Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   College Football Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=429476)

DVaut1 08-03-2007 01:24 PM

Re: College Football Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Others receiving votes (with 2006) records:

Boston College (10-3) 150; Georgia Tech (9-5) 150; Miami (Fla.) (7-6) 91; Notre Dame (10-3) 90; South Carolina (8-5) 90; Wake Forest (11-3) 71; Missouri (8-5) 58; Oregon State (10-4) 52; Brigham Young (11-2) 47; Clemson (8-5) 30; Oregon (7-6) 30; South Florida (9-4) 26; Texas Tech (8-5) 20; Alabama (6-7) 16; Oklahoma State (7-6) 15; Southern Mississippi (9-5) 14; Iowa (6-7) 12; Kansas State (7-6) 8; Memphis (2-10) 5; Houston (10-4) 4; Arizona (6-6) 1; Duke (0-12) 1; Kentucky (8-5) 1; Washington State (6-6) 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

duracell 08-03-2007 01:37 PM

I would move Michigan and West Virginia ahead of Texas and Florida, and have Florida drop down to 6. Ohio State is too high. Arkansas and (maybe) Penn State are too low. I'd put one of the other ACC teams (BC or GT) in the top-25 as well.

TalkingDonkey 08-03-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Others receiving votes (with 2006) records:

Boston College (10-3) 150; Georgia Tech (9-5) 150; Miami (Fla.) (7-6) 91; 10-3) 90; South Carolina (8-5) 90; Wake Forest (11-3) 71; Missouri (8-5) 58; Oregon State (10-4) 52; Brigham Young (11-2) 47; Clemson (8-5) 30; Oregon (7-6) 30; South Florida (9-4) 26; Texas Tech (8-5) 20; Alabama (6-7) 16; Oklahoma State (7-6) 15; Southern Mississippi (9-5) 14; Iowa (6-7) 12; Kansas State (7-6) 8; Memphis (2-10) 5; Houston (10-4) 4; Arizona (6-6) 1; Duke (0-12) 1; Kentucky (8-5) 1; Washington State (6-6) 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

TomCollins 08-03-2007 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would move Michigan and West Virginia ahead of Texas and Florida, and have Florida drop down to 6. Ohio State is too high. Arkansas and (maybe) Penn State are too low. I'd put one of the other ACC teams (BC or GT) in the top-25 as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michigan should definitely be higher. Texas is highly overrated- their already weak defense got worse. Ohio State may be overrated right now, but they play nobody for a while, so as long as they don't lose, they will move up as the season goes on.

ND getting votes- hilarious.

NozeCandy 08-03-2007 07:25 PM

Yeah, I came here just to comment on Duke getting any vote period. That coach should be taken off the voting committee immediately.

GBP04 08-03-2007 07:30 PM

got season tickets for wisconsin, i'm already pumped for the michigan game

DukeSucks 08-03-2007 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I came here just to comment on Duke getting any vote period. That coach should be taken off the voting committee immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't Spurrier give them a vote every year?

Dudd 08-03-2007 07:49 PM

You're right, Spurrier votes them 25 every preseason poll since that was his first head coaching job.

TalkingDonkey 08-03-2007 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
got season tickets for wisconsin, i'm already pumped for the michigan game

[/ QUOTE ]

Could very well decide who plays USC for the title.

NozeCandy 08-03-2007 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't Spurrier give them a vote every year?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I just found this out from another site. He never votes for them after this, so who cares.

TalkingDonkey 08-03-2007 09:57 PM

Spurrier votes for them until they lose. So yeah, he never votes for them after this.

Zimmer4141 08-03-2007 10:29 PM

Edit because 8 other people noted that it was Spurrier.

I'm also excited for Michigan's schedule, especially the home schedule.

LOL at Notre Dame getting votes. They are going to be sub-500 this year.

iggymcfly 08-04-2007 01:17 AM

Louisville looks way too low to me at #11. They've got better talent they had last year on both sides of the ball as of the few starters they lost, at least 2 or 3 were replaced by players who started two years ago and then got injured last year. They're getting downgraded because Petrino left, but I don't think the effects of that will really be seen until next season as this squad has too much experience to be bothered by a new coach coming in.

