Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   All-Time Pitching Rotation - By Team (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=449540)

jedi 07-12-2007 05:30 PM

Re: All-Time Pitching Rotation - By Team

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Hershiser's 1988 season is the best single-season performance by a pitcher in my lifetime (38 years).

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit of a derail here, but what about Dwight Gooden '85?
24-4, 1.53 ERA, 0.965 WHIP, 268 K, 69 BB, 16 CG, 8 SHO.

Hershiser's '88 for comparison
23-8, 2.26 ERA, 1.052 WHIP, 178 K, 73 BB, 15 CG, 8 SHO.

85 Must have been a sick year for NL pitching, I see that Hershiser was 3rd in CY voting, and that year was arguably better than his '88:
19-3, 2.03 ERA, 1.031 WHIP, 157 K, 68 BB, 9 CG, 5 SHO.

Looks like John Tudor was the other guy with more votes that year, with a 21-8, 1.93 ERA, 0.94 WHIP season. Sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ending the year with 6 straight shutouts should earn you the nod. Plus, include his playoff and World Series performances, and Hershiser's '88 was the best in my lifetime as well. He also nearly out hit McGwire and Canseco on his own.

But yeah, Gooden and Tudor had a pretty sick '85.

Kneel B4 Zod 07-12-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers

1. Sandy Koufax
2. Don Drysdale
3. Don Newcombe
4. Don Sutton

1. Eric Gagne
2. Takashi Saito

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would take Hershiser in his prime over Sutton. Shorter career, but IMHO much higher peak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Hershiser's 1988 season is the best single-season performance by a pitcher in my lifetime (38 years).

[/ QUOTE ]

after you adjust his #'s for pitching in a pitchers park, in the NL, and for defense, his 1988 would be Pedro's 8th or 9th best season

Pedro 2000 owns all

kyleb 07-12-2007 05:37 PM

Yeah, I was going to say, did anyone bother to check Pedro's or Maddux's seasons in their prime...

DrewDevil 07-12-2007 05:41 PM

I should have mentioned that I'm not a stathead and I was just most impressed with the way Hershiser... um... didn't allow any runs in the second half of the season, playoff, and WS.

slothinator 07-12-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I was going to say, did anyone bother to check Pedro's or Maddux's seasons in their prime...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because we are lazy and we knew you would probably do it for us. You're always good for stuff like that. Don't let us down.

TheNoodleMan 07-12-2007 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Sandy Koufax
2. Don Drysdale
3. Don Newcombe
4. Don Sutton

1. Eric Gagne
2. Takashi Saito

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would take Hershiser in his prime over Sutton. Shorter career, but IMHO much higher peak.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

after you adjust his #'s for pitching in a pitchers park, in the NL, and for defense, his 1988 would be Pedro's 8th or 9th best season

Pedro 2000 owns all

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the adjustment for carrying your team through the post season?
40 Innings of post-season pitching with an era of 1.06 makes Hershiser's 88 season nastier than anything Pedro ever did.

bottomset 07-12-2007 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Sandy Koufax
2. Don Drysdale
3. Don Newcombe
4. Don Sutton

1. Eric Gagne
2. Takashi Saito

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pedro 2000 owns all

[/ QUOTE ]

40 Innings of post-season pitching with an era of 1.06 makes Hershiser's 88 season nastier than anything Pedro ever did.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope

Pedro's 99 and 2000 are beyond insane

Kneel B4 Zod 07-12-2007 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should have mentioned that I'm not a stathead and I was just most impressed with the way Hershiser... um... didn't allow any runs in the second half of the season, playoff, and WS.

[/ QUOTE ]

in 2000, pitching 1/2 his games in a run scoring park, and against DH's, in an offense happy league, Pedro allowed 42 runs in 217 innings.

in 1988, pitching 1/2 his games in a pitchers park, and against pitchers, Orel allowed 67 in 267 innings. so he threw 50 more innings and allowed 25 more runs.

Orel had a ridiculous stretch, but the seasons really don't compare.

slothinator 07-12-2007 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Sandy Koufax
2. Don Drysdale
3. Don Newcombe
4. Don Sutton

1. Eric Gagne
2. Takashi Saito

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pedro 2000 owns all

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Small sample size strikes again. 88 Hersheiser < any Pedro. Having a great 2 month run in one season does equate to having a great 5+ year run. Oh, but it was the playoffs. Clutchiness and heart and guts and all that jazz. Nevermind; Orel Hersheiser is obviously much better than Pedro Martinez. DICY?

No, I don't.

Karak567 07-12-2007 05:50 PM

I'm a younger Yankee fan (in my 20s) but I'll do my best to construct what I think is "the best"

Roger Clemens
Whitey Ford
Ron Guidry
David Cone
Lefty Gomez