Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Ask a College Basketball Coach (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=516447)

Ship Ship McGipp 10-07-2007 11:04 PM

Re: Ask a College Basketball Coach

I read through most of this thread, but I apologize if my questions have been duplicated:

Have you ever been to Indiana/ seen an Indiana high school basketball game?

In general, how important is the "human psyche" when recruiting? This is a very poorly worded and phrased question. Basically, I'm wondering how much you take into account someone's work ethic, integrity, even religion into account when recruiting. I've always though there was so much more to a college basketball team; specifically you need teamwork and trust and cooperation much more than any other field of sports. Seems like kids with good attitudes that like to be around each other is so much more important than raw talent; especially when trying to pull an upset.

Whats the best camp you've ever been to? I'm talking coaches camps here; I know my high school coach went to a Calvin Sampson camp back when he was at OK, and he was a huge [censored] and had most of his assistants run the camp. Most personable college coach you've met even briefly? Most knowledgeable?

Do you guys have any cool equipment? I go to school at Butler and I played a lot of pickup basketball with Lichleiter's son before he bolted for Iowa this offseason, and Garrett told me that they had like a $10k machine where they could literally put in a DVD of a game and pick out spots where a certain player was going right, spots where #34 took a 3-pointer, you could see where a guy was going left or right, etc. and find weaknesses. Just wondering if you have any experience with stuff like this.

How serious is high school baskeball in Texas? Best games you've ever been to? Best high school player you've ever seen? I saw Oden play, but he was nothing spectacular at the time (just a really big kid), I saw Glenn Robinson play when I was like 3, lol, but my dad tells me I was at the game. The best high school basketball player I've ever seen play is Bryce Drew, and I saw him and Tim Bishop play multiple times. He wins out over Chris Thomas and a slew of other boys from Indianpolis and the region.

Might ask more soon.

22 Twos 10-07-2007 11:17 PM

can you give us a few stories about benching players?
any stories about players with "attitudes"
what kind of Ego does an average college hoop player have?

aggie 10-07-2007 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got the job because I previously worked for current Kentucky head coach Billy Gillispie while he was at Texas A&M...I was the Assistant Director of Basketball Operations for a year at A&M, and much of what I do now I did there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOOP!!!

aggie 10-07-2007 11:39 PM

Hey Casper,

What do you think/know about Mark Turgeon? Do you expect the aggies to take a step back this year with BCG leaving?

Will the A&M backcourt be any good without Acie Law? Will sloan/kirk/carter be able to carry the load?

Will DeAndre Jordan be a huge impact player for us this year?

Casper05 10-07-2007 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read through most of this thread, but I apologize if my questions have been duplicated:

Have you ever been to Indiana/ seen an Indiana high school basketball game? <font color="blue"> Unfortunately I've never been to Indiana </font>

In general, how important is the "human psyche" when recruiting? This is a very poorly worded and phrased question. Basically, I'm wondering how much you take into account someone's work ethic, integrity, even religion into account when recruiting. I've always though there was so much more to a college basketball team; specifically you need teamwork and trust and cooperation much more than any other field of sports. Seems like kids with good attitudes that like to be around each other is so much more important than raw talent; especially when trying to pull an upset. <font color="blue"> Work ethic and integrity are a huge part of who we (at least at my current school) want to recruit. Religion does not come into play at all. Teamwork/etc is definitely very important to winning, but talent is more important in my opinion. The big upsets come because a team shoots lights out from behind the arc, at least from my experience.</font>

Whats the best camp you've ever been to? I'm talking coaches camps here; I know my high school coach went to a Calvin Sampson camp back when he was at OK, and he was a huge [censored] and had most of his assistants run the camp. <font color="blue"> I assume you are talking about a coaches clinic, where coaches talk about their philosphy/style/plays/etc..? If thats the case, I really enjoyed listening to Gillispie a couple of years ago. </font> Most personable college coach you've met even briefly? <font color="blue"> Alvin Brooks is an awesome, awesome man. Pat Knight has some amazing stories. </font> Most knowledgeable? <font color="blue"> Jim Boeheim </font>

Do you guys have any cool equipment? I go to school at Butler and I played a lot of pickup basketball with Lichleiter's son before he bolted for Iowa this offseason, and Garrett told me that they had like a $10k machine where they could literally put in a DVD of a game and pick out spots where a certain player was going right, spots where #34 took a 3-pointer, you could see where a guy was going left or right, etc. and find weaknesses. Just wondering if you have any experience with stuff like this. <font color="blue"> Im assuming this is their editing equipment. We use Sportstec for our editing, and it can do all of the stuff you said. Here is the website. Basically, we put all our games on a laptop. As it is playing, we use the keys to code in different things...Player A shoots a 3, B turns it over, C scores, we ran play 8, etc. When we are finished, we can go back and look at all the times X event happened (Player A gets a shot during play 8, player B turns it over, every time we scored/didnt score when we ran play X, etc) </font>

