Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   the "you win" rule (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535823)

fishyak 11-01-2007 04:44 PM

Re: the \"you win\" rule

Hawaiian Gardens has a big sign: "The 'you win' rule is no longer in effect." up on the wall. No one seems to have a clue what it means.

Photoc 11-01-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In a 1/2 game about a week ago: I raised preflop, got one caller, bet out on the flop and turn, he calls both bets (I was in the BB and he limped on the button) Finally I gave up on the river when it read Q T 4 9 K and I had A5 suited in spades. I said you win, couldn't imagine what he could call all my bets with that wouldn't beat A high with no kicker. Just prior to flinging my cards into the air flying towards the muck he tabled J7 of diamonds (one diamond on the whole board, one on the flop) and said "Thought I might make a hand", I just smiled and still folded my hand, first time in my life I have ever intentionally folded a winner but felt obligated to do so. Am 99% sure that in this room if I had shown down I still would have been awarded the pot.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. Didn't he have a straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I am confused. Where does the poster think A high beats a K Q J 10 9 straight?

bav 11-01-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In a 1/2 game about a week ago: I raised preflop, got one caller, bet out on the flop and turn, he calls both bets (I was in the BB and he limped on the button) Finally I gave up on the river when it read Q T 4 9 K and I had A5 suited in spades. I said you win, couldn't imagine what he could call all my bets with that wouldn't beat A high with no kicker. Just prior to flinging my cards into the air flying towards the muck he tabled J7 of diamonds (one diamond on the whole board, one on the flop) and said "Thought I might make a hand", I just smiled and still folded my hand, first time in my life I have ever intentionally folded a winner but felt obligated to do so. Am 99% sure that in this room if I had shown down I still would have been awarded the pot.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I am confused. Where does the poster think A high beats a K Q J 10 9 straight?

[/ QUOTE ]
Y'all always look too closely at the details of these things. Just go with the spirit of the story and you'll be happier.

foxw00ds player 11-01-2007 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PantsOnFire 11-01-2007 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Y'all always look too closely at the details of these things. Just go with the spirit of the story and you'll be happier.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you used "spirit" here in the right context and "y'all" isn't a word.

Rick Nebiolo 11-01-2007 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hawaiian Gardens has a big sign: "The 'you win' rule is no longer in effect." up on the wall. No one seems to have a clue what it means.

[/ QUOTE ]

cept me of course (see post above) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

One Outer 11-01-2007 07:10 PM

I don't think I have ever actually seen this enforced but I know it's technically on the books in my room.

Honestly, I don't show my hand unless I absolutely have to. I don't want to give away information if my opponent is going to muck his hand rather than show it.

Diana Ross Fan 11-01-2007 08:00 PM

I had this happen to me last month. I had been bluffing on all 3 streets. When my opponent called the river I said "You win" and tabled my Q high face up. He immediately claimed the pot and said that he did not have to show his hand. I did not believe him and invoked IWTSTH. So he is right?

psandman 11-01-2007 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had this happen to me last month. I had been bluffing on all 3 streets. When my opponent called the river I said "You win" and tabled my Q high face up. He immediately claimed the pot and said that he did not have to show his hand. I did not believe him and invoked IWTSTH. So he is right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe so. The point of the rule is to protect the player who mucks his hand based on your concession, not to allow a player who sees your hand and knows he has a loser to win the pot.

AngusThermopyle 11-01-2007 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. At that point you had tabled your hand and he still had possession of his. He has to show the best hand to claim the pot.