Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Community (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   The Well: Adanthar (1/16/07) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=307462)

adanthar 01-19-2007 08:13 PM

Re: The Well: Adanthar (1/16/07)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Adanthar,

What do you think would be the quickest way to teach someone to make $15-20 an hour playing poker, assuming they know nothing about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

low limit sngs, no question about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
What players, be they live or online, that you've run into have really impressed you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was really impressed by ZJ at the PCA this year. I still am impressed by Gigabet as a player - he might not be as good now, but he intuitively got ICM before anyone knew what it was. Others...I mean, almost any STT or MTT poster from years ago that now plays high limits is really good. Also, Schneids' limit hands in BBV totally blow me away because I don't even understand the level of thinking required there.

[ QUOTE ]
What is your largest tournament score and how did you celebrate it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had two huge scores. The first was winning the Stars 1M for 112K back in April. The other was the Cake 1% (IMO this one is the bigger one long term).

I didn't do much partying for either of them...took my wife out to dinner and a nice bottle of Chimay for the first one and spent a few hundred buying dinner for 2+2'ers after Cake. I'm a pretty quiet guy that way.

[ QUOTE ]
In order to become an excellent tournament player which are the most important concepts to understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bubble ownage, restealing, and position, pretty much in that order IMO. I don't think you can win big long term without at least two out of three. However, LAGs have a whole different order of things they need to know, like thin value bets.

[ QUOTE ]
What are the most and least profitable tournaments online?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything with an overlay is very profitable [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I still play things like random $55's on Bodog on occasion just because of that. IMO, a tourney pro *has to* have a roll on every site solely to take advantage of things like this.

On the other side of the coin, I hate a lot of the higher Stars buyins. The only one I regularly play is the 1M (and the Stuper when I play weeknights). Sure, I could still eke out a long term profit in the 200r, but why bother when there is so much else out there? There's no reason to sit down in a bad game these days.

[ QUOTE ]
One of the very few pieces of direct advice my father ever game me was 'don't go to law school', was this advise accurate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Law school kicked ass. "Don't be a lawyer"...yeah, I can see that one. It's not the worst thing in the world, but boy, that BIGLAW salary just ain't that big of a deal to me these days.

[ QUOTE ]
If all online poker sites closed down besides ultimate bet, would you ever play online poker again?

[/ QUOTE ]

if they all closed down, I'd start my own si...oh wait

JP OSU 01-19-2007 10:36 PM

What was it about law school that appealed to you in the first place? Also what made you enjoy it so much while you where there?

adanthar 01-20-2007 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What was it about law school that appealed to you in the first place? Also what made you enjoy it so much while you where there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I come from an 80 year old/multiple 3 generation line of lawyers and pretty much knew I would go to law school since I was about six. Not to worry, there's also a circus strongman in there somewhere!

As far as law school goes...like I said, there wasn't any actual 'law school' about it at all, heh.

nath 01-20-2007 03:08 AM

I feel like I should ask you something, but I can't think of anything specific. In lieu of that, anything you have to offer to elevate my game or life to the level they are capable of being would be appreciated.

adanthar 01-20-2007 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I should ask you something, but I can't think of anything specific. In lieu of that, anything you have to offer to elevate my game or life to the level they are capable of being would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...okay, let's try it like this. I'm not a wet blanket when it comes to parties and I'm not really eligible for an FBI job. On the other hand, not only am I married and anti-strip club, my wife and I live on a ~3K a month budget. So non-balla it hurts (well OK there's that 2K massage chair...), but I have six figs saved up, will be using a bunch of it as a downpayment on an LV condo very soon (oh yeah, I've decided we're moving to Vegas for a while...), and I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life.

Here's the thing: most 18-24 year olds in this game right now have gone from zero to six figures without ever making any stops along the way. As a result, you get lots of yvesaints and not much else to show for it when the roll takes a hit for whatever reason. You also get tons of stress, because poker is such a high variance game (for you especially) and the self-confidence you need to win can vanish at any point. Add in this whole poker groupie BS and the fact that all your friends your age are either spending four figs a night or happen to be sandwich artists...it's a [censored] up environment to grow up in. I might be the old man of this poker generation, but I'm very sure I'm right about this.

