Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   1 Book to read for 2 months (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=451139)

Los Feliz Slim 07-14-2007 11:35 PM

Re: 1 Book to read for 2 months

[ QUOTE ]
the old man and the sea

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this leaflet, "Famous Jewish Sports Legends"?

Duke 07-14-2007 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the old man and the sea

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this leaflet, "Famous Jewish Sports Legends"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the entire stock of the Hamtramck (MI) library. I'm pretty sure you can get a hold of the book.

That was probably funnier when Hamtramck was 99% Polish.

Potvaliant 07-15-2007 12:05 AM

It's 3 books, but Neal Stephenson's The Baroque Cycle might be a good choice. It's fiction (the author considers it science fiction), but he's a huge geek and takes some very interesting diversions into cryptology, economics, politics, history, etc. Each book is 8-900 pages, but they're in paperback now so they shouldn't take up a ton of space.

bogey 07-15-2007 12:08 AM

Duke,

The eBook thing isn't a bad idea. I don't have one right now though, and can't really see myself reading that much off of a screen. Anyone have one and recommend it?

bogey 07-15-2007 12:09 AM

What about any good autobiographies or something of the sort that you can learn a lot from?

Duke 07-15-2007 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Duke,

The eBook thing isn't a bad idea. I don't have one right now though, and can't really see myself reading that much off of a screen. Anyone have one and recommend it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know of any that most people would like. I use an old Palm Vx for that, but I doubt that 99% of people would be OK with the display. The iPhone would be perfect if I wouldn't have to kill so many contracts to switch to AT&T that it would run me $1400+service to start it up.

Triumph36 07-15-2007 12:16 AM

war and peace sucks - plz to be avoiding.

i'm trying to read decline and fall of the roman empire but kinda failing. certainly has the length but won't help you make money.

how about super/system? lols.

bogey 07-15-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's 3 books, but Neal Stephenson's The Baroque Cycle might be a good choice. It's fiction (the author considers it science fiction), but he's a huge geek and takes some very interesting diversions into cryptology, economics, politics, history, etc. Each book is 8-900 pages, but they're in paperback now so they shouldn't take up a ton of space.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just looked that up and it looks really cool and interesting. Before investing so much time in books like that though, I kind of prefer that they have withstood the test of time already. I know thats snobbish but what can I say.

Duke 07-15-2007 12:18 AM

All knowledge helps you make money. All of it.

bobman0330 07-15-2007 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just looked that up and it looks really cool and interesting. Before investing so much time in books like that though, I kind of prefer that they have withstood the test of time already. I know thats snobbish but what can I say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cryptonomicon is by the same author, is only one book, and is also very good. Snow Crash is also by the same author, is one short book, and is excellent.