Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Post your Favorite board game and why (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=455361)

cianosheehan 07-19-2007 07:16 PM

Re: Post your Favorite board game and why

[ QUOTE ]
From my experience, Risk is like a really sucktastic version of Axis & Allies, but whatever I don't play either of them anymore.

Growing up I was a huge fan of games made by Games Workshop out of England. Their more famous titles were the Warhammer series and Judge Dredd, but I preferred their offbeat titles, the best known of which were Talisman and Blood Bowl. But they also had a bunch of obscure titles that were as fun as anything I'd ever played, and would still play today without hesitation if they weren't buried in storage somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg I had an active resentment towards that game!! ARG! When I was younger my friends would sit in and play it and me and my brother would have nothing to do. Dunno what I hated more, the game itself or my friends for ignoring us in favour of the game!!

gumpzilla 07-19-2007 07:34 PM

I love the idea of Diplomacy - Risk-like, but with the element of chance completely removed - but that game takes forever and (based on my two times playing it) frequently results in the urge to kill.

New001 07-19-2007 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From my experience, Risk is like a really sucktastic version of Axis & Allies, but whatever I don't play either of them anymore.

Growing up I was a huge fan of games made by Games Workshop out of England. Their more famous titles were the Warhammer series and Judge Dredd, but I preferred their offbeat titles, the best known of which were Talisman and Blood Bowl. But they also had a bunch of obscure titles that were as fun as anything I'd ever played, and would still play today without hesitation if they weren't buried in storage somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
Warhammer Fantasy and 40K were both awesome. I went into a GW store for the first time in 4 or 5 years last week, and I really wanted to buy some cool stuff. Sigh [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

heater 07-19-2007 07:39 PM

OP,

My favorite board game is also A&A, but not the old lame version you describe. It's been years since I've played that. Do yourself a favor and pick up the newer version. It owns.

A&A Battle of the Bulge plays quite a bit different than all of the other A&A games but it may be my new favorite. I've only played it once so I'm not sure yet.

JMP300z 07-19-2007 07:41 PM

GW games are generally good. Im was a big warhammer fantasy geek.

As far as board games.

Settlers is a classic.
Diplomacy is great for extended play over the internet and the like.
I also really enjoyed Guillotine at lunch in school.
Al Hambra sticks out in my mind.
Puerto Rico is pretty good.
THeres another civilization type game around the mediterranean that was awesome...cant remember.

As far as classics go, scrabble is the jam. Rummyque is also fun.

I cant stand cranium. That [censored] is the most obnoxious game ever and all my friends who dont realize how big a gaming geek/snob i am love it. Kill me plz.

-JP

cianosheehan 07-19-2007 07:42 PM

I love;
Pictionary
Cranium
and Mindtrap

kidcolin 07-19-2007 08:15 PM

Cranium is the most fun.

I used to enjoy Risk/Space Risk quite a bit, but it's been a long time.

2/325Falcon 07-19-2007 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite board game is now checkers because it was just announced that the game is officially dead.

A computer program has been confirmed to have mapped out the 500 billion billion possible moves in a game and the machine cannot be beaten. An opponent playing the same 'perfect' game as the machine would result in a tie.

R.I.P. Checkers
We will miss you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try 10x10 international draughts with flying kings.

daryn 07-19-2007 08:32 PM

this thread is right up astroglide's alley.. maybe gorie too?

Anacardo 07-19-2007 08:37 PM

Settlers of Catan tilt is 20x worse than any poker tilt you've ever had in your life.