Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   billick calls out mangini's jets for cheating (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=503740)

TheNoodleMan 09-18-2007 12:46 PM

Re: billick calls out mangini\'s jets for cheating

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is a complete non story. Shocking that the OP came from a pats fan, its like some of you guys will point to anything to obscure your teams transgressions.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're [censored] stupid if you think i'm using this to justify what the pats did, since i have repeatedly said i have no problem with the penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you use the term "cheating" if Billick had said the Jets were getting away with holding? Because they are both 5 yard penalties.

Jack of Arcades 09-18-2007 12:47 PM

I think these mindgames are interesting

Triumph36 09-18-2007 12:48 PM

nt, you are just wrong here, i'm sorry

mangini was the youngest coach in the league and went to the playoffs with a team people thought would win maybe 7 games. they're still not that good a team so a 7-9 season is pretty likely. there won't be any grumbling about him unless he bungles this qb situation.

mangini seems like the kind of guy who will be a lifetime coach.

mosdef 09-18-2007 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Billick accused them of illegally simulating snap counts to draw the offense offsides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone help out a casual football fan here? What does simulating a snap count mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its defensive players yelling "hut" or something like it in an attempt to make offensive players think the QB is yelling it, which would then lead them to false start.

[/ QUOTE ]

These seems bush league, but I'm surprised there's a rule against it. Why can't the offense be responsible for looking to see if the ball is actually snapped instead of jumping at the first "hut" they hear? I'm sure that a few judisciously applied cut blocks on defenders that try this stuff might work.

bnrocks 09-18-2007 12:53 PM

Something as simple as holding is cheating. I could make an argument that the only difference between the videotaping and holding is the punishment.

TheNoodleMan 09-18-2007 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Billick accused them of illegally simulating snap counts to draw the offense offsides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone help out a casual football fan here? What does simulating a snap count mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its defensive players yelling "hut" or something like it in an attempt to make offensive players think the QB is yelling it, which would then lead them to false start.

[/ QUOTE ]

These seems bush league, but I'm surprised there's a rule against it. Why can't the offense be responsible for looking to see if the ball is actually snapped instead of jumping at the first "hut" they hear? I'm sure that a few judisciously applied cut blocks on defenders that try this stuff might work.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't baseball. If football players are left to sort out their own unwritten rules there will be no one left to play after ever everyone is out for the season with knee injuries.

Boris 09-18-2007 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the NFL coaching fraternity is thrilled with him [Mangini]...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ridiculous. Are you saying that old white men adhere to the "don't be snitchin" code? I'll bet most NFL management is happy that Mangini snitched, or at the very least they understand why he did it.

kidcolin 09-18-2007 12:57 PM

according to Easterbrook's TMQ today, the whole NFL is going to [censored], and it's all Bill's fault. So this whole discussion is moot, anyway.

Oh yeah, and this is a non-story, and doesn't reflect poorly on Mangini at all. It's the refs responsibility to call it. It's not scandalous or anything.

Toro 09-18-2007 12:59 PM

Wow. A lot of people are completely missing the point here which is that another head coach called out Mangini for something that it is very rountine and wouldn't normally be made an issue. The possible reason to do this? To send a message to Mangini that he was out of line for ratting out the Patriots.

Suigin406 09-18-2007 01:01 PM

this is just a penalty, get on the refs about it, not the coach