How serious is high school baskeball in Texas? <font color="blue"> its pretty big, but is overshadowed by football </font> Best games you've ever been to? <font color="blue"> The state championship games are always good...Willowridge HS when they had TJ Ford and Daniel Ewing put on some good shows </font> Best high school player you've ever seen? <font color="blue"> Gerald Green and TJ Ford </font> I saw Oden play, but he was nothing spectacular at the time (just a really big kid), I saw Glenn Robinson play when I was like 3, lol, but my dad tells me I was at the game. The best high school basketball player I've ever seen play is Bryce Drew, and I saw him and Tim Bishop play multiple times. He wins out over Chris Thomas and a slew of other boys from Indianpolis and the region. <font color="blue"> Unfortunately, I didnt grow up in a large town, and there wasn't much good basketball nearby. Even if I end up doing something other than coaching in the future, I'll always take in as many HS bball games as possible. </font>

Might ask more soon. <font color="blue"> please do! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Casper05 10-07-2007 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got the job because I previously worked for current Kentucky head coach Billy Gillispie while he was at Texas A&amp;M...I was the Assistant Director of Basketball Operations for a year at A&amp;M, and much of what I do now I did there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOOP!!!

[/ QUOTE ]my weekend getaway was to go to the OSU game this weekend. Who's in first place in the Big 12?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Casper05 10-07-2007 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Casper,

What do you think/know about Mark Turgeon? Do you expect the aggies to take a step back this year with BCG leaving? <font color="blue"> I think he'll do a good job and keep everything rolling. He's getting in done on the recruiting front. He is a defensive minded guy like BCG, so we'll be fine there. I think losing Acie and AK will hurt us a bunch...I expect them to finish in the 4-6 range this year. </font>

Will the A&amp;M backcourt be any good without Acie Law? Will sloan/kirk/carter be able to carry the load? <font color="blue">I'm still not sold on Sloan being able to handle full time PG status, but time will tell. I think Acie helped Kirk and Carter more than people think. </font>

Will DeAndre Jordan be a huge impact player for us this year? <font color="blue"> I think he'll be big, but hopefully Elonu can step in and take some minutes...and if Davis can continue to improve we should be solid on the blocks. I'd be much more worried about guard play than post play. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Casper05 10-08-2007 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can you give us a few stories about benching players?
any stories about players with "attitudes"
what kind of Ego does an average college hoop player have?

[/ QUOTE ]I havent really been involved with any interesting stories about benching players. I guess the only one remotely interesting is last year. We had some off the court issues with one player and ended up sitting him for three games. His backup really picked up his game and became the full time starter. From then on, the former starter had a terrible attitude and created tons of problems for us in regards to team chemistry.

There are definitely a bunch of college players with huge egos, but I would still say that most of them are well grounded.

aggie 10-08-2007 12:23 AM

"my weekend getaway was to go to the OSU game this weekend. Who's in first place in the Big 12??"

Such an awesome game! I hope we can continue to play like we played in the second half....

"I'm still not sold on Sloan being able to handle full time PG status, but time will tell. I think Acie helped Kirk and Carter more than people think. "

I was worried you would say that about Sloan....He showed flashes of brilliance last year but was never very consistent....I agree our front court is going to be really good this year....I think Sloan's performance will determine whether the team will be good or great.

This is probably the first year ever i'm more pumped about Aggie B-ball than Football. It feels so weird.

Gigem!

kioshk 10-08-2007 07:39 AM

How good will A&amp;M be this year without Gillispie and Acie Law?

botulism 10-08-2007 10:01 AM

Can you tell us what a "normal" recruiting trip is like for a perspective player and or what actually happens when the coaches aren't around?

Casper05 10-08-2007 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How good will A&amp;M be this year without Gillispie and Acie Law?

[/ QUOTE ]I think theyll finishe in the 4-6 range of the Big 12

Casper05 10-08-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you tell us what a "normal" recruiting trip is like for a perspective player and or what actually happens when the coaches aren't around?

[/ QUOTE ]Sure, here is a sample schedule.

