Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Cold calling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=436467)

tommo 06-27-2007 03:23 PM

Re: Cold calling

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think it would be a big leak to never ever cold-call a single raise in a mid stakes 6-max NL except for pocket pairs, ie 3-bet or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

it would make you very predictable for sure. say you call with 22 - 99 and raise or fold the rest - as soon as your opponent knows your calling range he can pretty much play perfectly against your narrow range. (except if you mix it up heavily postflop)

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole point of position is to mix it up postflop, float, etc.

If all you know is that he has some pocket pair 22-99 you will have no idea where you stand on any board that's not three broadway cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

you will actually have a very good idea of where you stand on most boards.

There is nothing wrong with calling with a lot of hands in position (especially against a loose raiser). A lot of the time 3 betting actually cuts down the value you can get from your hand.

Something I've been toying with is making smaller 3 bets. But I don't think I like it.

If the blinds are squeezing overly often then you don't have to cold call/ fold. You can definitely cold call and then call again. Or even Cold call and shove (most people don't like this, because it really doesn't look like a big pocket pair, and means the squeezer has an easier time looking you up with 99-QQ.

In any case I don't see the mathematical argument that it is wrong to cold call in position frequently. Could somebody explain this to me? Where does the math come in?

tommo 06-27-2007 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine said that he very seldom calls a CO raise on the button (fold or 3-bet) because its a very exploitable for the blinds. Any thoughts about that?

I call in this spot all the time which might be stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

i definitely agree with this. it's also just really tough for the cutoff to want to take a flop with you, OOP vs a strong opponent, and sure he can know that you might be threebetting light because of your relative positions but he also knows that you know he knows this so it takes a lot of stones for him to bluff fourbet you either. in general raising CO opens from the button is a strong play with a wide range of hands, whereas calling just gives any decent reg in the blinds a chance to squeeze with top 20-30%ish of hands

[/ QUOTE ]

if they are really squeezing with top 30% of hands then you have a very easy time calling or shoving over their squeeze. Depending on CO-s action.

also it starts to make a lot of sense to slowplay big pairs TT+ if they are doing this.

bigt439 06-27-2007 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine said that he very seldom calls a CO raise on the button (fold or 3-bet) because its a very exploitable for the blinds. Any thoughts about that?

I call in this spot all the time which might be stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

your friend is wrong.

a) the blinds have to be exploiting you for it to even be a problem

b) its very easy to exploit them exploiting you if you [censored] around with your calling range.

Josh. 06-27-2007 04:14 PM

i think i make a good amount of my profit from single raised pots where i don't have the initiative

catcher193 06-27-2007 05:07 PM

lol 3bet/fold camp

Darkfolder 06-27-2007 05:16 PM

Isnt Fsuplayer a very good example on players who calls a lot of raises in position? Would be very interesting to hear his thoughts on this subject..:)

DonkBluffer 06-27-2007 05:23 PM

I think the thing is that if you cold call, and only continue if you hit and fold if you missed, then you won't make a profit. So you have to bluffraise, float, etc. But everybody knows that. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Against very good players/hand readers it's probably a bad idea to cold call with bad hands preflop, because they won't be so easy to exploit.

edit: it would be an interesting experiment to not 3-bet at all and only cold call for a few sessions. I think I might try that some time.

EgoSlasher 06-27-2007 05:35 PM

You have to know how the person you're cold-calling plays and be able to outplay him to make cc'ing correct.