Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Poppinfresh's log (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=468999)

shemp 08-16-2007 02:19 AM

Re: Poppinfresh\'s log

There are several different body types/lever lengths in this video. In all you'll see the shoulders and hips rising as one and the bar traveling close to the body. The lifter is just standing up, in a safe way, with the bar:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...dliftIntro.wmv

But don't try to watch yourself do this in the mirror. It is something you need to feel.

PoppinFresh 08-16-2007 02:27 AM

Thanks for the vid shemp.

I feel like I know what I need to do and don't have a problem with lighter weights, but I just can't get my body to move as one as I increase the weight and my torso inevitably "falls" forward a bit. Will keep working on it

Thremp 08-16-2007 02:37 AM

Grey haired guy had the best form IMO. I hate the way almost all of them are lowering the bar. Also many are using an overhand grip which sucks.

Pop,

Maybe setting the bar up a little farther forward and pulling back more with help?

shemp 08-16-2007 02:41 AM

Overhand grip is fine Thremp. Change to an alternate grip when grip strength becomes a limiting factor-- but until that point, best to develop grip strength via an overhand grip.

PoppinFresh 08-16-2007 02:50 AM

Yeah moving the bar up a bit might be a good idea.

Just went and checked out my form in front of a mirror, and comparing my deadlift to that video my torso starts out in a more upright position than anyone else is doing. If I start out bent over further that seems like it would help

Thremp 08-16-2007 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah moving the bar up a bit might be a good idea.

Just went and checked out my form in front of a mirror, and comparing my deadlift to that video my torso starts out in a more upright position than anyone else is doing. If I start out bent over further that seems like it would help

[/ QUOTE ]

Should be Knees>Hips>Shoulders. If you are normally sized and built they should be roughly equidistant from one another. If perhaps you have an amazingly strong lower back you can turn it into more of a SLDL, but whatever you do...

Good luck!

PoppinFresh 08-17-2007 05:07 PM

8/16/07: 30 min stationary bike

8/17/07: 4 min tabata sprints

Workout B:

Squats:

1x5 @ 45
1x5 @ 95
1x3 @ 135
1x2 @ 155

3x5 @ 165

Very nearly failed the last rep of my last set, and I realized that I have no idea what I'm supposed to do if this were to happen. I have the bars set on the squat rack below me, but the bar is 2-3 inches above them at the bottom of my squat and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to safely get that low. Just try and fall forward I guess?

Standing military:

1x5 @ 45
1x3 @ 55

3x5 @ 65

Pendlay Rows:

1x5 @ 45
1x5 @ 65

3x5 @ 75

Feeling a lot better about these, I think a couple more weeks of stretching/practice and I will be solid

Pullups:

3x3 @ bodyweight

Wow turns out I can actually do a few of these, very pleasant surprise

shemp 08-17-2007 05:13 PM

Practice dumping with the bar. I think you'll find that that 2 inches isn't really a problem. If it still is a problem, then go with better to fail a backsquat backwards and see how that goes.

Good workout.

PoppinFresh 08-17-2007 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Practice dumping with the bar. I think you'll find that that 2 inches isn't really a problem. If it still is a problem, then go with better to fail a backsquat backwards and see how that goes.

Good workout.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

Thanks

shemp 08-17-2007 05:25 PM

I mean that if you try the experiment as I said I think you'll see there isn't much of a problem with covering the 2-3 inches, but if you still aren't comfortable-- then I'm giving you more direct advice-- fail backwards if you can. There's not a nice way to dump a back squat, that is why it is wise to use the cage or trained spotters every single time.