Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   why don't more bikes have kickstands? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=457673)

tsearcher 07-22-2007 06:40 PM

Re: why don\'t more bikes have kickstands?

A well built road bike will last a life time. It's also much easier to do maintenance and repairs on a decent bike than on a crappy department store one.

daryn 07-22-2007 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why lol @ getting a car for several thousand?

[/ QUOTE ]

How many new cars can you get for under 5 grand?

[/ QUOTE ]

it has to be new? everyone drives new cars??

BigCummins 07-22-2007 06:44 PM

My BMX Bike cost more than each of my first 3 cars.

cbloom 07-22-2007 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A well built road bike will last a life time. It's also much easier to do maintenance and repairs on a decent bike than on a crappy department store one.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, unless you crash! Part of why I prefer a great metal frame to a carbon frame.

Why would you spend a lot of money on shoes? On a nice car? On a nice house? Because it gives you a higher quality product that you can enjoy.

OP, if you want a kickstand, get one, don't be a biketard.

bottomset 07-22-2007 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Another serious reason is that when you have a bike that costs several hundred to several thousand dollars you aren't likely to leave it in front of the grocery store while you go shopping so there is little need for one.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would anyone spend several thousand on a bicycle? I mean, you can get a car for that much. Can you try to describe me me what makes a very nice bike better than just an average bike?

[/ QUOTE ]

why would anyone spend 10k+ on a watch, you can get one that tells the time just as well for $20

Duke 07-22-2007 07:53 PM

You can get a kickstand that connects near the back of the frame (and is out of the way) for less than $50. Sometimes they're useful, even on a decent bike. They're trivially removable too, as 99% of the time a kickstand just gets in the way.

I love how so many people are always waiting in line to jump on the "I don't know anything about item X, but I think it's ridiculous for people to spend more than Y on it" bandwagon.

Like, I think that every single "mid-luxury" type of car is a complete waste of money. They're marginally nicer than the cheapest options, but completely suck when compared to really nice cars. Everyone with an Acura instead of a Honda, or a Lexus instead of a Toyota is wasting money. Either buy the cheapest option that does what you need (in terms of seating and basic performance), or buy a Ferrari/Bentley/Whatever. Spending $30k on a car is fine, and spending $300k on a car is fine. Spending $60k on one is a complete waste of $30k.

But you know what? Someone might actually get a lot out of the prettier trim and the alarm that tells you to put the seat belt on. Let them be happy with their purchases.

LetItBe 07-22-2007 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how so many people are always waiting in line to jump on the "I don't know anything about item X, but I think it's ridiculous for people to spend more than Y on it" bandwagon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. I was going to type out the difference between materials used, components, stiffness, and all the other stuff that make expensive bikes worth it but...people who don't ride still won't get it. I don't blame them, because why would someone who doesn't ride care about how stiff his bike is? He doesn't, and he probably shouldn't, but that doesn't mean others don't.

ocdscale 07-22-2007 08:08 PM

I can't understand how people spend so much money on poker chips. Me and my friends use colored paper clips and they work just fine.

Duke 07-22-2007 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't understand how people spend so much money on poker chips. Me and my friends use colored paper clips and they work just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what about those "shoes" that people waste so much money on? I saw a Kenyan run a marathon barefoot and crack 2:20.

Duke 07-22-2007 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. I was going to type out the difference between materials used, components, stiffness, and all the other stuff that make expensive bikes worth it but...people who don't ride still won't get it. I don't blame them, because why would someone who doesn't ride care about how stiff his bike is? He doesn't, and he probably shouldn't, but that doesn't mean others don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you seem to know about bikes, and I was thinking of getting back into it, I have a couple questions. It's been 15 years, and I'm 6'6" 230 and basically rode a mountain bike as if it were a BMX bike.

1. What do you think of single speeds? Aside from climbs being out of the question, and needing to stand a lot of the time, are there any other "gotchas?"

2. Disc Brakes: are they a scam or do they work well?

3. If I only ever had mountain bikes in the past, would my riding style likely destroy a road bike? I'm used to hopping all over [censored] and kind of weigh a lot. I was thinking of getting 2 bikes, but don't know if the road bike would be a waste of money.

4. Are there durability issues with 29" wheels?

5. If you had $1k - $1500 to drop on a bike, what would you get?