I grew up with good money management (thx immigrant parents) and still have that 90K in student loans over my head. So the first thing I've always done after winning is made sure to protect the money, and as a result, I've got more of it than I have any business keeping/am not stressed out about losing one or a hundred donkaments.

I also just have this feeling that anybody that implodes after losing like, to be totally honest, you do, cannot succeed in this game long term. That's something aside from this and something you have to really mentally work on.

rothko 01-20-2007 04:30 PM

excellent posts.

did you play the other cake tourneys and go for three percent?

burningyen 01-20-2007 05:48 PM

173 is easily good enough to get into Columbia. Law school was great, but I was/am a geek who actually enjoyed the classes and not just all the free time. And BigLaw may suck, but you have to admit it's a great safety net.

How did Gigabet cheat in SNGs? I missed that bit of gossip.

How would you play this hand taken from PXF: Last 4 players of a Stars $100r. Only read is Button likes to slowplay. You're the best player at the table by a good margin. Payouts are:

1st: 30%
2nd: 20%
3rd: 11.9%
4th: 8%

Adjusting for locked up 4th place money, the players are playing for:

1st: 58%
2nd: 32%
3rd: 10%

After posting 6k/12k/600, stacks are:

UTG: 8,350
Button: 288,892
SB: 225,730
Hero: 383,128

Pre-flop (20,400): Hero is dealt AsKs

UTG pushes for 8,350, Button limps for 12,000, SB folds.

A) What's your play?
B) Assume you raised to 57,500 and Button shoves. What's your play?
C) Assume you know for a fact Button has a medium pair. Do you take the flip?

adanthar 01-20-2007 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
excellent posts.

did you play the other cake tourneys and go for three percent?

[/ QUOTE ]

The other 2% went to affiliates. If they ran another dozen tourneys I'd directly buy into all of them, though!

re: 173 - I actually applied early decision there and got waitlisted. In fact, my total tally was 7 apps, 5 waitlists (split GPA/LSATs tend to do that.) Oh well, whatever.

PXF: With no read, I'd raise/call and shrug (even if he has a midpair there are too many chips in there by now). If I could put button on an actual midpair PF just from the limp for some reason - and there's almost no way that's possible since he can easily still do this with say AQ - I would, of course, check it down, but there's no particular reason to think that/payouts are top heavy anyway.

bugstud 01-21-2007 01:25 AM

Ok, magically you are only allowed to have $1k on stars. Detail a plan to make that $1k a reasonable number over time via sats/mtts

Also, thx for dinner.

psyduck 01-21-2007 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...okay, let's try it like this. I'm not a wet blanket when it comes to parties and I'm not really eligible for an FBI job. On the other hand, not only am I married and anti-strip club, my wife and I live on a ~3K a month budget. So non-balla it hurts (well OK there's that 2K massage chair...), but I have six figs saved up, will be using a bunch of it as a downpayment on an LV condo very soon (oh yeah, I've decided we're moving to Vegas for a while...), and I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life.

Here's the thing: most 18-24 year olds in this game right now have gone from zero to six figures without ever making any stops along the way. As a result, you get lots of yvesaints and not much else to show for it when the roll takes a hit for whatever reason. You also get tons of stress, because poker is such a high variance game (for you especially) and the self-confidence you need to win can vanish at any point. Add in this whole poker groupie BS and the fact that all your friends your age are either spending four figs a night or happen to be sandwich artists...it's a [censored] up environment to grow up in. I might be the old man of this poker generation, but I'm very sure I'm right about this.

I grew up with good money management (thx immigrant parents) and still have that 90K in student loans over my head. So the first thing I've always done after winning is made sure to protect the money, and as a result, I've got more of it than I have any business keeping/am not stressed out about losing one or a hundred donkaments.

