Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Student loans for drinking money (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=530427)

En Passant 10-25-2007 11:50 AM

Re: Student loans for drinking money

5k for drinking, lolzzzzz

XXXNoahXXX 10-25-2007 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you not have a debit card? Just spend the money in your savings account. Why do you need 5k? Are you sure you aren't dealing drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean doing drugs?

Wyman 10-25-2007 01:22 PM

Or tell Dad you want to enjoy some money. If he says no, say that you'll get a loan that you'll pay back later when you get control of the money. He should see it makes more financial sense to just give you the dough up front.

NozeCandy 10-25-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you not have a debit card? Just spend the money in your savings account. Why do you need 5k? Are you sure you aren't dealing drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have 2 debit cards, one for my account at home, which has my primary savings, which is also at the bank where my Dad works, meaning he has access to what I am doing with that money. He wouldn't like me using it for this.

The other one is for my account at school which has significantly less in it.

[ QUOTE ]
5k for drinking, lolzzzzz

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm already putting up about two thousand per year drinking here. This could be used for other things too, like better accommodations on spring break, or renting out a bar for a party, or better nights out to dinner, etc. or...

[ QUOTE ]
you mean doing drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, no.

[ QUOTE ]

Or tell Dad you want to enjoy some money. If he says no, say that you'll get a loan that you'll pay back later when you get control of the money. He should see it makes more financial sense to just give you the dough up front.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not asking him for any money that he's basically put in a trust for me later on in life to drink now. It's more of a respect issue than a "make financial sense" issue; I don't mind paying back the loan after graduation since I can pay it back way ahead of schedule once I actually have a job. As far as I'm concerned, that money is technically still his until I have complete control over it -- it's just in my name. He earned it, not me.

maniacut 10-25-2007 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NozeCandy, this is your best strategy, imo.

NozeCandy 10-25-2007 04:16 PM

I'm considering it, but I think it would just cause him more stress/irritation than anything (and he is under a lot right now) and I wouldn't mind taking a minimal financial hit later to maintain good relations with my parents. Then there's the aforementioned respect issue, as I know he won't view this as a legit use of the money he's saved for me.

JackInDaCrak 10-25-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're in [censored] new orleans. get a job bartending. drink while you work. profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm serious about this. I graduated from Tulane in 2003. I worked about 25 hours a week bartending at various places over the 5 years I was there; I drank for free, I gave away free drinks, and I was never wont for spending cash.

Is getting a job not an option?

NozeCandy 10-25-2007 06:53 PM

It is, but various scheduling conflicts make it difficult right now. I'm taking a lot of credits and still have an internship, but it should be easier to hold one down if I want next semester. What bars did you work at?

Kimbell175113 10-25-2007 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that facebook lending thing legit?

If I loaned money, is that basically like a 12% ROI or interest (w/e its called). Thats like 7% better than my money market account.

[/ QUOTE ]
srsly

anyone know about this?

EJ, were you posting it as a joke or as a suggestion?

barncat 10-25-2007 08:16 PM

hitman?