Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Having minors at your home game (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=454187)

Grasshopp3r 07-23-2007 03:55 PM

Re: Having minors at your home game

I ran some notices of games on this forum. I had some replies from some 2+2 posters who mentioned that they were 19. I un-invited them as I thought that minors at a game was an unacceptable risk.

Zetack 07-23-2007 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I ran some notices of games on this forum. I had some replies from some 2+2 posters who mentioned that they were 19. I un-invited them as I thought that minors at a game was an unacceptable risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 19 year old is not a minor in the United States.

Grasshopp3r 07-23-2007 06:45 PM

They are when it comes to gaming and drinking, at least in my jurisdiction. I know that those who are 19-21 must feel persecuted and they are.

Zetack 07-24-2007 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are when it comes to gaming and drinking, at least in my jurisdiction. I know that those who are 19-21 must feel persecuted and they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

[Nit] To be a minor means that you are not legally an adult. It does not mean that you are prohibited from certain activities because of your age. A 19 year old is legally an adult in every jursisdiction in the United States. [/Nit]

Javanewt 07-24-2007 10:11 AM

I agree that 18, 19, and 20 year olds are not minors, but they are not allowed to drink alcohol or, in some jurisdicions, play poker.

As I said before, if alcohol were present at my game, which it always is, I would not allow anyone under 21. If there were no alcohol, I'd allow 18 and older, because that's the law in KY.

If it were my own child / young adult, it might be different, but I don't have kids and don't plan to have any, so it's moot. I might let a friend bring their child to play, but it would have to be a very good friend.

geoncic 07-24-2007 12:28 PM

my boss invited me to his home game when I was 18-19. I got drunk off of his beer and won the winner take all tournament.

It was the first time I ever played poker, and I got remarks from coworkers the next day jokingly saying "we can't afford to invite you back.."

All in good fun though.
I was invited back and ordered pizza for everyone and donated my buy-ins the next few times :P

Javanewt 07-24-2007 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my boss invited me to his home game when I was 18-19. I got drunk off of his beer and won the winner take all tournament.

It was the first time I ever played poker, and I got remarks from coworkers the next day jokingly saying "we can't afford to invite you back.."

All in good fun though.
I was invited back and ordered pizza for everyone and donated my buy-ins the next few times :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank goodness you made it home safely. I hope for your sake and your boss' that you walked or had a ride.

The getting drunk is exactly why I will not allow people under 21 at my home games. Thanks for re-confirming for me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

IcarusJam 07-24-2007 04:54 PM

i agree with the whole rake thing that was commented above, but hey, i just happen to be the 19 year old kid wanting to play at your aurora game.

i don't drink and i look 21. ;-p sorry i've been outta town, thanks for at least addressing this to others.

demon102 07-24-2007 07:52 PM

if ur over 30 then no way in hell, if ur under 30 then its whatever

frommagio 07-24-2007 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My son has been playing in my neighborhood low-limit home games since he was 8 years old; now he's 13. I fund his buy-ins, and if he wins, he can keep any profit above the buy-ins.

[/ QUOTE ]

If its your kid and you are there too, obviously that's a completely different animal than having kids over to your home game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree. I certainly wouldn't let my son play at some other game without me, and I wouldn't allow any other kid to play at my game without a parent present. This is a low-limit neighborhood situation, and my son happens to be very interested (and capable).