Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   le greatest foreign language films (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=482992)

diebitter 08-21-2007 04:38 PM

Re: le greatest foreign language films

The more I look at this list, the more impressed I am. I seriously thought I was the only person in the world that's actually sat through 'The Gospel According to St Matthew' - the best movie about Jesus ever.

Blarg 08-21-2007 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes,

please tell them to take Run Lola Run out, and put Betty Blue in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. Although, I'd rather they take Suspiria out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of these frankly sound like crap. I was less than impressed by Run Lola Run and think Suspiria even getting mentioned is a joke. Haven't seen Amelie, but that hideous grin of the star is enough to give me a spastic colon, so I'll put it off until I'm sitting in the hot tub of somebody I don't really like.

pryor15 08-21-2007 04:42 PM

db,

yeah, it's quite a list, but not all that surprising when you consider that caliber of people making the nominations.

when this started, i was thinking, "ok, i'll watch most of the ones that i haven't seen yet", but there's a lot more than i expected

Blarg 08-21-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The more I look at this list, the more impressed I am. I seriously thought I was the only person in the world that's actually sat through 'The Gospel According to St Matthew' - the best movie about Jesus ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a thing for these Jesus movies.

How did you like the ones acted out by vegetables?

nick604 08-21-2007 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

You saying that reminds me of the DVD sleeve for Ken Russell's truly awful 'Mahler'. The quote 'selling' the movie was from Russell himself and went along the lines of "This is the greatest film I have ever made about another artist". Scraping the barrel or what?

nick604 08-21-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of these frankly sound like crap. I was less than impressed by Run Lola Run and think Suspiria even getting mentioned is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, and I'm an Argento acolyte. If any of his films belong on here, it's Profondo Rosso. But please God, not Suspiria.

I suppose a couple of the panel thought an Argento should be on the list so plumped for the most obvious one.

pryor15 08-21-2007 04:56 PM

probably, but you'll have that no matter what

Peter666 08-21-2007 04:57 PM

No Eisenstein, no Vigo, no Bresson, no Rossellini, no Visconti, no Bunuel, no Dreyer....I say NO to your list.

The Kieslowski films are good, but terribly overrated if you consider them the best foreign films ever made. You can't put any Polish director in a list without including Wajda.

Blarg 08-21-2007 04:59 PM

Good catch, not having Eisenstein is ridiculous.

pryor15 08-21-2007 04:59 PM

peter,

keep reading

also, silents weren't eligible