TalkingDonkey 08-04-2007 01:32 PM

I agree about Louisville, they have some sick weapons on offense with Brohm, Urrutia, Douglas, and Allen. I don't see too much of a falloff with them under Kragthorpe.

orange 08-04-2007 01:35 PM

Looking at the polls and top 10(IMO):

1- USC: Standard. They are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. With an absence at a proven tailback and missing Jarrett/Smith, their offense will be missing a slight step. But with Carroll (arguably the best current coach in CFB today) and his coaching staff, they should adjust fine. Notable games include USC/NE Sept 15 (I'll be at that game yessss) and a tough(er) pac-10 schedule than last year (most pac 10 teams are all improved).

2- LSU: Again, pretty standard. Although LSU lost 4 1st round draft picks, they are still favored to win the SEC. Matt Flynn is a senior (and the MVP of the peach bowl in 2005) and their defense is anchored by Glenn Dorsey, their monster DT. I cannot wait for UF/LSU this year. Their WR corps should be somewhat new but Early Doucet should lead a young WR corps. Watch October 6th for the game vs. UF in Death valley. LSU also plays their second game vs. VT at home, another top 10 team. Should be a good game (though maybe boring defensive battle).

3- UF: Pretty high IMO. I wouldn't have ranked UF this high, but I'll take it. UF has an incredibly strong offense this year, unlike 2006 NC squad (which was led by their Defense). They return just 2 starters on D and are thin, especially on the DL. Look at my OP for more analysis on UF.

4- UT: UT may be a bit high, like UF IMO. Although last year's squad was up for NC contention until they lost to KSU, I still feel they were too young. Their heralded secondary with two first rounders (Ross and Griffin) were 99TH! in pass D last year. Their DL is incredibly good though (top 5 last year in run D). McCoy should be improved and UT has the top WR corps in the big 12 (arguably). And although I do think that UT is much improved/good, they still struggled vs. a pitiful Iowa team last year. We'll see how they do this year. (and with no more tOSU on the schedule, they should breathe easy). Good games include UT/NE (at austin) and Oct. 6th vs. Oklahoma, another NC ccontender.

5- Michigan: As stated elsewhere (CFB mags), Michigan would have likely been ranked preseason #1 had they beaten USC in the Rose last year. But they got destroyed by USC's speed. Michigan returns their trio of offensive stars- Henne/Hart/Manningham(sp?) are all excellent at their positions. Jake Long is also a preseason All American on their OL. Their Defense has to be rebuilt though, with much of their DL (woodley/branch) and secondary (hall) gone to the NFL. Notable games are against Wisconsin and of course the big game vs. tOSU. Wisconsin/Michigan will most likely determine the outcome of the Big 10 this year.

6- WVU: WVU was the 'Boise state' in 2005, where they upset UGA in the sugar bowl and put the big east on the map. Last year was a bit disappointing as they lost to South Florida and narrowly defeated a struggling GT team last year. However, this year they return many of their starters, including Slaton/White, both Heisman candidates. The only gripes I have against WVU is their schedule- yes, UL is tough and rutgers may prove to be a fun story like last year. But in general, WVU may have too weak of a schedule to play in the NC game. We'll see. Good games this year is of course UL/WVU which will most likely determine the winner of the big east.

7- Wisconsin: Another team in which I think may be ranked a bit high. A friend of mine is from wisc and a huge wisc fan and complains about me not giving them much respect. They return many on both sides of the ball (though the absence of Joe Thomas should hurt their OL). Though Stocco(sp?) is gone, the badgers should still be okay with P.J. Hill (big big back) as their RB. As stated earlier, the game vs. Michigan (and perhaps tOSU) will determine the Big 10.