I also just have this feeling that anybody that implodes after losing like, to be totally honest, you do, cannot succeed in this game long term. That's something aside from this and something you have to really mentally work on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent mindset, this is how I need to train myself to think.

gettym 01-21-2007 02:25 AM

whats the cake 1%? can you explain this to me.

rothko 01-21-2007 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

here's the deets

adanthar 01-21-2007 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, magically you are only allowed to have $1k on stars. Detail a plan to make that $1k a reasonable number over time via sats/mtts

[/ QUOTE ]

I could do 1K to say 10K pretty quick in terms of # of days, but it'd take a lot of hours...I'd probably play every 11r to 215 sat Stars puts up, all of the sats to the Stuper, everything else cheap that pays T$, and fill the rest in with 20/180's and HORSE SNG's (huge ROI in those when they run). My problem with this would be the boredom and the raw hours required, but it'd be doable...basically though, the further off the beaten path you go the higher the return.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post8693198

edit: beaten

btw for the record/given current developments, when I get around to doing the paperwork, the shares are being given to an uncle in Russia and put into a trust. No sense taking chances.

Slonye6 01-22-2007 03:29 AM

I'm 6 months out of undergrad. I have been considering going to law school, because I cannot force myself to get a job that will pay me less than what I make at middle stakes (major in business management, blech). I have a highly logical/analytical mind and actually enjoy taking practice LSATs for the logic games etc, and I love argumentation for argumentation's sake. However, I certainly can't say "I want to be a lawyer" with any degree of certainty. All the threads I've seen on 2p2 for years relating to law school always contain 10+ posters saying "If you aren't 101%, bet-your-life, sure you want to be a lawyer, stay the F out of law school, or else you will be miserable." I took an LSAT cold for fun, before I really even knew what the test consisted of (did not realize it was very similar to SAT verbal or had logic games) and scored 172. (I did not hold myself to a super strict time limit, as I was doing it in class my sophmore year of undergrad. Class was 2.5 hours long, I probably had 20-25ish minutes more than I was supposed to.)

My father was a lawyer, and hated it. My uncle is a lawyer, and is a bitter old piece of crap who managed to swindle my college fund from my senile grandfather. The idea of going deeply into debt for a job I could hate is not appealing. However, I feel like logic and argumentation is genetically encoded in me. How am I supposed to know 100% that I want to have a job before I can even be schooled for it? (<--Rhetorical)

Any advice on figuring out if I should go through the immense aggravation of attempting law school?

Do you know anything of the financial aid situation for 90th percentile + LSAT scorers for law school?

PS - My GPA is crap, ~2.95. A simple "No, No" is just fine if you don't feel you can advise me.

Sorry is this rambles on or is overspecific. Thank you very much in advance.

omaha 01-22-2007 09:43 AM

Okay, simple question adanthar, but the answer is prolly 'it depends', as always

If one was a good cash player, a good mtt player, and a good sng player, assuming the same roll, what would earn the most money? I would assume that cash would have the least variance, followed by sngs, and mtt. My gut feeling is that the low level stars mtts are dominated by much greater fish than the others.

I have played about 250 mtts on stars, but v v v little cash or sngs.

You seem to play mtts in preference to sngs, why?

Also, how did gigabet cheat?

Lastly, you talk about restealing vs stealing. On some tourneys $4 or 6 on stars, i have been so card dead but raised pf so much its not funny. Everyone seems to drop, and, if i stop making a few stupid calls, my roi should be much better than the nice +number its at at the moment.

I found that mtts could almost be played just by raising, cbetting, and dropping (or shoving) to a raise. THrow in a few shoves on button/sb thanks to the SC numbers, and you are in contention more often than not.

Jeff76 01-22-2007 12:22 PM

I 6max really more profitable than FR? I haven't played a lot of 6max so I'm curious.

Plus1Plus1 01-22-2007 03:30 PM

[quoteI could do 1K to say 10K pretty quick in terms of # of days, but it'd take a lot of hours...I'd probably play every 11r to 215 sat Stars puts up, all of the sats to the Stuper, everything else cheap that pays T$, and fill the rest in with 20/180's and HORSE SNG's (huge ROI in those when they run).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Adanthar, thanks for the helpful advice in this thread.

I'm just curious if you have any additional tips (I've read the sattelite threads) for playing these rebuy sattelites. Specifically, I have a lot of trouble coming out of the rebuy consistantly with a lot of chips. Since I am a person who really is working on a $1k bankroll, rebuying in an $11 a bunch of times seems hazardous...

I am very curious as to how you would manage your bankroll playing these kinds of events. Fear of running bad has basically kept me from playing them.

adanthar 01-22-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice on figuring out if I should go through the immense aggravation of attempting law school?

