Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   getting autographs at wsop (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=429721)

Bdidd 06-18-2007 03:02 PM

Re: getting autographs at wsop

Ok, i'll bite.

What sport is it?

Cornell Fiji 06-18-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm involved in an up and coming sport and play on a professional team. We've recently got some TV coverage and been holding events in well publisized locations. With that comes a lot of kids looking to get autographs from the top players of the sport. After playing for 12 years, I can tell you it's a pretty cool feeling to finally be recognized for the hard work and dedication that I put in. I don't live for people asking for my autograph, but it is pretty cool to see that other people do care. It's difficult to do signings when you just lost a major game, but it comes with the territory. That is quickly made up for when you win an event and all the kids rush to get you to sign their shirt, hat, jersey, etc.

I imagine that the majority of the poker pros out there feel the same way. I'm sure they feel good that their sport of choice is finally accepted by the masses. They are finally being acknowledged as great players and appreciate the support of the fans. At some point tournaments will have overlays because of all of the outside sponsorship involvement, and the reason that will happen is because of the fans that enjoy the game. The pros will then see returns from the fans and supporters of poker. In the mean time they'll continue making money on their books and merchandise which again is supported by the fans and amateur players.

What I suggest companies like Full Tilt and Poker Stars do is having a booth at the events, and have a time when all of their pros at the event will be there for signings. You then get most of the signing out of the way at a designated time. This is what we do at events, and it goes over pretty well.

The more accessible the pros are the better for Poker.

-Ron

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron,
Are you an ultimate fighter of some sort? If so, thats pretty badass... can I have your autograph?

raphet99 06-18-2007 03:13 PM

World Combat League...amirite?

drewjustdrew 06-18-2007 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wait until the final table, especially heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminded me of the most annoying player I have ever met. He busted out of a satellite and then came up to the ropes I hiad around the final table and was trying to tell bad beat stories to the players at the final table. I had to ask him to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go ahead. You can say it. It was Mike Matusow, wasn't it? This was what he was doing the first time I ever saw him. Probably around 2000 or so. My thought was "this wannabe poker player is pathetic" bothering the real players.

MicroBob 06-18-2007 03:24 PM

I've signed autographs too from when I worked in radio. Not many, but some listeners would come up to me and ask me to sign something or pose for a pic with them or whatever.
I was always genuinely flattered although I did think it was a little strange.

Worth noting that signing a few autographs over the course of a few years is way different than having hordes of autograph seekers practically everyday which I never experienced nor care to.

I did get a few autographs of a couple athletes and broadcasters when I was kid. I grew out of that phase though.

I've seen lots of adults go crazy trying to get athletes' signatures and some of the behavior and screaming, "Sign This!! Hey...I'm Next!!" etc at a ball-game can be pretty pathetic.
Most of the athletes go out of their way to be as polite as they can while all these people are screaming at them and the people still think the athletes are just being rude.

Oh well, it's just one of those things that kind of bugs me I guess.

Bav and others - I actually do think there is some benefit to just telling people not to bother the poker-players.
Some people are kind of on the fence about bugging poker-players for autographs and aren't 100% "I'm going to hunt everyone down and get as many sigs as I can."

For some people I suspect that saying, "Hey, don't be that guy" might be enough to cool them out on the whole autograph thing a bit.

Probably something of a bummer for those who are all dreamy about getting all these autographs for whatever reason but I kind of think it needs to be said.

drewjustdrew 06-18-2007 03:49 PM

Though I haven't asked for an autograph since I was about 11, I have no problem with it if the player is being paid to represent a product, such as a website or a book. To bother a player just cuz he's been on TV is pretty strange. I guess I would say that you are fair game if you are wearing sponsorship gear or are a known media whore, and are a recognizable name.

youtalkfunny 06-18-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had to ask him to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

RR - Wow. That's amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

RR asking a player to leave is the least amazing thing I've ever read. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

youtalkfunny 06-18-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I follow the Bill Russell philosophy. When asked for an autograph, he would say, "no, but I'll shake your hand." I've shaken a lot of hands, but have no signatures. It lets both of us keep our dignity.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so cool. I often imagined that I might respond like that if I ever got rich and famous. It thrills me to discover that someone as balla as Bill Russell actually did it.

youtalkfunny 06-18-2007 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I trust that those bashing those interested in autographs from poker players also feel the same way about getting autographs from football and baseball players and such?

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking strictly for myself: Yes. Absolutely.

I should note that BUYING an autograph is an entirely different thing. I think that's dumb, too--but at least the autograph seeker isn't bothering people.

Also, kids get an exemption about bother people, as they're too young to understand. Adults who bother people are no better than aggressive panhandlers.

rontime 06-18-2007 05:39 PM

After reading all these posts, don't think I'll try to get any autographs. The thought of asking now seems embarrassing, I'll just buy a poster. thanks for all the help