Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   My Journey to the Free Market (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=472987)

Bill Haywood 08-09-2007 01:58 AM

Re: My Journey to the Free Market

[ QUOTE ]
People who talk like this about Austrian economics usually don't understand it very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys have no idea how to end the state, not even platitudes or sophistry.

slickpoppa 08-09-2007 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mises economics is interesting and compelling, like exquisitely ordered ripples in sand dunes.

But it's all economics, no thought as to how society can be persuaded to adopt AC.

You have yet to seriously engage with the political impossibilities, but then dance away or get snippy when anyone presses you on it.

The enormous interests vested in the state cannot be driven off without creating a state-like apparatus to do it.

Please address this in a serious, respectful manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who talk like this about Austrian economics usually don't understand it very well. There are effective and interesting criticisms of ACism that are worth talking about, but people who just say "blah blah clever in theory but is impractical, couldnt be implemented in reality blah blah never gonna happen" usually dont understand the theory that well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? My contention is that those who think ACism could be implemented in reality usually don't understand the theory that well.

Making unsupported assertions is fun.

Borodog 08-09-2007 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Before anyone will be interested in how to get someplace, you have to convince them that it's worth going there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This board is full of people who are convinced.

Now tell them how.

[/ QUOTE ]

They already know how. You're the one having trouble comprehending, and you're the one who doesn't think it's worth getting there.

I may just make an OP on the topic, though. But alas, I'm a libertarian. You can't MAKE me do it.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Borodog 08-09-2007 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People who talk like this about Austrian economics usually don't understand it very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys have no idea how to end the state, not even platitudes or sophistry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you quote this in a response to a post of mine? It makes it look like you are responding to something I said.

Copernicus 08-09-2007 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mises economics is interesting and compelling, like exquisitely ordered ripples in sand dunes.

But it's all economics, no thought as to how society can be persuaded to adopt AC.

You have yet to seriously engage with the political impossibilities, but then dance away or get snippy when anyone presses you on it.

The enormous interests vested in the state cannot be driven off without creating a state-like apparatus to do it.

Please address this in a serious, respectful manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who talk like this about Austrian economics usually don't understand it very well. There are effective and interesting criticisms of ACism that are worth talking about, but people who just say "blah blah clever in theory but is impractical, couldnt be implemented in reality blah blah never gonna happen" usually dont understand the theory that well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? My contention is that those who think ACism could be implemented in reality usually don't understand the theory that well.

Making unsupported assertions is fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they understand the theory just fine, its not all that complex. Its reality that they dont understand.

mmbt0ne 08-09-2007 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If that doesn't leave me without preconceived notions on the two subjects, I don't know what kind of upbringing possibly could.

[/ QUOTE ]

None. It's impossible not to have preconceived notions simply because you didn't explicitly talk about or experience something.

Look at what you said about guns for an example:

[ QUOTE ]
I did have one strong political, however. I was very much pro gun control. Mostly because I was not raised around guns, and quite frankly was frightened by the very concept of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

W brad 08-09-2007 08:01 AM

A nice post, especially about your political awakening, but there are flaws in your perception, mostly what you wrote in this paragraph:
[ QUOTE ]
Meanwhile I continued to read. And watch. I became aware the the system is completely, totally rigged. The parties in power (if it's even worth using the plural) write the election laws, write the ballot access conditions, draw the electoral districts, have total control over a sycophantic media, etc. I realized that voting is a complete was of time, even if all of that were not true. Lastly, I realized that the LP is the proverbial herd of cats, and is a kook magnet for loons and rejects who have zero knowledge of what the libertarian philosophy is about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ballot access is not as hard as you may think. Once gained it only takes typically 5% of the vote to keep a spot on the ballot. Minor parties often achieve this one election but then fail to hold onto it again in the next election. In winner take all elections, 5% is a very reasonable floor to avoid cluttering the ballot. And signature requirements, while bothersome, are not all that hard to achieve either, proven by the simple fact that many candidates achieve it all the time.

It is easy to blame election systemic issues for minor party woes, but the truth is simply that the minor party has failed to convince enough people to support their positions and vote for them. If you had ideas that a significant segment of the population supported, nothing could stop you from being a big factor in every election and would have automatic ballot access as well.

Then you mention a sycophantic media. What rot. There are people of all persuasions in the media, more than willing to write about all sorts of ideas and programs. But they also want to write about things that are relevant to real people. Once again, it is only the fact that a minor party has no traction with the electorate, unable to gain support for their ideas, that leads to the minimal coverage in the media. Why should the media waste time writing about candidates that will receive 1% of the vote? There is nothing sycophantic about a reporter deciding to write about only candidates and parties that have a real chance to win. It's just plain good sense. If you want the media to be "sycophantic" towards you, sell your ideas to more people and become a party that does pretty well in elections (even as little as 15% should do the trick). There are no restrictions on free speech that are preventing you from doing this.

You say you realised that voting is a complete waste of time, but in truth I think you realised that you were selling something that very very few people wanted and it was painful for you to be reminded of this every time there was an election. Don't blame society for your failure to sell your ideas to a critical mass of people. If your ideas were truly good ones, you could succeed in selling them. That you have failed to do so year after year says a lot more about the ideas you are selling than it does about the electoral system or the media.

Bill Haywood 08-09-2007 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I may just make an OP on the topic, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betcha don't.

[ QUOTE ]
[16:17] Borodog: You want the conspiracy more.

[/ QUOTE ]

The once and future king 08-09-2007 09:12 AM

[X] Boro updates his blog.

Nielsio 08-09-2007 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A+ would read again

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/images/11...eerleaders.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]