Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Free market solution to spam (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=437500)

Paragon 06-28-2007 07:32 AM

Re: Free market solution to spam

Gmail seems terrific at stopping spam... And you can pipe your email through their spam filter and even keep your current address if you want. All for free of course too. Clearly more govt is needed here.

MidGe 06-28-2007 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gmail seems terrific at stopping spam... And you can pipe your email through their spam filter and even keep your current address if you want. All for free of course too. Clearly more govt is needed here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you don't understand the issue. You don't understand how you have been robbed. GMail is very good, I use it too, as my primary address, its spamming filters are good but nowhere as good as other free ones (bayesian PopFile comes to mind). But that is not the issue, it doesn't at all, either Gmail or PopFile, for that matter, hurt or prevent the spammer spamming, hence YOU pay for it. And yes, this is a good example of the free market failing because of bullying. Might is right is what AC'ers would like to revert to. Every state that I know of, correct me of I am wrong, is based on another state or ultimately on an AC society which was less desirable than a state and government. This is so obvious that it is painful to even have to mention it.

Your argument about Gmail has little to do with the issue. I am glad you enjoy Gmail, so do I, but not for the same reasons as you give, which are senseless in answer to my post.

TomCollins 06-28-2007 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stopping "spam" is stopping free speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spam is a method of preventing free speech, flooding communication channels with noise in order to drown out unwanted discourse.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Ironyaments

pvn 06-28-2007 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Spam is a method of preventing free speech, flooding communication channels with noise in order to drown out unwanted discourse.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. The guy trying to sell you a whatever penny stock pump-and-dump is really just trying to keep you from reading your messages from match.com.

AlexM 06-28-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Undoubtedly, but it's also speech itself and Congress can't legally do a thing about it.

AlexM 06-28-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The government getting involved in the internet is just a plain bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, to get after spammers has nothing to do with regulating the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm... yes it does, and while I hate to make a slippery slope argument, everything the government does seems to end up on a slippery slope.

AlexM 06-28-2007 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. The guy trying to sell you a whatever penny stock pump-and-dump is really just trying to keep you from reading your messages from match.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused by the point of your post? You agree that spam is an initiation of force, right?

pvn 06-28-2007 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused by the point of your post?

[/ QUOTE ]

q/q's use of "in order to" implies that the *objective* of the spam is to "drown out unwanted discourse". That's plainly false in the vast majority of cases. Denial of service attacks rarely, if ever, use spam as the weapon.

[ QUOTE ]
You agree that spam is an initiation of force, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Unsolicited communications are part of the purpose for having an email address. Now if you specifically tell someone "I do not wish to recieve commercial messages, or bulk messages (or whatever)" we're in a different ballpark.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with my self-funded, free-market solution to spam. My filters have let through precisely two spam messages this month, and I've had zero false positives.

QuadsOverQuads 06-28-2007 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unregulated spamming completely destroyed Usenet as a system for political discourse.

Spam-bombing (involuntarily subscribing victims to bulk-email lists) is also used as a direct method of harassment and intimidation.

Lastly, mass-posting of political spam is used to disable and flood out unwanted discourse on many message boards, including this one.

q/q

TomCollins 06-28-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unregulated spamming completely destroyed Usenet as a system for political discourse.

Spam-bombing (involuntarily subscribing victims to bulk-email lists) is also used as a direct method of harassment and intimidation.

Lastly, mass-posting of political spam is used to disable and flood out unwanted discourse on many message boards, including this one.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this your personal philosophy for posting on 2+2?