Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Colts raffling five Super Bowl rings (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535056)

blackize 10-31-2007 08:23 AM

Re: Colts raffling five Super Bowl rings

Can I buy a raffle ticket online?

Edit: Just checked the Colts website. Can't buy online but you can call ticketmaster and buy. The problem is you have to show up at some silly treasure hunt with a bunch of helpers and blah blah. It's definitely not a traditional raffle.

MikeyPatriot 10-31-2007 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"The great trouble with baseball today is that most of the players are in the game for the money and that's it, not for the love of it, the excitement of it, the thrill of it."

- Ty Cobb, 1925

[/ QUOTE ]

Baseball was purest in 1890.

Golden_Rhino 10-31-2007 10:47 AM

Impartial observer, but if the Patriots did this people would be losing their freaking minds right about now.

kyro 10-31-2007 10:48 AM

Bill Belicheck and the Pats would never cheapen the Super Bowl like the scumbag Colts are doing.

Just kidding.

I'm fine with this. One, it's for a great cause. Two, it helps strengthen the bond between fans and teams, which I am all for.

kyro 10-31-2007 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Impartial observer, but if the Patriots did this people would be losing their freaking minds right about now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably true, but the Pats wouldn't be sending the money to charity, they'd be using it to buy better spy equipment.

Los Feliz Slim 10-31-2007 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably true, but the Pats wouldn't be sending the money to charity, they'd be using it to buy better spy equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/satellite-radio.jpg

kyro 10-31-2007 11:05 AM

Bill Belicheck has been pre-emptively hiding his signals for years from the satellites...the hoodie.

Pudge714 10-31-2007 11:08 AM

+1 for I think this is really cool

Illini,
When Mickey Mantle would show up hungover before games did that illustrate disrepect for the game?

illini43 10-31-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
+1 for I think this is really cool

Illini,
When Mickey Mantle would show up hungover before games did that illustrate disrepect for the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Mantle held another job - say an electrician - would he have shown up for work hungover?

I like the Ty Cobb quote, that is pretty cool. As Dynasty said earlier, every generation thinks the next one has a lack of respect or does things for the wrong reasons (as illustrated by the quote). However, I still think there is a correlation between the salary differences and motivations to play baseball or any other sport. To add to this, I think this would be reflected more when even the "stars" of the game got paid close to the avg. salary as well. I don't have time to look it up, but I'm assuming Mantle was well paid for his day.

Basically, my theory is that today, since salaries in professional sports are so huge, even for minimum wages in the major leagues, there is more motivation to play for monetary gain than for "love of the game". This could also be applied to basically any profession too. There are plenty of doctors and lawyers who love what they do, but I think a lot of them become what they are because they chase dollar signs.

Franchise 60 10-31-2007 01:47 PM

I think its a great idea, and devalues the rings the players have zero percent.

If Mickey Mantle was an electrician I'm pretty sure he would show up hungover for that job to. He was an alcoholic.

Also, people questioning the value of winning to professional athletes are off base. If they didn't care why would a grown man cry when he received his ring. If I recall correctly Simmons wrote about this and Rodney Harrison doing this when the Pats held their ring ceremony after the 04 championship, which was months removed from the last game they had played.