Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Rebuilding my bankroll--is this a good plan? Plus: PS + FTP questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=479458)

EN09 08-19-2007 09:50 AM

Re: Rebuilding my bankroll--is this a good plan? Plus: PS + FTP questi

[ QUOTE ]
Even when Party was as loose and terrible as the Foxwoods $1-2, and accessible to US players, that's no guarantee you wouldn't go broke if you played above your roll. For a poster to go insulting someone else when they plainly don't understand jack [censored] about BR management, and probably about poker in general, is pretty humorous.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first started online a few years ago it was with a $50 deposit on 'stars. Just testing the waters to be certain it wasn't a scam, or I was getting ripped off, or if it was "rigged" and all. I recall winning and getting hit in the face with the deck and doubling up in LHE playing 1/2 with my 'bankroll' - whatevah that was!

Now I had $100 and decided this was so easy I'd take my $100 to 3/6. A couple of $30 pots had me close to $150. Nice. Ka-ching! I could do this every day and get rich I thought!

Over the next 30 minutes I was back down to the $50 I started with, then $25. So moved down to .50/1 and lost the rest of it there. Wow, that seemed quick... Now I had no $$$ on 'stars and a serious case of being bummed out. I wanted to play but had no chips, and the 'play' thing wasn't gonna work.

I WAS HOOKED THOUGH! This online game was better than any home game I've ever played. Right in my living room, boxer shorts and all.

Now I'm a major BR believer. Worked my way up to 5/10 LHE than took some serious downswings, part bad play, confidence busting beats and losses, etc. Moved down to 3/6. Then down to 2/4. Then back to 1/2 and even .25/.50.

Now I'm building back up at the 5NL & 10NL games and having fun, and doing better. My bankroll? $1,000+. I did manage to turn my next $100 deposit into some nice coin. A couple of vacations were taken a couple of diamond necklaces were purchased for my wife. I decided to never again play my 'roll down to the nubbins. If I was losing, I was moving.

And I vowed to never allow my roll to get below $500 because I never wanted to have to tell my wife "I need to redeposit". I'm not playing on household money, mortgage money, grocery money and she can't say I'm a losing player even though there are, and were, times I lost $600 - $800 in a session.

Playing with a short 'roll isn't +EV for most people.

Playing with sound bankroll management is the foundation of our game.

EN

EDIT: Which is why I'm here at 2p2 and have gone from 'lurker' to hopefully a more knowledgeable player by being more active in the community.

Arjonius 08-20-2007 12:43 AM

This may seem ingenuously simple, but building the first $1000 or $2000 of bankroll is largely about playing games you can beat at a decent rate. Since that means you shouldn't be playing at any tables where the max. buyin is more that $50 or $100, it shouldn't be hard to do on any site or network with a reasonably number of players. The only difference in this regard is that the larger ones have more tables to chooses from.

Also, I wouldn't put to much emphasis on bonuses. Don't get me wrong; they're nice. However, if you're a winning player, the bonuses will take care of themselves. Don't do what I see too often, which is to play more hands and/or more aggressively in order to clear a bonus sooner.

Quicksilvre 08-20-2007 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I wouldn't put to much emphasis on bonuses. Don't get me wrong; they're nice. However, if you're a winning player, the bonuses will take care of themselves. Don't do what I see too often, which is to play more hands and/or more aggressively in order to clear a bonus sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understood. However, one of the things that I was hoping to so was play more hands. One of my biggest problems when I was playing in 2005 (other than playing too high and cashing out when I shouldn't have) was playing 50- or 100-hand sessions. I really think that I should resist hopping in and out of games for no good reason (right?).

But, point taken.