2:30pm Arrive at University

3:00pm Watch Team Workouts

4:00pm Meet with ??? – Dean of Computer Science

4:30pm Meet with Academic Advisor for Athletics

5:00pm Watch Weight Workouts

5:30pm Meet with Head Strength &amp; Conditioning Coach

6:00pm Meet with Head Coach

7:00pm Dinner with coaches and hosts

8:30pm Out with players for the evening

Saturday

9:15am Breakfast with Coaches at IHOP

10:15am Campus Tour with Recruiting Coach

NOON Tour of dorms/apartments/town with Recruiting Coach

1:15pm Lunch with Coaches

3:15pm Head back to hotel to relax

5:00pm Football game tailgating- released to Host

6:00pm Football game

8:00pm Out for the night with players

8:30pm Dinner with Coaches – Clear Springs (Parents only)

Sunday

8:00am Breakfast with Coaches

Depart Afterwards

NOON Arrive back in XXX

pokerbobo 10-08-2007 01:41 PM

Wanna shave some points and make some $$$$$

Casper05 10-08-2007 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wanna shave some points and make some $$$$$

[/ QUOTE ]no, and assistant coaches have very little power to do that anyway

BDaws 10-08-2007 04:16 PM

Thanks for doing this Casper.

I'm on club team at my college which is moderately competitive (practices 2x week, different local and occasionally national tourneys on weekends). I'm unsure of what kind of weightlifting regimen I could do that would maximize results and not take too much of a toll on my body.

Are you familiar with your team's in season workout regimen? Could you give a sample week, or maybe just some general important exercises (squat, clean, etc)?

jds1201 10-08-2007 04:23 PM

how much do you think the shoe companies are controlling/influencing recruiting at the highest level?

diddyeinstein 10-08-2007 05:21 PM

Do you think all levels of American basketball (college, professional, and international) would be be better served if college basketball adopted the 3-year rule like football.

RivaLiva 10-08-2007 06:45 PM

Should the 3-point arc be moved back in college? Even if it is to the International Range?

Matt24 10-08-2007 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should the 3-point arc be moved back in college? Even if it is to the International Range?

[/ QUOTE ]

it gets moved back next year unless thats this year

Matt24 10-08-2007 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Whats the best camp you've ever been to? I'm talking coaches camps here; I know my high school coach went to a Calvin Sampson camp back when he was at OK, a

[/ QUOTE ]

frickin Kelvin Sampson, and youre from Indiana? wtf

Ship Ship McGipp 10-08-2007 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Whats the best camp you've ever been to? I'm talking coaches camps here; I know my high school coach went to a Calvin Sampson camp back when he was at OK, a

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

completely hate Indiana basketball for the past 7 years, don't pay any attention to it, except to laugh at their failures.

Matt24 10-09-2007 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

completely hate Indiana basketball for the past 7 years, don't pay any attention to it, except to laugh at their failures.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, youre one of those
really failing right now, top 10 preseason

Ship Ship McGipp 10-09-2007 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, youre one of those

[/ QUOTE ]

yea pretty awesome last few years, they made it to the finals that one time! fwiw sampson is an [censored] anyways, i've had three different people tell me that, and by the time i get that many people that i trust telling me that i take it for gospel. he's nice and scummy too, he'll probably last 5 years and leave 'em with sanctions, i cant' imagine it ending any other way.

Matt24 10-09-2007 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, youre one of those

[/ QUOTE ]

yea pretty awesome last few years, they made it to the finals that one time! fwiw sampson is an [censored] anyways, i've had three different people tell me that, and by the time i get that many people that i trust telling me that i take it for gospel. he's nice and scummy too, he'll probably last 5 years and leave 'em with sanctions, i cant' imagine it ending any other way.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can always find people to say that sort of stuff about anyone, just like many people would say it about you. He's doing everything right at IU and thats all that matters, hauling in a top 10 class for this year and this next year may be the same thing if Zeller comes, will be close even if he doesnt.

and yeah obv the years with Davis sucked, do you think you got me with that first line. lol, actually though I was a soph at IU the year we went to the finals and it was a great great time for all students, I still watch the Duke victory highlights on my ipod every few months at at the poker table.

I would bet a large amount that Sampson is employed at IU for longer than 5 years

Al_Money 10-09-2007 10:36 PM

Casper,

What are your teams staple plays on offense? Do you call any plays? What % of the time is a play called on offense?

Casper05 10-12-2007 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for doing this Casper.

I'm on club team at my college which is moderately competitive (practices 2x week, different local and occasionally national tourneys on weekends). I'm unsure of what kind of weightlifting regimen I could do that would maximize results and not take too much of a toll on my body.