Do you know anything of the financial aid situation for 90th percentile + LSAT scorers for law school?

PS - My GPA is crap, ~2.95. A simple "No, No" is just fine if you don't feel you can advise me.

Sorry is this rambles on or is overspecific. Thank you very much in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that you will hate being a lawyer and will also hate the amount of debt you'll be facing. However, being in school as a poker player is a huge advantage, because it helpfully fills the giant hole in your resume and you can always figure out something else to do afterwards.

First things first - go to the LSAC.org website and check your stats in their calculator. My guess is that with say a 175, you can get in anywhere in the bottom of tier 1 and down, maybe a bit higher. If you're willing to go to a tier 2, or maybe upper tier 3, you can get a full ride, which would be much more palatable in your situation. However, make sure that the full ride is guaranteed - many schools will only guarantee it for 1L pending your grades, and as a poker player who may well hate law school, you have no clue what those will look like.

Also, with your major, I would look into an MBA, instead...especially if you can do it in Canada. Unlike JD's, Canadian MBA's should transfer well down to the States, but being in Canada and potentially finding work there after school ends has certain advantages right now.

[ QUOTE ]
If one was a good cash player, a good mtt player, and a good sng player, assuming the same roll, what would earn the most money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cash would definitely earn the most at any reasonable level. However, SNG players have far less variance. MTT pros probably earn somewhat less than full time 20 tabling SNG pros, but with far more variance at the top end (obv). Cash players also continually run into the "move up stakes and get crushed" downswing, which is 10x worse in cash than either of the others.

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to play mtts in preference to sngs, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

SNG's are boring [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I 6max really more profitable than FR? I haven't played a lot of 6max so I'm curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but solely because of the type of player that is a fish at 6 max rather than FR. FR 'fish' at most sites are set mining nits that can be exploited, but slowly. 6 max fish are far more aggressive and will often stack off very light. If the number of 6 max fish were to evenly spread out between 6 max and FR overnight, there'd be no need to ever play 6 max again IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
I am very curious as to how you would manage your bankroll playing (1K to 10K). Fear of running bad has basically kept me from playing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't run bad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Umm...I simply feel my edge is big enough in those types of events that I would never be in much danger of busto. If you are worried about specifically sats, buy some books, learn HORSE and play that. Lower level HORSE players don't even know the hand rankings for 1-2 of the games on average, so it's practically impossible to be a thinking, winning player there and lose long term.

rothko 01-22-2007 07:40 PM

tell us more about the move to vegas. hoping to play more live or other reasons, etc?

adanthar 01-22-2007 08:15 PM

I did the math and a)this saves me like (a very large number) in taxes, b)I can buy a condo and deduct more from taxes/have a pool and a gym two minutes' walk from my door, c)vegas is cheaper than NYC, d)pacific time zone = normal sleep schedule...I mean, there's basically every reason to move, especially if I want to own property soon. holla.

grader6 01-22-2007 11:43 PM

Thnx, can u link us to your $55 SnG pushbot strategy

ASPoker8 01-23-2007 12:03 AM

Are you gonna be mod of BBV!?

grader6 01-23-2007 12:12 AM

also, why do you feel SSHE &HEPFAP are outdated books for limit HE?

elstunar 01-23-2007 06:07 AM

ok, here's my go:

1) suppose you and 999 other players who were randomly selected from a Sunday Million are playing a MTT w/ the same structure as a regular sunday million. Estimate your % chance of winning here on average. Also, assuming that one's % chance of winning a MTT like this can max out somewhere (i.e. they are the best player evar, thus their winning % is maxed) depending on their skill set and some other variables, what would you guess this % is?

2) what sports/games do you enjoy playing other than poker?

3) do you think time travel will ever be possible while humans still inhabit the earth?

4) if you had to choose to be one of the following and they all pay the same salary, which would you choose (and rank them if you want to): a)teacher b)doctor c)lawyer d)poker player e)astronaut

5) do you like the Electoral College system?

if any of this is incoherent, it's 4am

adanthar 01-23-2007 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thnx, can u link us to your $55 SnG pushbot strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote it up for Party's old structure/players so it's pretty much thoroughly useless now [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
also, why do you feel SSHE &HEPFAP are outdated books for limit HE?

