Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   culinary staples (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=506637)

KJS 09-25-2007 02:33 AM

Re: culinary staples

Another ridiculously easy and delicious fish preparation is en papillote, which is a method of cooking with liquid in a pouch. I use parchment paper. You just pick a fillet, add some veggies and herbs of you liking and some marinate, wine, etc.. Throw it all in a piece of parchment paper, fold or staple the ends and throw it in the oven.

Here is one recipe as an example.

KJS

El Diablo 09-25-2007 02:59 PM

kk,

Here is a SUPER easy dish. Just some prep time for making a marinade. Tastes incredible. This is dinner party sized, adjust accordingly.

--
http://wendy.seltzer.org/food/chicken.html

From the Silver Palate Cookbook

* 4 chickens, 2 1/2 lb. each, quartered
* 1 head of garlic, pureed
* 1/4 c dried oregano
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1/2 c red wine vinegar
* 1/2 c olive oil
* 1 c pitted prunes
* 1/2 c Spanish green olives
* 1/2 c capers with a bit of juice
* 6 bay leaves
* 1 c brown sugar
* 1 c white wine
* 1/4 c chopped parsley

Combine all ingredients except brown sugar and white wine, and marinate overnight.

Arrange chicken in pan, spoon marinade over, and sprinkle with brown sugar and wine.

Bake 50-60 min at 350 degrees, basting often.

Eat! (Serves 10+, or the leftovers make great chicken salad and sandwiches.)
--

Do this recipe, then toss some potatoes/onions/carrots in the oven to roast and you've got a great meal.

Verbloten 09-26-2007 02:25 AM

I would always say Spaghetti Bolognaise but I can't divulge that recipe [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My wife and I like the following dish which is super easy to make and tastes AWSOME.

500g Chicken breast fillets - cut 1 breast into about 4 slithers, then cut through middle (so not so thick).. this isn't important really...

Put the chicken in a Honey+Soy marinade for a while (the longer the better but we normally marinade it and then cook straight away!)

Get a family size packet of Maccaroni cheese and follow the instructions to cook it up.

Cook the chicken at the same time in a frying pan with very little oil. Don't cook it too fast.

Get some nice fresh Broccoli and put it in a bowl with wrap over the top. Place in microwave for 3-4 minutes.

When all three items are done. Serve her up. And ENJOY.

And btw - this might sound like a strange meal - that's exactly what i thought when i first had it - but ever since that day we have it almost once a week on average.

KotOD 09-26-2007 12:59 PM

Chicken and dumplings:

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
2 tablespoons butter
2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 onion, finely diced
2 large carrots chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces

Place the chicken, butter, soup, carrots, celery and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover. Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High.

About 30 minutes before serving, open the biscuits and tear them apart. Place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

Makes six huge servings

solids 09-26-2007 04:06 PM

El D and others,

Chicken Marsella is amazing and unlike any other chicken I've had before. Just a suggestion: I recently substituted chicken breasts (instead of a whole chicken), marinated overnight, and thought it actually tasted better.

Just a thought.

canis582 09-27-2007 05:55 PM

Slice pork loin or pork tender loin into 3/4 to one inch thick slices and marinate in Woodchuck cider.

Cook Apples, Woodchuck, brown sugar, and a small amount of cinamon and nutmeg and let it reduce and get suyrupy. Then grill and briefly bake slices. Add the juices that the slices release while they rest to the sauce and serve with chive roasted reds and a squash and zuccini blend.