Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What members of the mainstream sports media don't suck? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=514983)

Butcho22 10-03-2007 06:41 PM

Re: What members of the mainstream sports media don\'t suck?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really like Chris Berman

Not sure if I'm alone here, but I still love The Blitz on ESPN with him and Tom Jackson recapping

[/ QUOTE ]

NFL Primetime >>> The Blitz

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN now forcing us to watch an extra long Sportscenter with 'The Blitz' mixed in is just another reason to hate them.

kidcolin 10-03-2007 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff Van Gundy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he was OK, but people were way too high on him. His shtick god old fast. And it got down right uncomfortable at times between him and Mark Jackson.

The NBA in general has mostly competent dudes. Hubie's the man, Doug Collins is solid enough, Marv is the best, the TNT studio crew is awesome, I like a decent amount of the ESPN NBA writers (Hollinger, Stein, Sheridan).. not to mention the greatest booth ever assembled, Tommy Heinsohn and Mike Gorman (I know non-Cs fans hate Tommy, but Gorman is seriously awesome).

Dids 10-03-2007 06:43 PM

May and Holtz are actually entertaining, but they totally suck.

Bob Costas is a boring as [censored] overly romantic moralistic [censored]. He's like Joe Buck but with more personality (his radio show is fantastic though).

I forgot about Gus Johnson, Collingsworth, Verne Lundquist and JVG, who rule.

I don't know enough about golf to judge, but I I can't think of anybody I dislike.

Losing all 10-03-2007 06:54 PM

Al Michaels. Great at football, better at baseball.

Tirico is solid. Collingworth is so annoting, yet good. I still like Costas.

DrewDevil 10-03-2007 06:57 PM

Johnny Miller is great as a golf analyst and I predict Nick Faldo will be awesome before long.

MacGuyV 10-03-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally like anyone on the NFL Network(well, not really Deion but at least he knows what he is talking about when he talks about football). I think they did a very good job on getting analysts and they get the best people to interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree for the most part, but Rod Woodson sucks IMO.

MicroBob 10-03-2007 07:13 PM

Somebody mentioned Mary Carillo and I think that's a very good call.
She's really underrated and is really really freaking good at what she does.

Among other female commentators out there I think Michelle Tafoya and Doris Burke do an exceptionally good job.

Of the bigger-time play-by-play guys I still like guys like Brad Nessler and Brent Musberger. Just enjoyable to listen to for the most part.
Dan Schulman too.

Marv Albert is still terrific. Not sure if he's doing NFL games on national syndicated radio anymore but I've heard him on SNF or MNF before while driving and I absolutely love how he calls a football game. And obviously he's pretty darned good at basketball.

Definitely like Herbstreit on college-football analysis.
Hubie Brown on NBA too of course.

Watching the baseball playoffs on TBS right now and listening to Steve Stone again is nice. Always liked his approach and analysis.

Among local baseball broadcasters you still have guys like Marty Brennaman CIN, Harry Kalas PHI, Lanny Frattere PIT and Bob Uecker MIL who are extremely enjoyable to listen to. Their voice and style just SOUNDS like their team and their city.
Vin Scully isn't quite as sharp as he once was but he is still the best imo.

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Wondercall 10-03-2007 07:19 PM

I like listening to anyone on CBS for golf.

Boris 10-03-2007 07:23 PM

JT the Brick

Tom Tolbert

Neuge 10-03-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Marty Brennaman CIN

[/ QUOTE ]
Yuck, yuck, yuck.

He and Thom carry way too much weight in Cincy and they're complete morons. They may be good play-by-play announcers, but they know little about what it actually takes to win in baseball. Thom seriously opined they should bench Dunn for Cantu (seriously) "because at least he wouldn't strikeout as much." (seriously)