Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ask Me Anything About Being An Angel Investor (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=541369)

traz 11-08-2007 02:26 PM

Re: Ask Me Anything About Being An Angel Investor

stake me for 1k NL. Consider me a startup company

DonkeyKongSr 11-08-2007 02:29 PM

Basically RiverFenix hit on my questions. How raw an idea will you invest in? have you invested in an idea alone or do you need to see more formal steps toward achieving and monetizing the idea before you are willing to invest?

traz 11-08-2007 02:32 PM

for serious questions:

What are some of the more creative businesses you've invested in?

How much of your proficiency is based on what you've been taught vs natural ability?

What are some of the biggest projects you've been involved in?

TheDoubleA 11-08-2007 02:32 PM

What are some of the key components that you look for in the people/companies that you decide to invest in?

How do you go about finding these people/companies?

On average, how much time per week do you devote to your 'job' as an angel investor?

What is your education backround?

For you, what is a 'normal' sized investment? What would be the highest size investment that you would be comfortable with?

Do you follow a set of 'bankroll' rules?

How do you go about recieving your interest on your investments? What is the typical turnaround for your investments?

Sorry, I work in corporate finance where I work for a company/family that buys and sells companies as investments. I am sure that it is on a much much larger scale than most people could ever imagine, and I am very interested on how someone does this on an individual basis.

Thanks.

Edited: I am an horrible speller and writer, imo.

offTopic 11-08-2007 02:33 PM

As an individual, how do you go about doing due diligence prior to investing? I'm guessing you aren't a domain expert across all fields.

venture 11-08-2007 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he is serious you guys are wasting a great opportunity to ask questions. It takes a minute to google/wiki angel investors and find out what they do.

I believe I have three stellar ideas for internet businesses. Eventually I'll get around to writing out business plans for them and potentially doing some coding. Ideally if it got that far I'd have 2-3 people to help w/ backend coding, design, etc. Anyway, what is the earliest stage that you've invested in a project? Earliest stage that you saw a pitch for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heres a good real example.

I met a person that had this idea about a free USPS service to mail out letters to anyone in the united states for free. The idea behind it was every user could send real letters for free to friends family etc. The reason it was free because of local advertisements based on address.

For example. Joe's Cleaners in NYNY is an advertiser for this company. So if someone sends a letter within a set radius of Joe's cleaners their ad is in the middle of the persons letter.

I loved the idea and would of invested on the spot. But you don't only invest in the idea, you also invest in the person. This person didn't seem motivated enough to make this happen and would of wasted my idea.

But if the right person pitched me that idea back then I would of signed a check on the spot.

venture 11-08-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are some of the key components that you look for in the people/companies that you decide to invest in?

How do you go about finding these people/companies?

On average, how much time per week do you devote to your 'job' as an angel investor?

What is your education backround?

For you, what is a 'normal' sized investment? What would be the highest size investment that you would be comfortable with?

Do you follow a set of 'bankroll' rules?

How do you go about recieving your interest on your investments? What is the typical turnaround for your investments?

Sorry, I work in corporate finance where I work for a company/family that buys and sells companies as investments. I am sure that it is on a much much larger scale than most people could ever imagine, and I am very interested on how someone does this on an individual basis.

Thanks.

Edited: I am an horrible speller and writer, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recommendations from people I already worked with or they find me and submit ideas to me.

20 hours a week.

Some college..stopped once i realized i didn't need anymore school.

Normal investment = 250k highest i've done was 2.25m but it was a sure thing.

I try to only invest 40% of my BR at one time. The rest is invested in mutual funds.

Turnaround is about 1 year.

kipin 11-08-2007 02:42 PM

You realize the USPS has a government sanctioned monopoly on first class mail right?

CallMeIshmael 11-08-2007 02:43 PM

http://www.cityofangel.com/council/faqs/bca.jpg

venture 11-08-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You realize the USPS has a government sanctioned monopoly on first class mail right?

[/ QUOTE ]

What would be wrong with me paying the bill for you sending out a letter?