Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Ask Borno about undergrad business internships (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=448493)

bigshowmack 07-23-2007 03:46 AM

Re: Ask Borno about undergrad business internships

Hey Borno hows the court case coming?

d0nkaments 07-24-2007 12:11 AM

Borno,

I am only a first year, going to be a second year this coming fall 2007. I am very interested in becoming an analyst after undergrad, but my GPA is low as of now, 2.9 but I think I can raise it to 3.0+ However, I have had 4 internships already, 3 of them being in the business finance field. Should I keep going with these internships or just concentrate on school? A lot of times these internships give me less time for school, thus bringing my grades down slightly.

emon87 07-24-2007 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Borno,

I am only a first year, going to be a second year this coming fall 2007. I am very interested in becoming an analyst after undergrad, but my GPA is low as of now, 2.9 but I think I can raise it to 3.0+ However, I have had 4 internships already, 3 of them being in the business finance field. Should I keep going with these internships or just concentrate on school? A lot of times these internships give me less time for school, thus bringing my grades down slightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to work in a bulge bracket firm?

Also are these internships providing skills/experience that will actually benefit you when interviewing for a (I presume you meant) I-banking analyst position?

What school?

btmagnetw 07-24-2007 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Borno,

[/ QUOTE ]4 is more than enough, get your grades up

DannyOcean_ 07-27-2007 01:25 AM

i'm getting a research internship in economics hopefully. You guys can have the banking and finance jobs, i'll be happy in theorectical graph land. holla.

boardertj 08-04-2007 05:26 AM

Hey Borno, how hard are trading internships to come by? I am going to be a 3rd year economics major from a top 40 school, 3.2 gpa, decent resume etc.

I feel that most finaince jobs will be incredibly boring and I will hate my job, however, I am very interested in trading and thats what I want to pursue as of now.

emon87 08-05-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Borno, how hard are trading internships to come by? I am going to be a 3rd year economics major from a top 40 school, 3.2 gpa, decent resume etc.

I feel that most finaince jobs will be incredibly boring and I will hate my job, however, I am very interested in trading and thats what I want to pursue as of now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably have very little to no chance of landing one at a Bulge Bracket IBank or large trading firm, but you might have a shot at a smaller firm, especially if you start in BO stuff.

xsizzurpx 08-05-2007 12:34 AM

emon can you explain what exactly trading entails I have a vague idea but would like someone knowledgable in the field to give me some more details.

emon87 08-05-2007 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
emon can you explain what exactly trading entails I have a vague idea but would like someone knowledgable in the field to give me some more details.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a number of things that different firms do. TONS. These range from buying and selling stocks similar to a day trader to trading derivatives to market making, and many more. Trading is a very broad category.

I am going to be working for a market maker in the fall.

xsizzurpx 08-05-2007 12:10 PM

Do you have any advice as to where to start in looking for an internship in this field?