Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Optimal number of friends (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=522752)

Keepitsimple 10-14-2007 04:02 PM

Re: Optimal number of friends

I feel bad when I dont call/contact my friends. I have too many.

kidcolin 10-14-2007 04:08 PM

I'm 25. I have 3 friends I'm tight with and keep in contact with regularly. Then there's another 3-4 that I'm not very tight with, but I make it a point to see them when I'm in town or email/call them once every couple of months. That's it.

CallMeIshmael 10-14-2007 04:47 PM

EV of friends(number of friends = X) = -1.96X^2+20.4X+44.3

Ill let you take it from there

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-14-2007 04:53 PM

Kimbell175113 10-14-2007 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EV of friends(number of friends = X) = 1.96X^2-20.4X+44.3

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't this upside-down?

CallMeIshmael 10-14-2007 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EV of friends(number of friends = X) = 1.96X^2-20.4X+44.3

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't this upside-down?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep... meant to have a (-) on the first term and a (+) on the second. ty

istewart 10-14-2007 05:20 PM

2+2 takes the place of half a friend for every thousand posts.

cwsiggy 10-14-2007 05:23 PM

I remember my middle school English teacher once told our class that people generally have 2-3 really close friend later in life - I thought she was insane but turns out, she's pretty close to being correct.

miajag 10-14-2007 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2+2 takes the place of half a friend for every thousand posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this include posts across all a user's accounts, or just their primary one?

peachy 10-14-2007 05:34 PM

wow, some of the 1st few posts here are kinda shocking to me. Of course I have 3 to 5 very very close friends, and 1 BEST friend aside from my boyfriend, but then tons of "regular" friends. I dont see anything wrong with this, its not a need to be popular nor a need for validation. I know who I am as a person and with the way I am i interact with a lot of people, and choose to keep in touch with the majority fo them. Ive been out of high school almost 10 years and still talk to or see over about 200 people at least once a year that I went to HS with, and there is a good 30 of them I see almost monthly and talk to even more, and thats "just" HS. There has obviously been a lot of time since then so I have made a large number of "friends" since then, that I still interact with frequently. My reasons for having a large number of friends is not for what most of you here would attack it for, since it seems many of you dont possesses a lot of friends. I enjoy having them because I do a wide variety of activities and travel, and there are certain groups that like to do certain things or that i met through doing certain things (wakeboarding, horse back riding, hiking, snowboarding, vacationing, etc.) I have even kept in touch with people I met in Central America that were from Australia and England and have met up with them in Europe since. Also a girl I met in South Africa that was from California has asked me to join her on a trip to Rio soon. I maintain friendships because I enjoy the people and doing certain things with them, not because it makes me feel a certain way about myself. I know who I am and none of these people change that in me, and most people I meet adore me for the person I am (this is not being conceited, Im being serious, and go ahead and attack it, if you knew me you would understand what I meant and I dont have time to defend it nor explain it right now). Having a lot of friends doesnt make you fake, and it doesnt make the "few" closer to you any less geniuine, but I see no problem with have a large number of friends - on the contrary I think its healthy and very well rounded. I think having a small number of human interactions limits you as a person and smoothers your own personal growth and self awareness. I have learned a lot from the number of friends Ive had or still have over the years, about myself and about life. Having the friends I do make me a better person and also stimulate my hyper personality haha I would be an extremely bored person if things were any other way (which is prevalent from how my life is currently because of my situation).

Let the attack peach comments commence....