Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ask me about Finnish military (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=491164)

testaaja 09-01-2007 08:35 AM

Re: Ask me about Finnish military

[ QUOTE ]
this applies more to Finland in General:
Did the Finnish catch alot of crap during the times of those Danish mohammed cartoons?

[/ QUOTE ]
We got nothing. I still don't know wtf was that about.
[ QUOTE ]
Does Finland have many immigrants?

[/ QUOTE ]
Too many.. We have nothing compared to Sweden thank god. Yes I'm evil [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

testaaja 09-01-2007 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I served 12months and got out about 2 months ago. While servig it felt like [censored], but now I think it was good times. New friends, new experiences and stuff. Feel free to ask me anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've gotten really good friends already. Well, it's [censored] anyways but when you're camping with good people it gets better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anacardo 09-01-2007 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For those of you taking the piss out of the Finnish military, they fought on the German side in WWII against Russia. In 1944 Russia invaded Finland. This was when the Russian military machine was awesome. The Finns fought them off and won their independence. Pretty impressive stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
We beat Britain when we were just a bunch of farmers and injuns and Britain was all that and a bag of chips. boo-yah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Outstanding use of 'boo-yah' imo.

libertos 09-01-2007 09:54 AM

How much for a coffee and a jelly donut these days?

testaaja 09-01-2007 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much for a coffee and a jelly donut these days?

[/ QUOTE ]
1.2 euros [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] that's the special donut with pink topping

XXXNoahXXX 09-01-2007 10:18 AM

FYI- The Finnish gave Molotov cocktails their name. Pretty badass when tanks are advancing and you start mass producing molotov cocktails.

Also, wood-fire/hot stone saunas ftw.

Pretty much all I got in terms of celebrating my Finnish heritage.

KDuff 09-01-2007 10:23 AM

off topic, but is Tero going to shape up tomorrow and win it for Suomi?

iron81 09-01-2007 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FYI- The Finnish gave Molotov cocktails their name. Pretty badass when tanks are advancing and you start mass producing molotov cocktails.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was extremely dangerous. They couldn't just throw the cocktails, because its a tank. They had to climb on top of the tank (tanks have machine guns) and drop the bomb down the exhaust pipe.

Quicksilvre 09-01-2007 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For those of you taking the piss out of the Finnish military, they fought on the German side in WWII against Russia. In 1944 Russia invaded Finland. This was when the Russian military machine was awesome. The Finns fought them off and won their independence. Pretty impressive stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Finland became independent after WWI. However, it did get invaded by the USSR in the winter of 1939-40 and fought them back without any real outside assistance, so it's still pretty baller.

adsman 09-01-2007 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Finland became independent after WWI. However, it did get invaded by the USSR in the winter of 1939-40 and fought them back without any real outside assistance, so it's still pretty baller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. The Finnish Continuation War lasted from 1941-1944 and they roundly defeated the Soviets in the last major battle which led to a peace treaty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tali-Ihantala

They then had to fight another war to kick the Germans out, which they did. Baller.