals. As in "The boffins at Intel are giving us a 16-way core whether we want it or not"

Eurotrash 11-09-2007 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, even if the term guv is used regularly in some circles, I sincerely doubt guvnor is. It seems too outdated - unless it's ironic.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do agree, the entire "guv'nah" sounds kind of dated unless you're using it ironically. but for whatever reason I like "guv." [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

BretWeir 11-09-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guv’nor kind of belongs to an older generation it shows deference to the person it’s applied to.
The only places I know of that it is still living on are the Police who use it as an informal greeting to direct superiors and football players who refer to the Manager as guv'nor.
Gaffers a more informal version that’s used in the building trade to refer to the Forman and in the film industry for a particular skilled trade I can’t remember which.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a cab driver in London call me gov'nor last year. It was absolutely the highlight of my trip.

AJW 11-09-2007 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a cab driver in London call me gov'nor last year. It was absolutely the highlight of my trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Black Cab drivers I should of know there would be some one id leave out. I bet he was middle aged though.
Did he use the clichéd phrase “where to guv'nor”?

eggegg 11-09-2007 03:15 PM

I wanna know if the following are used in the US:

sh*te
Gaffa/ Gaff
you're having a laugh
well in, son

RainDog 11-09-2007 03:18 PM

I've taken to saying "knackered", as in "worn out / tired".

People need to start throwing around the c* word as a term of endearment like it is used in the UK.

BretWeir 11-09-2007 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Black Cab drivers I should of know there would be some one id leave out. I bet he was middle aged though.
Did he use the clichéd phrase “where to guv'nor”?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, middle-aged guy, "where to, guv'nor?"