Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Quixtar/ multi-level marketing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=471516)

heater 08-07-2007 01:36 PM

Re: Quixtar/ multi-level marketing

[ QUOTE ]
From what I know about it, the people who make huge bank do so from selling the shiny packaging: seminars, tapes and books. Much bigger margins for those items and only the top of the pyramid gets to sell them.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. You have to be Platinum or higher and none of these products are produced by Amway/Quixtar. The top distributors either produce their own materials or buy them wholesale elsewhere.

Back in the 70s or 80s was when this first became a major problem for Amway. It sounds strange, but Amway itself isn't as bad as it's top distributors. Amway didn't like the fact that their people were running this side business of high-priced seminars, books, tapes, etc. Partly because it cut into the sales of actual Amway products and partly because they felt like their new distributors were getting ripped off.

Now you weren't just pressured into spending $100-150 to get started in the business. If you REALLY want to show you're serious about being successful, you need to buy $300 worth of promotional materials and drive 400 miles to the $49.99 monthly seminar in Cincinnati.

So Amway told their top dogs that they had stop their side businesses. Their top dogs told them that they would leave Amway and take their downlines with them. Amway caved because they really had no choice if they wanted to survive and it became the Scamway that it is today.

mason55 08-07-2007 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, I could go on and on for hours about what I know about Quixtar.

[/ QUOTE ]

please do

suzzer99 08-07-2007 01:44 PM

Bumped an old hilarious thread just for you Mike.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post6380328

Mike Gallo 08-07-2007 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quixtar=Amway

Quixtar expose

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read that, pretty eye opening. Thanks for the article.

tuq 08-07-2007 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quixtar=Amway

Quixtar expose

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read that, pretty eye opening. Thanks for the article.

[/ QUOTE ]
By the way, it's worth noting that Chris Hansen wrote that article, apparently before he became a full-time pederast chaser.

Cornell Fiji 08-07-2007 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Ask me about working for a cult-like pyramid scheme" is a thread that I would be very interested in reading

tpir 08-07-2007 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Ask me about working for a cult-like pyramid scheme" is a thread that I would be very interested in reading

[/ QUOTE ]

heater 08-07-2007 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't be very interesting, though. Alticor itself has a pretty typical work environment. Eeveryone working there knows the history of the company and most are well aware of what goes on "out in the field". Other than going through a detailed explanation of their business model during orientation, there is no "indoctrination" into the Amway culture or anything.

The only thing that was annoying was the regular tours being held for IBO's. Once every couple of weeks everything had to be "just so" because some group of IBO's from Tennessee or California was going to be coming through next Tuesday. Any sort of contact with IBO's was surreal. They were all way too happy to be wandering around a sea of cubicles in some bland 30-year old office building.

I don't know how many times I was asked by an IBO why I worked at Amway for an hourly wage when I knew firsthand about this fantastic business opportunity. I'd have to explain nicely that it wasn't for me, etc. They were constantly recruiting.

JasonK 08-07-2007 03:47 PM

Hey man, everybody uses toilet paper. Get yourself a piece of the action.

suzzer99 08-07-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how many times I was asked by an IBO why I worked at Amway for an hourly wage when I knew firsthand about this fantastic business opportunity. I'd have to explain nicely that it wasn't for me, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's something I've always wondered about the people who answer late night calls for the "Make $$$ out of your home working one hour a week!" infomercials. Ok, so why again are you working an 8 hour graveyard shift answering calls for $7/hr?