Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   pros tipping dealers (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=541875)

otter 11-09-2007 05:00 PM

Re: pros tipping dealers

[ QUOTE ]

If I thought a tip would make a dealer be anything but impartial, I would never tip that dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluegrass Poker 11-09-2007 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If "those" jobs suck so much, ya might want to try doing something different for a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

"worked" is past tense. She didn't say she was working those jobs now.

Javanewt 11-09-2007 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If "those" jobs suck so much, ya might want to try doing something different for a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the use of the past tense.

Edit: Thanks, Bluegrass -- you beat me to it.

dbldwnblue 11-09-2007 05:47 PM

I dont think of myself as a pro at all... as a matter of fact Im completely the opposite. Im the dealer you guys are toking. And Im good at what I do. I appriciate any toke I get from $1 to $25 (which I got from a very nice gentleman just two nights ago for a $600 pot in 1/2NL).

However. Its the A-holes that dont tip a dime that I dont understand. These are the same people that give a bartender $1 per drink and tip 10 to 15% when they go out and eat... and guess what. They make the same base salary as I do... Yup thats right, I make minimum wage which after taxes and insurance comes out to less than $300 every two weeks. And thats working full time.

I have no respect for those pros (and most of them do concider themselves either pros or semi-pros).

Thats my two cents.

Percula 11-09-2007 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tip 1 dollar every hand I win except a few times when I just steal the blinds. Then I usually feel guilty and tip anyways.

I tip 1 dollar anytime a dealer is being abused by a player and acts professionally.

I tip 1 dollar anytime the dealer is exceptional at fills.

I tip 1 dollar anytiem the dealer gives me the time out of the time pot without me asking (I dont want this to become a time pot thread)

I tip 1 dollar if I like the dealer.

I tip the bathroom guy 10 dollars every week.

I tip the cashier 2 dollars.

Your job is a lot better than theirs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep this is about right...

But I also tip the valet coming and going $1. And tip excellent mistake free dealers $1 at the end of their down and tell them why.

AlienBoy 11-09-2007 07:52 PM

I typically tip 1% - 1% is about the correct amount to tip for the work they are doing. I don't know anyone that tips more. Some tip a max of $1 a pot regardless of size. However, a little more on the big pots helps to keep the dealer on your side if a dispute arises.

I round up to 1% so that it is at least one dollar, but:

1) I do not tip if there is no flop action, or if there is only one flop caller and no turn action (in a limit game that is) - this pot is too small (under 20 - 30) to tip. (NOTE: This is here in LA, where the drop after the flop is heinous, regardless of pot size - so without flop action, the pot is miniscule).

2) I tip extra if the dealer is exceptional and professional. For instance, when they are leaving the table and they have been very sharp, I'll toss em another buck.

3) I DO NOT TIP AT ALL dealers that are rude, surly, unprofessional, incompetent, or that don't pay attention and don't do their jobs.

As an example, last night a dealer was asleep at the wheel - and she dealt the river before action was complete. After that river card was reshuffled, a new river card brought a retarded chaser his runner runner flush,. killing my two pair.

I lost a $152 pot as a result. That dealer (Hong at H.Park) will never see another tip from me, until she pushes 152 winning pots my way.

AB

Miamipuck 11-09-2007 08:44 PM

Wowzer, I guess you can call me a low limit pro as I play 3-6 days a week and do pretty well. I play 1-2 NL $100max at the Hard Rock in Hollywood, Florida. I tip way too freaking much compared to you guys. Oh well I will rectify that. I will still tip but not nearly as much.

Al_Capone_Junior 11-09-2007 09:43 PM

What's 100% accurate is that most pros tip a buck if you're lucky and the rest are stiffs.

My fav tho was this schmuck who "moved to vegas to play poker for a living." In order to avoid having to tip an entire $1, he brought his own fifty cent pieces. The best part was his claim that this "saved him ten grand a year." Do the math. Assuming he's saving 50 cents a potn that's about 55 pots a day, every day, all year long. Ooooooookaaaaaaaay. He lasted about a month.

Al

dbldwnblue 11-09-2007 10:42 PM

I do agree with Alien. If the dealer doeant do their job then the tips should be hard to come by. But I still have a beef with the people that dont tip at all...PERIOD

RR 11-10-2007 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's 100% accurate is that most pros tip a buck if you're lucky and the rest are stiffs.

My fav tho was this schmuck who "moved to vegas to play poker for a living." In order to avoid having to tip an entire $1, he brought his own fifty cent pieces. The best part was his claim that this "saved him ten grand a year." Do the math. Assuming he's saving 50 cents a potn that's about 55 pots a day, every day, all year long. Ooooooookaaaaaaaay. He lasted about a month.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Back when they used to have 50 cent pieces on the tables I saw a guy bring a roll of quarters to the 40-80 so he wouldn't have to tip an entire 50 cents.