Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Rockies fans are gonna be pissed. Braun Wins ROY (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=544455)

dkgojackets 11-12-2007 08:35 PM

Re: Rockies fans are gonna be pissed. Braun Wins ROY

[ QUOTE ]
still TT pwns hanley by a sick amount

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so wrong. Look at the correct UZR values as posted earlier. Here it is again if you missed.

http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/inde...st_of_2007_uzr

Tulowitzki +20
Ramirez -20

Then look at VORP. They are the same position, so you shouldn't get confused for this one.

Ramirez 89.5
Tulowitzki 37.8

Ramirez was worth 69.5 runs when you combine them. Tulowitzki 57.8 runs. Not to mention the park factors.

Good night.

sublime 11-12-2007 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
still TT pwns hanley by a sick amount

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so wrong. Look at the correct UZR values as posted earlier. Here it is again if you missed.

http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/inde...st_of_2007_uzr

Tulowitzki +20
Ramirez -20

Then look at VORP. They are the same position, so you shouldn't get confused for this one.

Ramirez 89.5
Tulowitzki 37.8

Ramirez was worth 69.5 runs when you combine them. Tulowitzki 57.8 runs. Not to mention the park factors.

Good night.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, like i have a bad day and sound like an idiot. this is like normal for you though. so YOURE saying hanley was like one win better than TT.....yet you dont think RB was a terribe choice for ROY?

how [censored] stupid can you be?

(also, my post about TT pwning HR was OBVIOUSLY IN REGARDS TO FIELDING as thats what was being discussed)

i can go to bed knowing that even on my worst day i am light years ahead of retards like you.

Vyse 11-12-2007 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

rollins has been good for a long while now.

[/ QUOTE ]

now you're changing your argument. you said rollins > utley going ahead. rollins has only been remotely close to utley's level for ONE season, this one. he has been great, therefore, for ONE season, one that looks like a career year. stop overrating people based on one season.

dkgojackets 11-12-2007 08:44 PM

Both VORP (offense, in case you haven't figured that stat out yet) and UZR (defense) were being discussed. With as much incorrect information that you provided in this thread, why would I assume you were pointing out something obvious (that TT > HR in fielding) instead of backing up your earlier wrong assumption (that TT > HR overall)?

sublime 11-12-2007 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

rollins has been good for a long while now.

[/ QUOTE ]

now you're changing your argument. you said rollins > utley going ahead. rollins has only been remotely close to utley's level for ONE season, this one. he has been great, therefore, for ONE season, one that looks like a career year. stop overrating people based on one season.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf.

i already stated my agrument about rollins being > going forward was based on projected WARP from PECOTA. not on one great season.

i really want to be shot right now so i am not compelled to come back for more of this.

Thremp 11-12-2007 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the thing is, replacement level SS's are worth more than replacement level 1B.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

MuresanForMVP 11-12-2007 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

shouldn't you be out getting drunk and hitting on all the loose political interns in DC Thremp?

sublime 11-12-2007 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are right, i was wrong with that assumption (wow kids see how easy it is to admit you are incorrect?).

i know it doesn't measure defense quaility, but i was silly to assume that replacement level SS > replacement level 1B.

MuresanForMVP 11-12-2007 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are right, i was wrong with that assumption (wow kids see how easy it is to admit you are incorrect?).

i know it doesn't measure defense quaility, but i was silly to assume that replacement level SS > replacement level 1B.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sublime, you seem to be having a bad night. You should hit the showers, or go to sleep (I'm saying this in the least [censored] way possible).

Hey, here's an awesome music video to cheer you up.

sublime 11-12-2007 08:59 PM

ty muresan. i am going to showers actually.

kyleb 11-12-2007 09:19 PM

warp is a pretty bad stat. that being said, while tulowitzki should have won the roty, it's not like choosing braun was absolutely ludicrous. sorry.

Neuge 11-12-2007 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
warp is a pretty bad stat. that being said, while tulowitzki should have won the roty, it's not like choosing braun was absolutely ludicrous. sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's pretty bad. Even given debates about fielding metrics, Tulo had a total run value anywhere from 50-200% better than Braun.

kyleb 11-12-2007 09:32 PM

don't get me wrong; i think tulo should win it going away. that being said, is it really surprising that braun won it? personally, i am surprised it was as close as it was.

Neuge 11-12-2007 09:34 PM

Obv it's not surprising. That's different debate.

dkgojackets 11-12-2007 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not as bad as Morneau winning MVP.

kyleb 11-12-2007 09:38 PM

yes that one was actually unacceptable. this one is much closer.

ArcticKnight 11-12-2007 10:03 PM

Who cares? We know how they are picked. Why should we suprised, or even care anymore.

chim17 11-13-2007 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No biggie.. just like having one of the best fielding teams ever and not getting a gold glove.

Just like having only one Bronco in the Hall of Fame.

This is to be expected here.

If Tulo played for a NY team he would have had a much better chance.

[/ QUOTE ]
shut the [censored] up

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't crying about anything, but its definitely true. Midwest teams get jobbed on stuff like this. Only one Bronco in the Hall of Fame is a total joke. If a handful of our players were on the East Coast they woulda been in for sure. This is just expected. Same reason Holliday likely won't get MVP. I would be absolutely amazed if he did. Unless they are just clearly head and shoulders above the competition (TD back when he got MVP) there is a huge regional bias.

Also, not sure why you two implied I was crying about it. My entire post was that of complacency above. Who cares about votes like this? They aren't indicative of anything.

Neuge 11-13-2007 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Same reason Holliday likely won't get MVP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but Holliday shouldn't win MVP anyway.