Are you familiar with your team's in season workout regimen? Could you give a sample week, or maybe just some general important exercises (squat, clean, etc)?

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not familiar with the specifics of their workout, but I do believe (again, not sure) that their offseason training is more specialized each day and focuses more on gaining. The inseason training is mostly circuits and muscle endurance.

Casper05 10-12-2007 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how much do you think the shoe companies are controlling/influencing recruiting at the highest level?

[/ QUOTE ]they are influential in keeping AAU around, so they are indirectly involved with everybody. As for the base of your question though, the cases of them "controlling/influencing" the recruiting process of specific players have been few and far between, although it may be getting worse.

Casper05 10-12-2007 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think all levels of American basketball (college, professional, and international) would be be better served if college basketball adopted the 3-year rule like football.

[/ QUOTE ]I think the leagues would be better off, but not the players.

Casper05 10-12-2007 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]yes, and it gets moved back next year 3 inches or something...not enough imo...I say move it back halfway between NCAA and NBA- I think we'd have less players mistakenly thinking they could make the jump.

Casper05 10-12-2007 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Casper,

What are your teams staple plays on offense? Do you call any plays? What % of the time is a play called on offense?

[/ QUOTE ]Good questions- we run a motion offense that is guard heavy, but most of our sets focus on getting the ball inside.

The HC calls the plays- all of us make suggestions sometimes.

I would say a set play is called ~30% of the time...that might be off, I havent ever thought to keep track...I'll have a manager do that one game.

Casper05 10-12-2007 02:22 AM

caught up! sorry, Ive been busy...first practice in 18 hours!!!

gusmahler 10-12-2007 02:19 PM

What kind of adjustments do you make at halftime? I've read somewhere that adjustments at halftime in an NFL game are relatively minor, but what about at your level of basketball?

What type of scouting do you do of opponents? Since you coach for a mid-major (nothing wrong with that, my favorite team is a mid-major), I'd guess that many of your opponents aren't on TV very often. So how do you scout them?

Have you read the behind the scenes book about the Phoenix Suns? Is it an accurate portrayal of the roles of the coaches (in your experience)?

Teh1337zor 10-13-2007 08:50 PM

if you can answer this question honestly, are you more happy when you win a big game (rivalry,upset etc.) or when you find out a student is doing great in school?

could you estimate the % of the time your offense runs set plays

Ribsauce 10-13-2007 11:40 PM

Awesome thread, thank you for posting this. I wish you could go into more detail, but I understand you have to be careful?

Would you get in trouble for this if the head coach found out? A football player I knew said they weren't allowed to post on message boards. Is this a NCAA rule or team rule?

gusmahler 10-14-2007 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
could you estimate the % of the time your offense runs set plays

[/ QUOTE ]He answered this 3 posts ago (about 30%).

tennisjump 10-14-2007 02:58 PM

Have you ever had a kid walk on? Do you know if it's more common at division III?

Casper05 10-15-2007 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of adjustments do you make at halftime? I've read somewhere that adjustments at halftime in an NFL game are relatively minor, but what about at your level of basketball?

[/ QUOTE ]we'll adjust our defense if they are exploiting something. We'll adjust our offense more than anything to counter their defensive gameplan...IE if they are switching screens a bunch we will begin to back-cut/slip/curl more than pop out...things like that.

[ QUOTE ]
What type of scouting do you do of opponents? Since you coach for a mid-major (nothing wrong with that, my favorite team is a mid-major), I'd guess that many of your opponents aren't on TV very often. So how do you scout them?

[/ QUOTE ]we videotape all of our games both for our use and to exchange them with other teams. If we are playing LSU, we will contact other teams that are playing them before we do and get their tapes. We try to have 6 tapes of each team...4 being the minimum.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you read the behind the scenes book about the Phoenix Suns? Is it an accurate portrayal of the roles of the coaches (in your experience)?

[/ QUOTE ]I havent read it, but its now on my list!

Casper05 10-15-2007 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you can answer this question honestly, are you more happy when you win a big game (rivalry,upset etc.) or when you find out a student is doing great in school?

[/ QUOTE ] We are definitely more excited when we win a big game than when a player is doing good in school. However, we are probably more pissed off when we find out a player is failing then after a big loss.

Casper05 10-15-2007 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you get in trouble for this if the head coach found out? A football player I knew said they weren't allowed to post on message boards. Is this a NCAA rule or team rule?

[/ QUOTE ] He wouldnt care. Its against NCAA rules to post on college sports forums...like rivals.com or scout.com, and we cant talk about any prospective athlete (even a 6th grader)