Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   The psycology of tilt (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547767)

Monster207 11-16-2007 06:31 PM

Re: The psycology of tilt

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I for one do not believe that you can just tell yourself to not tilt, nor can you control it at first. Imho there is nothing else to do than internalize it be aware of what is happening, think it over .. rinse wash and repeat. Then after a while it goes from the subconsious to the consious and you start to cope with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is right on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is definitely correct as well. The poster who mentioned working as a telemarketer is a perfect example of how someone can exercise self control during extremely frustrating times. Recently I've begun to try and apply this kind of self control to all other aspects of my life. I feel that by constantly applying a higher level of self discipline to my emotions than I am used too, I will be able to consciously make much better choices when on tilt at the tables (i.e. get up and wake away, take a breather etc.) Although this takes quite a bit of dedication I think its an excellent way to condition yourself to be less of a results oriented tilt monkey and more of a self-disciplined poker player. just my 2 cents

kaz2107 11-16-2007 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I for one do not believe that you can just tell yourself to not tilt, nor can you control it at first. Imho there is nothing else to do than internalize it be aware of what is happening, think it over .. rinse wash and repeat. Then after a while it goes from the subconsious to the consious and you start to cope with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]i think that u can tell urself to not tilt. but it is sort of different then to say "woops dont tilt off a stack." i have to take a 10 second break and take a few deep breaths. then tell myself "make sure u think logically." then i go back of said hand or hands that "tilted" me to begin with. this allows me to either figure out if i played the hand optimally and the end result was not what i wanted ie. suckout or cooler. or the other option is that i missplayed a hand (this often tilts me much more then a cooler or sucked out on because i have control of this and hate making mistakes.) so i replay the hand while i am chillin out and the table and settling back down and think of alternative lines or w/e that could make the hand better and thus more profitable.

i think if u keep in mind the overall goal of poker is to be making money (or at least that is mine) that it is pretty tough to tilt knowing that u r in fact doing things that are losing u lots of money and hurting u. so i just try to remind myself that i am doin this to make money and tilting will b worse then just stoping if need be. takin a chill pill and nut pedaling for the next 10 mins is also good and lets u refocus.

Gelford 11-16-2007 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is definitely correct as well. The poster who mentioned working as a telemarketer is a perfect example of how someone can exercise self control during extremely frustrating times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that poster was me as well .. hehe.

But actually the challenge in that job was not to control my own emotions as much as having people start conversations by yelling at me (or whatever) because my compagny screwed up. So I had to end their 'tilt' (and then sell 'em something preferably)

Gelford 11-16-2007 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]i think that u can tell urself to not tilt. but it is sort of different then to say "woops dont tilt off a stack." i have to take a 10 second break and take a few deep breaths. then tell myself "make sure u think logically." then i go back of said hand or hands that "tilted" me to begin with. this allows me to either figure out if i played the hand optimally and the end result was not what i wanted ie. suckout or cooler. or the other option is that i missplayed a hand (this often tilts me much more then a cooler or sucked out on because i have control of this and hate making mistakes.) so i replay the hand while i am chillin out and the table and settling back down and think of alternative lines or w/e that could make the hand better and thus more profitable.

i think if u keep in mind the overall goal of poker is to be making money (or at least that is mine) that it is pretty tough to tilt knowing that u r in fact doing things that are losing u lots of money and hurting u. so i just try to remind myself that i am doin this to make money and tilting will b worse then just stoping if need be. takin a chill pill and nut pedaling for the next 10 mins is also good and lets u refocus.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the old Jman argument (or at least I think it was Jman, at least one of the sng greats of yesteryear, and yes he is now also a cash legend, but this was in the 47outs period while he still 'only' played 5/10)

He had a hard time tilting in sngs, because he had worked out all the math and it is hard to push, when you know it it -EV.

But ... things are unclear in cash ... you can play lag or tag .. and there are rumours that you should protect yourself by increasing bluffing and all other stuff.

So all in all, it is harder to discern is you are making a mistake (unlike pushbotting) and this is why tilting like a cow can be so common in cash (which was Jmans observation, he almost never tilted in sngs, but had issues in cash)

kaz2107 11-16-2007 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the old Jman argument (or at least I think it was Jman, at least one of the sng greats of yesteryear, and yes he is now also a cash legend, but this was in the 47outs period while he still 'only' played 5/10)

He had a hard time tilting in sngs, because he had worked out all the math and it is hard to push, when you know it it -EV.

But ... things are unclear in cash ... you can play lag or tag .. and there are rumours that you should protect yourself by increasing bluffing and all other stuff.

So all in all, it is harder to discern is you are making a mistake (unlike pushbotting) and this is why tilting like a cow can be so common in cash (which was Jmans observation, he almost never tilted in sngs, but had issues in cash)

[/ QUOTE ]yea i remember that too. not sure if it was jman but sounds like sumtin he would say. but i agree with wut u r sayin. i was mainly talking about like open shoving preflop and like putting my whole roll on the line at a 5/10 game or sumtin that i clearly know is -EV and retarted. the minor tilts are not that bad imo and will not b that -EV if u r thinkin logically and not being retarted. u might b slightly biased towards a play that u might normally get away from or sumtin but nothing that will kill a roll or n e thing substancial.

i think these minor ones happen like every session whether it is from winning every hand and thus callin to much or bluff too much because everything else has worked or the oposite when u r getting cr on the flop all day and then 3 bet all in with a flush draw against a calling station. those arent that bad and u prolly will still have reasonable equity versus said villian even when [censored] doesnt work out thus i dont think it is that big of a deal as long as it isnt a habbit or n e thing weird