Ugh, gotta go now. will finish later.

orange 08-08-2007 12:15 AM

I know this topic has been discussed previously, but who are all of your top 10 current CFB coaches?

based on:
-talent
-controversy and how they handle it (ie. stoops and bomar/etc)
-quality of wins (opponents beaten/etc)

???

i was thinking

1) carroll (USC)
2) stoops (OU)
3) Tressel (tOSU)
4) Spurrier (S. Carolina)
5) U. Meyer (UF) (bias)

The rest of the list is a random mix of M. Richt (UGA), L. Carr (UM), M. Brown (UT), B. Bowden (FSU), Maybe beamer (VT) ?, maybe other SEC coaches like Tuberville, Fulmer, etc.

Kos13 08-08-2007 12:48 AM

Your top five looks pretty solid. I think Pete Carroll tops the list. He's the best recruiter in the nation (though having a team in LA obviously helps), and there isn't a better "players' coach" in any sport.

bernie 08-08-2007 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know this topic has been discussed previously, but who are all of your top 10 current CFB coaches?

based on:
-talent
-controversy and how they handle it (ie. stoops and bomar/etc)
-quality of wins (opponents beaten/etc)

???

i was thinking

1) carroll (USC)
2) stoops (OU)
3) Tressel (tOSU)
4) Spurrier (S. Carolina)
5) U. Meyer (UF) (bias)

The rest of the list is a random mix of M. Richt (UGA), L. Carr (UM), M. Brown (UT), B. Bowden (FSU), Maybe beamer (VT) ?, maybe other SEC coaches like Tuberville, Fulmer, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be it's own thread.

Kudos for not mentioning Weiss.

I like Dennis Erickson. Go 'devils.

b

orange 08-08-2007 01:37 AM

While Weiss maybe a very good coach he hasn't proved that he can win a big game yet- his biggest win was a loss to USC in '05.

Dudd 08-08-2007 02:21 AM

One S people, one S.

duracell 08-08-2007 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One S people, one S.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't include Meyer, but that's just because he's such a huge douchebag. There's not a single coach in sports that I dislike more. (Sorry, I needed to rant.)

bernie 08-08-2007 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While Weiss maybe a very good coach he hasn't proved that he can win a big game yet- his biggest win was a loss to USC in '05.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't being sarcastic or anything in regards to my comment about Weiss.

I agree completely.

b

orange 08-18-2007 01:41 PM

bumped for a bit more than a week 1/2 till CFB season starts. thoughts on all the polls/your favorite team/schedules/important games/etc?

johndenver 08-18-2007 01:59 PM

as a university of texas grad I must say that UT is vastly overrated this year

people think colt mccoy is good because he put up big #s against crap teams, we lost a lot of people on D and O-Line, and jamaal charles is not the next reggie bush

I predict we get upset by TCU on sept 8th in austin. book it. TCU is a pretty solid team and I fear we will overlook them.

Austiger 08-18-2007 10:21 PM

I'm trying to get in the mindset that Auburn could go 8-5 this year so it won't be so disappointing. Our schedule is just brutal. If we can win our home games against teams we should beat it will work out okay, but that has been our achilles heel the last couple of years. We've got at least one, maybe two freshmen starting on the OL. That could be trouble.

TruFloridaGator 08-18-2007 10:23 PM

ty for bumping this thread. Tired of baseball tilt. College football can't come soon enough. I'm going to start tailgating like..tomorrow.

CarlSpackler 08-20-2007 05:48 PM

Zach Bowman, arguably the top returning CB in the country, has amazingly returned to practice after tearing his patella tendon in spring practice. Normally, guys don't come back for another month or 2 with this type of injury.

Jimmy Clausen, the second coming of Ron Pawlus at ND, got cited for attempting to transport alcohol, lol.

And finally, Ron Prince actually made his assistant coaches run stairs! And it happened to be fan appreciation day at at KSU when he did it, so thousands of fans were present, lol. This guy is a complete whackjob.

Your Mom 08-20-2007 06:33 PM

The charge against Clauson is a joke. So if you are driving and someone of age buys booze, you get in trouble for transporting it. What a f'n joke.

Kos13 08-20-2007 06:47 PM

I realize this isn't surprising, but Lou Holtz actually picked ND to upset USC this year. Between his homer-ism and the lisp, how the [censored] does this d-bag have a job?

