Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Ron Paul Wins Alabama/New Hampshire Straw Polls by Landslide (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=481503)

PokrLikeItsProse 08-20-2007 08:04 AM

Re: Ron Paul Wins Alabama/New Hampshire Straw Polls by Landslide

[ QUOTE ]

Keyes (only one of two) attended the event while Paul didn't but garnered 50 or so more percent but no matter what happens some of the Dr. Paul haters will dismiss it.
Paul's support is smaller but much more fervent than the current 'front runners'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing the math, it looks like George W. Bush finished third in 1999 without showing up while having more votes cast for him than total votes cast for any candidate in 2007. Now is just not a good time to be a Republican.

elwoodblues 08-20-2007 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no matter what happens some of the Dr. Paul haters will dismiss it

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on, who are the "Paul Haters"? I, for one, don't hate Paul, I just think he is largely irrelevant to the big picture in this race(much like Dennis Kucinich.) If I were a Paul supporter, I would be happy with these numbers. But, I would also know that these numbers mean VERY little. Maybe they are a sign of Paul being a sleeper contender in the votes that really matter. Otherwise, they are just one positive thing to say about a candidate who is polling very low right now.

elwoodblues 08-20-2007 09:10 AM

One other thing. I think these straw polls are more negative if you show poorly than they are positive if you show well.

PokrLikeItsProse 08-20-2007 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh come on, who are the "Paul Haters"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a liberal Democrat who hates Ron Paul. (Then again, I also hate Dennis Kucinich.)

AWoodside 08-20-2007 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Oh come on, who are the "Paul Haters"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a liberal Democrat who hates Ron Paul. (Then again, I also hate Dennis Kucinich.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm shocked that anyone hates Ron Paul, I suppose it stems from a lack of belief in freedom itself, because it's got to be hard to hate the man right? He's the only politician I've ever heard of that doesn't result to slime-ball pandering, says clearly what he believes and behaves in a way consistent with his stated beliefs. Even if you disagree with him philosophically, can you really hate a man like that? He's a true statesman in the best sense of the word, arguing with that will be an uphill battle. I suppose if his principles were vile enough you could still hate him... but is it really that vile to be pro individual liberty and responsibility?

</head asplode>

MrMon 08-20-2007 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...but is it really that vile to be pro individual liberty and responsibility?

[/ QUOTE ]

Except he's not. He flunks the test on this majorly by being "pro-life" and not having a problem with states outlawing abortion, as long as they do it on the state level. That's about as anti-libertarian as it comes. If you really look at him closely, he's an anti-federalist, not a libertarian. A libertarian should be opposed to excess government at all levels, not just the federal one.

I don't hate him, mostly, I don't think about him. He's a non-factor, except on this forum.

BCPVP 08-20-2007 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He flunks the test on this majorly by being "pro-life" and not having a problem with states outlawing abortion, as long as they do it on the state level. That's about as anti-libertarian as it comes.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would be anti-libertarian to not hold his position. DUCY?

tolbiny 08-20-2007 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Doing the math, it looks like George W. Bush finished third in 1999 without showing up while having more votes cast for him than total votes cast for any candidate in 2007. Now is just not a good time to be a Republican.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet that makes it a perfect (by perfect i mean best you could ask for) opportunity for a "3rd" tier candidate no one has heard of going in with a small semi fanatical base. Paul's problem, like all politicians, is gaining face time and name recognition.

kidpokeher 08-20-2007 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He flunks the test on this majorly by being "pro-life" and not having a problem with states outlawing abortion, as long as they do it on the state level. That's about as anti-libertarian as it comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ICY, although I understand to some extent what Mr. Mon is getting at as well. Care to elaborate where the past libertarian candidates have stood?

MrMon 08-20-2007 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you mean by "libertarian". There's also a difference between "libertarian" and "Libertarian".