[/ QUOTE ]

Few people really play like the default players mentioned in those book anymore...they were written for calling station games, and today's games are full of LAGtards.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you gonna be mod of BBV!?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe

[ QUOTE ]
ok, here's my go:

1) suppose you and 999 other players who were randomly selected from a Sunday Million are playing a MTT w/ the same structure as a regular sunday million. Estimate your % chance of winning here on average. Also, assuming that one's % chance of winning a MTT like this can max out somewhere (i.e. they are the best player evar, thus their winning % is maxed) depending on their skill set and some other variables, what would you guess this % is?

My guess is .3-4%...the best would be around .5%? Dunno, this one's been debated forever

2) what sports/games do you enjoy playing other than poker?

I used to be a decent chess player and also played soccer. of course, that was before I stopped going outside.

3) do you think time travel will ever be possible while humans still inhabit the earth?

only on the quantum level, which precludes most movies but not all of them

4) if you had to choose to be one of the following and they all pay the same salary, which would you choose (and rank them if you want to): a)teacher b)doctor c)lawyer d)poker player e)astronaut

astronaut if I don't have to do anything to get there, otherwise poker player

5) do you like the Electoral College system?

other than particularly in 2000, yes, and it would have been fine anyway if Palm Beach county could have designed a ballot properly

[/ QUOTE ]

0evg0 01-23-2007 02:49 PM

are you saying you'd have a 1.3 to 1.4% chance of winning? and 1.5% is the best?

burningyen 01-23-2007 02:54 PM

No, he's saying he has a .3-.4% chance, i.e. 3-4 out of 1000.

Suited76 01-23-2007 04:23 PM

Maybe this is a little NVG, but I'm hoping you don't mind answering a few questions about gigabet and mining the step 5s.

Can you elaborate on the "gigabet cheating" that you mentioned earlier? I know he disappeared and I've read several threads on him cheating/busto, but never any real details about the cheating. I don't intend any disrespect for him because I'm one troll who definitely misses his posts.

It seems like I remember you stating that one of the very best step 5 players had a massive tell. Since Party is dead to us US players now, can you at least reveal the tell if not the player? I've always been curious.

Lastly, what did you think about the "Gigabet Theories of Stack Sizes" thread where he explained the Q3o hand? There are some intriguing concepts for my feeble poker mind, but is this something that you actively use in your game?

Thanks a ton. Very interesting so far.

adanthar 01-23-2007 04:40 PM

Gigabet cheating is not my story to tell and I heard it second hand, so on the off chance it's false I am not gonna repeat it. He was almost definitely not cheating while I was datamining, though; that came later.

I'm pretty sure genoa_st was the guy with the tell (although it might've been spyhard...I'm not sure now without my notes). It was an absolutely ridiculous thing where he would minbet into people every time he flopped 2 pair+. Yay implied set odds.

Block theory: I personally hardly ever use it. Almost no one does, and when they use it, most of the time they totally miss the point of what it was supposed to be about. I'll take a crack at explaining it, but please don't ask for more if you don't get it, because it's sort of pointless and just derails most of the threads it's brought up in...

Okay, so you have 30K chips 5 handed in an SNG. The four other guys have 5K, 10K, 15K and 20K. The 5K stack pushes into your BB and you have 92o getting, like, 1.8:1, so it's -EV to call by a fair bit. Gigabet would call here. Why? Because winning would get him 35K chips on the bubble and he can properly bully everyone, while losing still lets him keep the chip lead and he can still raise very light (also making his table image so maniacal that people won't reshove any two on him, knowing he calls light).

That's the entire theory and I have no clue why hardly anybody ever got it, especially because it so rarely comes up in an actual game situation.

Inyaface 01-23-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Adanthar,
Don't you think this can apply to people of all ages who come into money quickly through poker ie Chris Moneymaker etc?

I know many people under 22 who have tons of money yet manage it very well. While many of them spend 4 figs at night at a bar on occasion they also have 100's of thousands invested or saved.

Also I agree that variance can be killer mentally but that if you practice proper BR managment and more importantly play at a level your comfotable at you should be fine. I was overrolled for 5/10 yet played 2-4 and 3-6 until I was comfotable with taking the associated swings.

