Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   religion and poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=517928)

SNOWBALL 10-08-2007 05:11 PM

Re: religion and poker

I thought it was pretty clear that I wanted various theists to give their own personal testimonies on their experience as poker players. There are plenty of threads where we can bicker and go off on tangents. Why choose this one? I was also hoping that some kind of discussion on the influence religion can have on your psychology, and thus your poker results could also take place.

-Specifically, I am interested in the idea that perhaps religious people have a stronger capability to believe that "everything will turn out in the long run if I do the right thing" and therefore be able to handle swings better than the average player. Of course, someone with a strong background in statistics might do best of all, but your average 2p2er isn't in that category

-When a player believes that god influences poker results, is he more likely to willingly make mistakes and hope that he gets lucky in a big pot, despite the fact that he knows how to play well?

Lestat 10-08-2007 05:21 PM

You're going to run into two problems. The first, as you already guessed, is that the majority of posters here are atheists. Of course, an atheist is going to dismiss any phsycial reason that a belief in God can provide better results.

There may be something to be said from a psychological standpoint, but I'd still say your answer is no. Those who believe in some outside guiding force, are less likely to be thinking rationally during times of both good fortune and adversity. In other words, they are more apt to deviate from ideal strategy and the necessary mindset needed to play optimum poker at "all" times.

Lastly, you don't need to be a statistician to know that if you continually get your money in with the best of it, that things will work out over the long run.

bunny 10-08-2007 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was pretty clear that I wanted various theists to give their own personal testimonies on their experience as poker players. There are plenty of threads where we can bicker and go off on tangents. Why choose this one? I was also hoping that some kind of discussion on the influence religion can have on your psychology, and thus your poker results could also take place.

-Specifically, I am interested in the idea that perhaps religious people have a stronger capability to believe that "everything will turn out in the long run if I do the right thing" and therefore be able to handle swings better than the average player. Of course, someone with a strong background in statistics might do best of all, but your average 2p2er isn't in that category

-When a player believes that god influences poker results, is he more likely to willingly make mistakes and hope that he gets lucky in a big pot, despite the fact that he knows how to play well?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it hinges on if you believe in intercessionary prayer. If you think that prayer can have an effect on the outcome of a hand then you are likely to be led astray by your theism imo - since it wont really have any effect and you'll be betting against the odds.

As I mentioned in my first reply - I think the "lord give me strength to smile as these idiots take my money" is a useful side effect of theism (at least as I practise it).

slimjim646 10-09-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you believe that your relationship with god improves your poker results, either through good luck or through giving you better peace of mind and allowing you to make better decisions? If so, do you believe that theists have an edge over atheists in gambling situations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as I was raised a Catholic, gambling would be violating the laws of God and committing sin. The sheer guilt of weaving off Gods path, and spiraling in to the sins of man should eventually damn the soul of believers. No matter how a true believer should look at it, money verus the damnation of the eternal soul would be -EV. The only way I could grant a believer any possible faith based edge would be in a play money game. Even then, the catholic is taught that spending too much time being idle is also a sin.