Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Funny / Clever / Original Message.... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=475660)

FlyWf 08-12-2007 11:52 PM

Re: Funny / Clever / Original Message....

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be funny to say "If this is an emergency, please hang up and dial 911."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually reasonably funny, but the second time I called you and got your voicemail I'd hate you for the rest of my life. guids is right. You people with "funny" messages, don't you ever apply for a new job? What if a doctor calls, or a potential business associate, or a landlord, or any grownup? How do you look someone in the face after you know they've listened to "Hey? How's it going? Ahhhh-ha, I got you, this is my voicemail. Holla atcha boy!!"?

In the Bourne Identity Matt Damon's character has his message in multiple languages, that would be pimp. I need to move to a place where I can justify that. That's the only acceptable variation.

Klompy 08-12-2007 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it didn't sound stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can anyone who's ever left a message on your machine confirm?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I got TONS of compliments, but I eventually changed it as it was overplayed to all the people who were calling, and to long to listen to to actully leave a message.

tuq 08-13-2007 12:21 AM

When I'm not poasting incessantly at 2+2 I am a recruiter, so I listen to people's VM all day. General agreement that the cutesy recordings are dumb, but there are worse: occasionally I'll stumble upon someone whose entire message is some hip-hop song or something stupid like that. No mention of their name or anything. I generally don't leave a message for those people and make a note to never call them again.

From a business perspective, my all-time favorite recording belonged to some guy who was referred to me. His recording consisted of him yelling his name into the phone, then beep. I think his name was Ernie Gonzales, or something close to that. ERRRRRRRNIE GONZALLLLLLLLLLES. Beep. Awesome.

Bulldog 08-13-2007 11:22 AM

I've always wanted a famous voice but never thought of it whenever I had the chance. Something like

"This is Vince Young. Bulldog isn't available right now, but leave a message and he'll get back to you. Go Titans!"

4_2_it 08-13-2007 11:26 AM

I don't even have a personalized message. You just get the AT&T lady telling you I am unavailable and to leave a message after the tone or press 5 to page this person.

Josey_Wales 08-13-2007 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
God I hate "cute" outgoing messages. When I'm calling someone, I just want to get them so I can speak. If they can't answer, I'm already pissed off and the last thing I need is an amateur stand-up routine. Just say "This is ___ leave a message" and end it right away so you don't waste my time. Furthermore, the same friends will be leaving messages, so even a funny joke will only be funny once -- the rest of the time it will be old and make you look like a douchebag.

[/ QUOTE ]

The worst part about messages now is after the damn beep you have to listen to another message about "more options" or "to leave a call back number"!!!

Yads 08-13-2007 12:15 PM

How to make a funny answering machine message here

DrewDevil 08-13-2007 12:31 PM

In the history of my life, I think I have only heard of one really cool message.

A good buddy of mine went to Penn and a good buddy of his was from Philadelphia. That guy's family was good friends with Harry Kalas, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Philadelphia Phillies.

Kalas has one of the most authentic-sounding "baseball announcer" voices ever. If you heard him ordering a steak, you'd instantly know he was a baseball announcer. Anyway, this guy's family had Kalas record their answering machine message:

Hello, the Smiths aren't here, they've gone for a LOOOONNNG drive! They're gone! They're outta here! They'll call back when they are SAFE at home! [beeeep]

tuq 08-13-2007 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't even have a personalized message. You just get the AT&T lady telling you I am unavailable and to leave a message after the tone or press 5 to page this person.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like this solely because if I'm dialing a number for the first time or am otherwise unsure about it then I don't know if I have the right person because it's a generic recording. Minor nit, but it happens about once a week or so or so.

4_2_it 08-13-2007 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like this solely because if I'm dialing a number for the first time or am otherwise unsure about it then I don't know if I have the right person because it's a generic recording. Minor nit, but it happens about once a week or so or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid point, however, it works great for those of us who like to keep their cell number private [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]