Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   The bible (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=511494)

chezlaw 09-28-2007 09:02 PM

Re: The bible

[ QUOTE ]
Should it not be perfect if it was the words of god?

[/ QUOTE ]
mr moore I don't think you're taking this seriously. here's what you do.

Assume its true and therefore perfect.

Reject anything that would mean its unperfect - all those things must be wrong because it is perfect.

Reject any interpretations that would make it inconsistant - all those must be incorrect because it is perfect.

Reject any groups of more intelligent people who thinks the evidence points to it being wrong - all these people must be wrong because its true. Must be a conspiracy, obviously being intelligent they can't really believe something true is most likely false.

rinse and repeat, you'll get there.

chez

Mr_Moore 09-28-2007 09:18 PM

There are a great number of fallacies in the bible. How shall that be interpreted? Is that of little or great importance?

chezlaw 09-28-2007 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a great number of fallacies in the bible. How shall that be interpreted? Is that of little or great importance?

[/ QUOTE ]
Reject any fallacies - there cannot be any because it is perfect. Therefore anything that appears fallacious must be a misunderstanding.

chez

Mr_Moore 09-28-2007 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Reject any fallacies - there cannot be any because it is perfect. Therefore anything that appears fallacious must be a misunderstanding.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Chez, though i find your posts amusing i am afraid that i won't get any discussion at all if you follow up every post of mine with a sarcastic comment.

chezlaw 09-28-2007 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Chez, though i find your posts amusing i am afraid that i won't get any discussion at all if you follow up every post of mine with a sarcastic comment.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is how it works. You don't rationally come to believe, you rationalise the belief after you've come to it.

Its all very straightforward.

chez

Mr_Moore 09-28-2007 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is how it works. You don't rationally come to believe, you rationalise the belief after you've come to it.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure it is, though, i am still interested to speak with people who believe in the bible and in god.

chezlaw 09-28-2007 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure it is, though, i am still interested to speak with people who believe in the bible and in god.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fine, i'm just trying to explain to you that starting from the claim that there are fallacies, errors etc and expecting answers as to how they still believe is getting it the wrong way round as NotReady and co don't accept the possibility that these exist in the first place - they know they can explain away anything.

chez

Mr_Moore 09-28-2007 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Fine, i'm just trying to explain to you that starting from the claim that there are fallacies, errors etc and expecting answers as to how they still believe is getting it the wrong way round as NotReady and co don't accept the possibility that these exist in the first place - they know they can explain away anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Really?

NotReady, regarding the errors in the bible, what do you think of them?

Also, Chez, you seem to have more experience in these matters, where do you suggest i start?

chezlaw 09-28-2007 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Chez, you seem to have more experience in these matters, where do you suggest i start?

[/ QUOTE ]
That kinda depends where you want to end up and how important rational belief is to you.

chez

Hopey 09-28-2007 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It may seem like he's being sarcastic, but his assessment is spot on.