Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Too Close to call...a clear fold or not? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=471288)

calidris 08-07-2007 02:34 PM

Re: Too Close to call...a clear fold or not?

Marginal hand that should be folded PF. If you really think that MP3 is raising with a weaker hand than yours then go ahead and RR PF to isolate. Problem is that HU you really go for a TP win and that's kinda hard with QJ. You will be far ahead if he raise with Tx but how often does that happen?

Flop is one of these though decision spots and you seem to lack one player in the history (someone all in?). The reason it's a tough decision is that sure, you got the odds to call one but you also have playes waiting to act after you who might raise and ruin your day. You can fill your straight on the turn already but to get your flush you need to pay two streets and that lowers your odds. This would make me inclined to fold to the first bet. There will be better spots.

carlosoli 08-07-2007 03:26 PM

As with a lot of theories that are in books, I find it hard to do and always need to learn the hard way. That being said, I used to cold call a lot of hands like this "because I could flop something". Many times I flopped the second best hand or flopped nothing and folded to a c-bet. I was actually just trying to explain this concept to one of my friends the other day. We lose 2 bets WAY more often that we gain anything IMO. If there are many callers and I have position, then I'll call. I probably 3-bet more than I call now and my bankroll has seen the difference. I start losing again when I start coldcalling.

my 2cents

Nick D 08-07-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nick, based on that cold call %age you call too much.

I asked this in that A5s thread and Ill repeat the essence of the question...what would you do with QJo in this spot? what value do you place on being sooted?

ozi

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that I assumed having suited cards gave our hole cards another way to win.. W/ QJo i'm folding here. SSHE puts so much emphasis on playing suited cards and only playing the very best offsuit cards that I just assumed suited cards were ok to call with here..

Question for everyone..if I'm folding here, am I folding KQs, KQo, KJs, KJo, or AJo? I assume the first is a reraise, the second is ??, the third is ??, the fourth is a fold, and the fifth is a fold? (It's clear my preflop game still has a ways to go).
Nick

KitCloudkicker 08-07-2007 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Question for everyone..if I'm folding here, am I folding KQs, KQo, KJs, KJo, or AJo? I assume the first is a reraise, the second is ??, the third is ??, the fourth is a fold, and the fifth is a fold? (It's clear my preflop game still has a ways to go).
Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

the answer to these questions depends on who is doing the raising and from what position he is doing it. you can make a good argument for 3 betting all of these hands in some situations and folding all of these hands in others.

Xhad 08-07-2007 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question for everyone..if I'm folding here, am I folding KQs, KQo, KJs, KJo, or AJo?

[/ QUOTE ]

If those numbers are accurate (and you've very likely seen something shown down to help complete the read), I 3bet all of these except possibly KJo.

Ulkis 08-07-2007 04:03 PM

Good thread. I am going to go on a limb here and say that if one blindly follows SSHE tight hand chart, cold call PF% converges to ~1%. In order to get closer to .5%, adjustments need to be done and, as KitCloudkicker said, they need to be flexible.

Nick D 08-07-2007 04:05 PM

Another terrible PF play.. I think the reason my PF play is so mediocre/outright poor is that I focused on my Post-flop play more than my preflop play when I first started out. SSHE says that the postflop is more important and not to waste your time with strict rules for preflop, so I gave the preflop stuff a few quick reads and moved on the other sections...bring on the bashing.. i need it:

Full Tilt 0.25/0.5 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

River: (17 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB

I mean, yeah..it worked out, but still a bad play pf.. Maybe if there was one more caller, could I play this? or is this just way to speculative? Should I quit poker? haha

BigBadBabar 08-07-2007 04:10 PM

this is a fine pf play

Ulkis 08-07-2007 04:15 PM

Perhaps some people can't help calling raises with T9o. Try putting SSHE chart into excel, print it, follow it, resist the urge. What's your VP$IP, Nick?

Nick D 08-07-2007 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps some people can't help calling raises with T9o. Try putting SSHE chart into excel, print it, follow it, resist the urge. What's your VP$IP, Nick?

[/ QUOTE ]

18.50 over 6,109 hands