Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   general knowledge everyone knows (but you!) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=501711)

wdcbooks 09-15-2007 05:43 PM

Re: general knowledge everyone knows (but you!)

I can't resize a picture. This makes avatar creation difficult, I am otherwise reasonably computer literate.

I struggle with parts of speech. I was recently asked to name some prepositions. That didn't go well. Funny thing is I read more than anyone I know.

I don't know how to do some basic math problems. This is a problem in poker because I don't know how to figure out things like:

There are four balls in a basket, one red and three black. You pull a ball and then replace it. Repeat three times, what are your chances of never picking the red ball?

Blarg 09-15-2007 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i can't do anything involving fractions.. i passed an ap calc exam in high school but if u ask me to divide 2 fractions my brain will explode.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm like this with geometry. I can do fine with algebra, but geometry basically blows my mind.

jafeather 09-15-2007 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't know the difference between a burrito and a soft taco (i.e. with a flour tortilla).

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, this made me laugh. To this day I'm still not sure what a tostada is. Is it a flat hard shell with stuff piled on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to 5:25

samsdmf 09-15-2007 06:37 PM

My international geography is pretty good but my UK is really bad. Until not too long ago I thought that Birmingham was north of Manchester, I still wouldnt be able to show you where most places are on a map

diebitter 09-15-2007 06:45 PM

Up until my 30s I thought Bough (in a tree) was pronounced like cough instead of cow. I was talking with some clever intellectual guy about shamanism and early religion, and started going on about "The Golden Bough" (a sort of classic of its time on ancient magic etc) and calling it 'The Golden Boff'. He was kind enough to put me straight discreetly.

Kimbell175113 09-15-2007 07:23 PM

lol, I encountered that last week in a class where we were reading Ezra Pound. "Petals on a wet, black bough" got pronounced three different ways, I think. Nobody noticed that it kinda rhymes with the previous line's "crowd" or that it's the word from "Deck the Halls."

Blarg 09-15-2007 07:45 PM

I've never used this word aloud or heard it used even once outside that song, and I guess it just left my head. Though I have read excerpts of the book. Until right now, although only pronouncing it mentally, I have always pictured pronouncing it like you would pronounce something that shoots arrows.

diebitter 09-15-2007 07:51 PM

There's also...

"Rock a bye baby on the treetop,
When the wind blows the cradle will rock,
When the bough breaks the cradle will fall,
And down will come baby, cradle and all. "

There's no way I shouldn't have realised how to say bough properly.

Mr_Moore 09-15-2007 08:02 PM

When i was like 10, i think, i was somehow asked by my friends to answer what color a girls period had. I had no idea what it was even so my first guess since it sounded icky was green.
Thankfully a friend of mine not many weeks later when asked where children came from answered the ass because he had seen a naughty picture where a lady had shoved the bigger end of a champagne bottle in her ass. This gross error naturally switched the focus from my mistake to his which was a relief.

kerowo 09-15-2007 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i can't do anything involving fractions.. i passed an ap calc exam in high school but if u ask me to divide 2 fractions my brain will explode.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm like this with geometry. I can do fine with algebra, but geometry basically blows my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately you probably aren't required to prove two lines are parallel or bisect an arc in your day to day...