Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   I still don't get these low only hands (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=509381)

TheCount212 10-02-2007 11:30 AM

Re: I still don\'t get these low only hands

Buzz, I'm finding it hard to believe that a man of your vast poker knowledge has never heard of "the rule of 4 and 2"????

Buzz 10-02-2007 11:57 AM

Hi Count - I have the feeling that you're pulling my leg, but I'll bite.

What is the rule of 4 and 2?

Buzz

TheCount212 10-02-2007 12:00 PM

OMG...

RobNottsUk 10-02-2007 12:31 PM

It's a Texas Hold'em rule of thumb, why should it be relevant here?

Buzz is hard core Omaholic!

Then you've got split pots to consider, so go figure...

TheCount212 10-02-2007 12:33 PM

Um, it's a POKER rule of thumb... the kind of poker played with a five-card community board. But you go right ahead and ignore it. Please.

RobNottsUk 10-02-2007 12:37 PM

Texas Hold'em ain't Poker!

Just add up all the seen cards on the flop, and relate outs to % figures and you'll realise the MisCount.

Then also in a game where the 'Turn' is so fickle, why would you be interested in '4' at all, you gonna draw multi-way on a str8 or flush with a paired board?

TheCount212 10-02-2007 01:42 PM

Obviously a paired board makes a straight or flush draw highly unprofitable, so the outs wouldn't count.
Like I said, don't use the rule. I did, and came up with the same number as Buzz in much less time.

RobNottsUk 10-03-2007 05:33 AM

That rule is not accurate for Omaha, even if you can't figure out any of your opponents cards; when you can it's significantly worse.

RobNottsUk 10-03-2007 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any 6, 7, or 8 with two cards to come wins us nut low. That's 12 outs x 4 = 48% chance of hitting. No brainer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's not worry about a 'bust' cards (turn or river) card then.
Let's not consider the chances of our Nut Lo being duplicated, causing us to be quartered.

We'll just say 48% and fire away!

Note, I'm not disagreeing with playing decision, just the assumption that the rule of thumb is of any value, for a good player.

TheCount212 10-03-2007 11:35 AM

Actually there are 4 cards that still make our nut low (4s) and 3 that ruin it (3s). A conservative estimate is that they cancel each other out.. thus leaving 12 outs to hitting our nut low. So the estimate is perfectly valid.

Hold 'em and Omaha are both games where the number of unseen cards and the number of seen cards are exactly the same. So the Rule of 4 and 2 applies to both. Your saying it doesn't makes no sense, and a "good" player could see that immediately.
Any evidence to refute this, besides you just saying that it doesn't apply?