Your Mom 08-20-2007 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize this isn't surprising, but Lou Holtz actually picked ND to upset USC this year. Between his homer-ism and the lisp, how the [censored] does this d-bag have a job?

[/ QUOTE ]

same way these other dbags have/had a job. Mark May, Rod Gilmore, Holtz, Beano, etc., etc.

orange 08-20-2007 09:05 PM

Holtz lost what little brain power he had years ago. Guy should be in a nursing home.

MyTurn2Raise 08-20-2007 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

same way these other dbags have/had a job. Mark May, Rod Gilmore, Holtz, Beano, etc., etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

but May and Gilmore are good

Your Mom 08-20-2007 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, no. May spends every broadcast on his knees in front of USC. Gilmore used to be so bad on the studio at halftime on ESPN 2. They both have such limited knowledge of the teams its just pathetic.

Kos13 08-20-2007 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
May spends every broadcast on his knees in front of USC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's clearly a dumb move since the Trojans are so terrible every year.

MyTurn2Raise 08-20-2007 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, no. May spends every broadcast on his knees in front of USC. Gilmore used to be so bad on the studio at halftime on ESPN 2. They both have such limited knowledge of the teams its just pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

ooooooooooooooooooops

time to self-exile again

those guys are very good and pwn Herbstreit, Corso, Holtz, Davie, Fowler, Davis, Speilman, etc

they're the only two talking heads that I really like on the main network

Lugenbill and McShay are good on the U

If you disagree, the nicest thing I can say is you don't know or understand college football at all

Your Mom 08-20-2007 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, May (along with Corso and Herby) are the main cogs in the ESPN hype machine which hypes up teams that it can show a lot (mainly the Saturday night ABC game these days) which results in ridiculous rankings and thus a ridiclous BCS Poll. Every year, a new team is hyped as the best team ever. Then, when they run polls to determine the best team ever, the ESPN analysts (mainly Herbie, in this case) get visibly upset on the air when the fans choose a team that doesn't fit the ESPN agenda (despite the fact that the fans did indeed pick the best team ever).

Your Mom 08-20-2007 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ooooooooooooooooooops

time to self-exile again

those guys are very good and pwn Herbstreit, Corso, Holtz, Davie, Fowler, Davis, Speilman, etc

they're the only two talking heads that I really like on the main network

Lugenbill and McShay are good on the U

If you disagree, the nicest thing I can say is you don't know or understand college football at all

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll start watching May again and will point out the ridiculous things he says. Then we'll see who knows college football which is a [censored] thing to say to me.

Kos13 08-20-2007 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, May (along with Corso and Herby) are the main cogs in the ESPN hype machine which hypes up teams that it can show a lot (mainly the Saturday night ABC game these days) which results in ridiculous rankings and thus a ridiclous BCS Poll. Every year, a new team is hyped as the best team ever. Then, when they run polls to determine the best team ever, the ESPN analysts (mainly Herbie, in this case) get visibly upset on the air when the fans choose a team that doesn't fit the ESPN agenda (despite the fact that the fans did indeed pick the best team ever).

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that USC, who has had one of the most incredible five year runs in college football history, is overhyped?

No. A team that has like two losses this decade is anything but overhyped. Notre Dame is overhyped.

Your Mom 08-20-2007 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that USC, who has had one of the most incredible five year runs in college football history, is overhyped?

No. A team that has like two losses this decade is anything but overhyped. Notre Dame is overhyped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask any Texas fan Pre Rose Bowl if USC was overhyped. Obv N. Dame is overhyped. No rational person would debate that.

Kos13 08-20-2007 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask any Texas fan Pre Rose Bowl if USC was overhyped. Obv N. Dame is overhyped. No rational person would debate that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from Texas. I watched the game (rooting for USC) with 200 crazy, drunken UT fans. They all agreed that USC had an awesome, awesome team.

Do you really think USC is overhyped this year? I follow USC football very closely, and it's been pretty obvious since late 2005 that this year's team was going to be ridiculous.