Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   LC: How do you get VP$IP and PFR close? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=516284)

WantToLearn 10-05-2007 05:04 PM

Re: LC: How do you get VP$IP and PFR close?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you have 22-88 OTB and there was an EP raise and a few cold callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you play <100nl? Cuz this doesn't really happen that often at 200nl+.

To answer your Q basically just never open limp and cold call/overlimp rarely.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds like limit advice to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so too. Itīs a Limit Holdem thing.

MadMike 10-05-2007 07:17 PM

It's possible to be playing nearly optimally and have a 15/9 VP$IP/PFR, depending on the tables you play at. This is at NL5 to 25, and maybe even 50 sometimes.

However, it is very,very unlikely for a 15/9 preflop strategy to be optimal at NL200- actually unlikely to be a winning strategy much less optimal...

The small PP in position is a great example of why this is so. If there is a raise from EP with 2-3 callers, then it is definately profitable to call with 22-88 from the button. This situation will occur at NL5-25 and sometimes 50 WAY more often than at NL200.

The reason why you see NL200+ balla players with 19/17 stats is because the table dynamics are WAY different than at a NL25 table.

I guess what I'm trying to say is not to worry about the VP$IP/PFR gap too much unless your raising less than half the hands you're playing preflop if you're at NL50 or below. Play the table, not to a preset pokertracker ideal.

Chargers In 07 10-05-2007 07:26 PM

Great post Mike, I wholeheartedly agree. I wanted to post something similar but it was something I was having trouble putting into words so I decided not to post.

[ QUOTE ]
Play the table, not to a preset pokertracker ideal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr_Donktastic 10-05-2007 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you play <100nl? Cuz this doesn't really happen that often at 200nl+.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats cuz I have no idea how to play NL hold em.

Mr_Donktastic 10-05-2007 07:31 PM

also i wasn't saying you HAVE TO never open limp and cold call/overlimp rarely, I was answering the Q of how to get your pfr close to your vpip.

BUT i do think that it is best to pla ythat way at limits >=200nl

Mr_Donktastic 10-05-2007 07:31 PM

also also

this thread sucks

HU4ROLLZ

bottomset 10-05-2007 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats cuz I have no idea how to play NL hold em.

[/ QUOTE ]

time to defend donk, with more advocation of limited/no openlimping, and rare coldcalling

I do overlimp a modest amount

jcg2005 10-05-2007 10:24 PM

I play on the nittier side (14/8) and i have been trying to overlimp more to increase my VPIP. It may be mental but i seem to get so much more action when i play like 17/8. The problem for me is that i find it too hard to play 12 tbls of that style and i am so ADD once i start a session i just add more tables until stars gives me the stupid pop up limiting me.

Edited to add that the money u invest in these speculative hands will/should be made up for in ur made hands/monsters. Its not like u need to show a direct profit with 78cc to make it a weapon in your arsenal. I think that was one of the best posts i ever read on 2p2 where i learned and actually applied that concept. Sry if this is hard to read, hope it helps.

Mr_Donktastic 10-06-2007 03:04 AM

Just to note I played ~20/10 at levels <100nl while I was roll-building. It worked at those levels...just understand that it is kinda "wrong" and you will have to change your game if you move up.

inverted 10-06-2007 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got my %'s closer by doing 2 things

1) I don't open-limp anymore. IMO, it screams, I have a low pair! By raising with these, I've been able to get paid off more with my high pairs, and mislead villain into thinking I hit TPTK on the A-T-6 board and he's gonna bust me with 2pair, when in reality, I'm holding 66.

2) I won't coldcall a raise unless

a) There is more than 1 caller already and I have a drawing hand/small PP.

b)I have position, we're both deepstacked, AND I know he'll stack off with an overpair. Depending on villain, I might do this with ATC, but usually I want some kind of drawing hand.

After making these changes, my stats went from 13/8 to 12/10 and opponents' play against me has been easier to deal with (assuming I don't donk things up lol)

[/ QUOTE ]

Really nice reply, quoting it so that everyone else can read the goodness!