Also these are more comments then questions but I really enjoyed reading the thread....question mark?

KingDan 01-23-2007 09:53 PM

Ad,

What do you consider decent at chess?
Holla back if you want a game. I'm usually somewhere in the 2100 range (uscf) depending on how tilted I am.

Also would appreciate if you have any general comments regarding good backing deals.

NorthernGuy 01-23-2007 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Adanthar,
Don't you think this can apply to people of all ages who come into money quickly through poker ie Chris Moneymaker etc?

I know many people under 22 who have tons of money yet manage it very well. While many of them spend 4 figs at night at a bar on occasion they also have 100's of thousands invested or saved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to know what you think about this Adanthar, as I truly don't believe this is accurate. I don't know of many young people 22 or under that really even know what it's like to work to have a roof over you head and food on the table, let alone put much of these winnings into investments. Anyone that goes out and spends four figures at a bar isn't of the mindset to save and invest. I think most are in for a big surprise if/when the poker boom busts.

adanthar 01-24-2007 12:16 AM

Chris Moneymaker's an accountant, so regardless of his skill at poker or how much he blew, I would be surprised if he didn't have several hundred thousand saved up for something, plowed into a house, a business...something. This isn't something that a lot of people are thinking about. Don't get me wrong - there are lots of guys out there that have six or even seven figures totally squared away and accounted for - but if online poker shut down tomorrow a lot of people would be busto overnight. I don't think it will (actually I'm certain it won't) and I don't think that we're gonna see a wave of talented 24 year olds declaring bankruptcy, but the fact is, for every individual that's overrated on the pocketfives leaderboard or whatever, there are probably five people that are relying on this month's (and next month's) donkament win to make the April 15'th tax payment because they blew everything from last month on Dom. For that matter, now that people have been scared into paying taxes for the first time, I'm sure April 15'th will wipe entire bankrolls out for hundreds. So wrong.

Also, I was never anywhere near 2100 at chess [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Good backing deals...I've taken both 1:1 and 2:1 on individual tournaments, for different reasons. I've also seen all sorts of makeup/no makeup backing deals of various types. In my opinion, and this is *only* my opinion, every situation is different, etc...I would not take *any* long term backing deal for both live and online play, and I also wouldn't take anything requiring makeup. Live is different because the variance is so huge, but if you are also backed for the Internet you can get in too deep very quickly.

Inyaface 01-24-2007 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chris Moneymaker's an accountant, so regardless of his skill at poker or how much he blew, I would be surprised if he didn't have several hundred thousand saved up for something, plowed into a house, a business...something. This isn't something that a lot of people are thinking about. Don't get me wrong - there are lots of guys out there that have six or even seven figures totally squared away and accounted for - but if online poker shut down tomorrow a lot of people would be busto overnight. I don't think it will (actually I'm certain it won't) and I don't think that we're gonna see a wave of talented 24 year olds declaring bankruptcy, but the fact is, for every individual that's overrated on the pocketfives leaderboard or whatever, there are probably five people that are relying on this month's (and next month's) donkament win to make the April 15'th tax payment because they blew everything from last month on Dom. For that matter, now that people have been scared into paying taxes for the first time, I'm sure April 15'th will wipe entire bankrolls out for hundreds. So wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true about Moneymaker, that was a bad example but a lot of name vegas pros are busto from pit games etc. I agree with what your saying however I feel that upbringing and personallity most influence how a person deals with gaining large sums of poker money. On the other hand gaining life experience should lead to good life/bankroll/money management and a lack of this experience might hinder some younger players.

rothko 01-24-2007 03:47 AM

not sure why moneymaker comes up. maybe he blew a bunch--divorce probably didn't help. however, he has a large ongoing revenue stream from his endorsements and company, moneymaker gaming.

fish leader 11-07-2007 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Adanthar,

Are there any threads that clicked the light bulb on for you?
What are they?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Once upon a time, there was an SNG pro called Gigabet. Gigabet crushed SNG's...I mean literally crushed them, for ROI's that would be considered 5x unattainable today...and no one knew why. (Well, it turns out a bunch of that was from cheating, but the cheating came long after this story.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to threads about Gigabet cheating? Never saw them first time around...