Nez477 11-13-2007 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, I'm probably the biggest Rockies fan on this board and I'm ok with it.

99,968 and counting

[/ QUOTE ]

STFU TROLL

Dudd 11-13-2007 01:19 AM

Your location lies.

Killua 11-13-2007 01:20 AM

It's better for the Rockies if TT loses the award, Scott Boras won't come in asking for 10 million more because he won ROY. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Nez477 11-13-2007 01:22 AM

I was expecting this

Braun mashes

GREAT SUCCESS!!!

Franchise 60 11-13-2007 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No biggie.. just like having one of the best fielding teams ever and not getting a gold glove.

Just like having only one Bronco in the Hall of Fame.

This is to be expected here.

If Tulo played for a NY team he would have had a much better chance.

[/ QUOTE ]
shut the [censored] up

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't crying about anything, but its definitely true. Midwest teams get jobbed on stuff like this. Only one Bronco in the Hall of Fame is a total joke. If a handful of our players were on the East Coast they woulda been in for sure. This is just expected. Same reason Holliday likely won't get MVP. I would be absolutely amazed if he did. Unless they are just clearly head and shoulders above the competition (TD back when he got MVP) there is a huge regional bias.

Also, not sure why you two implied I was crying about it. My entire post was that of complacency above. Who cares about votes like this? They aren't indicative of anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why did Morneau win MVP last year over Jeter???

And is Wisconsin located on the east coast?

Tulo shoulda won though.

Pudge714 11-13-2007 01:27 AM

Also because of the obvious Pro-Milwaukee bias in media.

metsandfinsfan 11-13-2007 01:35 AM

ryan braun had a 153 OPS+ to tolowitskis 108

Neuge 11-13-2007 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ryan braun had a 153 OPS+ to tolowitskis 108

[/ QUOTE ]
No one's debating that. It's just that Tulo's defense more than made up for the difference. Way more.

chim17 11-13-2007 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also because of the obvious Pro-Milwaukee bias in media.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said Braun didn't deserve it. The point of this thread was "Rockies fans are gonna be pissed", the point of my post was Colorado fans don't care because our guys don't win awards.

Phildo 11-13-2007 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's pretty bad. Even given debates about fielding metrics, Tulo had a total run value anywhere from 50-200% better than Braun.

[/ QUOTE ]
what would ryan braun's stats look like if he got to play in the rockies gimmick park for half his games? looking at tulowitzki's home/away splits is like night and day

same for mvp candidate holliday. rockies players should be disqualified from eligibility for any award that takes offense into account

Killua 11-13-2007 01:54 AM

The Rockies have been in the mlb for like 15 years and you're complaining about awards.

chim17 11-13-2007 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Rockies have been in the mlb for like 15 years and you're complaining about awards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is? My whole post at first was saying it doesn't matter no one is gonna be pissed.

I'm certainly not complaining about awards, I am saying in all sports we are used to not caring about them here.

Please quote where I was complaining about this award. I may have improperly inferred it be saying we are historically jobbed on awards here, but I never said Tulo deserved it more and I never said I am pissed about this.

Neuge 11-13-2007 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what would ryan braun's stats look like if he got to play in the rockies gimmick park for half his games? looking at tulowitzki's home/away splits is like night and day

same for mvp candidate holliday. rockies players should be disqualified from eligibility for any award that takes offense into account

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhhh, isn't VORP park-adjusted? I always thought it was.

vhawk01 11-13-2007 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And like I said earlier, this goes even more for Phillies players right?

AbreuTime 11-13-2007 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
TT has a .719 away OPS?!? This is what voters (who are always 2 or 3 stats behind the times, at least with respect to stat nerds) see.

Phildo 11-13-2007 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
using baseball reference's park factor, coors field is a good bit more offense friendly than citizens bank park

are baseball reference's park factors off?

vhawk01 11-13-2007 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
using baseball reference's park factor, coors field is a good bit more offense friendly than citizens bank park

are baseball reference's park factors off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh, I was under the impression that Coors Field was no longer the offensive juggernaut field that it used to be. Maybe I'm thinking solely of HRs?

EDIT: Guess I should have said Boston.

Phildo 11-13-2007 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
TT has a .719 away OPS?!? This is what voters (who are always 2 or 3 stats behind the times, at least with respect to stat nerds) see.

[/ QUOTE ]
sadly most of the voters are probably still using ba/rbi/hr, and even those look pretty bad for troy when looking at his splits

Phildo 11-13-2007 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh, I was under the impression that Coors Field was no longer the offensive juggernaut field that it used to be. Maybe I'm thinking solely of HRs?

[/ QUOTE ]
according to baseball reference coors was 109 for batting and pitching (over 100 favors batting) while citizens was 104 for batting and 103 for pitching this year. dunno how accurate their numbers are though

vhawk01 11-13-2007 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
according to baseball reference coors was 109 for batting and pitching (over 100 favors batting) while citizens was 104 for batting and 103 for pitching this year. dunno how accurate their numbers are though

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you have that number? I can only find the 3 year averages for 2007 (so presumably 2005-2007) and its 108 for batting at Coors and 105 for batting at Citizens Bank. Still probably a pretty significant advantage, to be sure, but I dont ever hear anyone talk about how infalted Rollins and Utleys and Howards numbers are because they play there. Ditto for ManRam and Papi.

And bear in mind, when I say "anyone" I mean typical sports fans and media, not people who actually use park-adjusted numbers and such.

Neuge 11-13-2007 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhhh, isn't VORP park-adjusted? I always thought it was.

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I can gather, yes VORP is park adjusted.