Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Healthy Snacks (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=529901)

thirddan 10-24-2007 08:31 PM

Re: Healthy Snacks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
its basically empty carb calories...60 calories of nothing is not the same as 60 useful calories...this is why the 100cal sweet snack pack things are such crap...

[/ QUOTE ]
It is certainly much better than 200+ calories of complete junk though. It's not ideal but it's a step in the right direction for the snack food industry and people with horrible diets (myself).

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, 60cal of crap is less bad then 200cal of crap [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

cbloom 10-24-2007 08:44 PM

I used to be into the whole rice cake snack type of thing until I had like an epiphany. Just eat something useful for a snack. That means protein & vegetables or whatever. Hell, have half a sandwich. Yes, this might make your snack higher calorie. But that is not the problem with your diet. Probably you are eating too many empty calories at one of your meals. If you are just eating whole, useful, healthy foods, when you are hungry, you cannot get fat.

cbloom 10-24-2007 08:46 PM

In fact, I consider this whole idea of finding "healthy snacks" to be part of the whole "diet trick" mentality which is the whole wrong way to go about it. Successful long term dieting is not about tricks or low-calorie snacks to tide you over. You shouldn't really be going through semi-starvation hungry periods even when dieting. You should be eating good foods spread out throughout the day, and if you want to lose weight just make sure the total is a calorie negative.

Wynton 10-24-2007 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to be into the whole rice cake snack type of thing until I had like an epiphany. Just eat something useful for a snack. That means protein & vegetables or whatever. Hell, have half a sandwich. Yes, this might make your snack higher calorie. But that is not the problem with your diet. Probably you are eating too many empty calories at one of your meals. If you are just eating whole, useful, healthy foods, when you are hungry, you cannot get fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until two days ago when I got criticized here for it, I subsisted on rice cakes for my late night snack. I'm persuaded rice cakes are bad, but I'm not yet convinced it's ok to eat something more nutritious, if that means more calories.

I suppose the idea is that, with a proper number of meals throughout the day, I can actually reduce the total number of calories? That would be great if it actually works out that way.

And it makes kind of an intuitive sense. Certainly, my body seems naturally to want more food every 2-3 hours, regardless of whether I eat a huge amount or small amount.

ThaHero 10-25-2007 12:32 AM

I hate to keep coming back here asking about foods, but what about Clif Bars? I look on ingredients and keep seeing "organic" for stuff. A few "-ates" and some protein, carbs, and sugar. Are these just ok, great, or bad? Oh yeah and the juice was pretty much all fruit, and definately no Higl Fructose Corn Syrup, which is the killer. I looked for that specifically.

PLOlover 10-25-2007 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to keep coming back here asking about foods, but what about Clif Bars? I look on ingredients and keep seeing "organic" for stuff. A few "-ates" and some protein, carbs, and sugar. Are these just ok, great, or bad? Oh yeah and the juice was pretty much all fruit, and definately no Higl Fructose Corn Syrup, which is the killer. I looked for that specifically.

[/ QUOTE ]

recently the word "organic" was legally redefined to mean that it contains at least 10% or 5% or whatever organic ingredient. that's what I heard anyway, in any case the label "organic" has been incredibly watered down.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/sos.cfm

Jihad 10-25-2007 09:30 AM

Some snacks that were especially helpful to me losing 20 pounds earlier this year, and by augmenting portion sizes and protien level have continued to be beneficial in gaining size and strength:

Fat-free cottage cheese + any fruit (pear and apple my favorite)
Whole wheat pita, toasted + low-fat hummus and/or taboulli (sp?)
Sweet-potato
Low-fat beef jerky
Obv. protien shakes, vanilla is good enough to me to call it a snack
FRUIT, FRUIT, FRUIT, FRUIT!!!!!!!!

bwana devil 10-25-2007 09:39 AM

what are people's thoughts on:

canned veggies
canned tuna

also, please explain what goes into a a protein shake and/or postworkout shake. im a 'tard.

J.Brown 10-25-2007 10:31 AM

i have totally been digging on these lately.

http://www.protos-inc.com/

taste great, low cal (80), hi protein.

better than plain jerky all the time which gets boring.
try the pepper flavor.

who would have known i would like to eat ostrich???

later. J.

thirddan 10-25-2007 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what are people's thoughts on:

canned veggies
canned tuna

also, please explain what goes into a a protein shake and/or postworkout shake. im a 'tard.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would go with frozen veggies over canned
canned tuna/chicken is great
canned beans are great

i think people use protein shake as a placeholder for any shake that contains protein powder, no matter what else it contains...the only time i have a shake with just water and protein is workout time...all other times it has flax, olive oil, fruits, peanut butter or whatever...

post workout shake is usually protein or a mixture of protein/sugar...