Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NHL Worst ever ratings on NBC (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=422380)

AlanF1 06-09-2007 11:09 PM

Re: NHL Worst ever ratings on NBC

NHL will be surpassed by soccer soon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bluef0x 06-09-2007 11:37 PM

NHL will probably stay at the level it is right now for a few years.

An ESPN deal, team in Vegas, and dropping/revising the instigator rule might create a (temporary?) surge.

Also, they don't need to contract. There's plenty of talent spread out. It's not like 4th liners are playing 30 min a game. Also, contracting probably leads to less goons and less fighting, which is the only reason hockey is ever mentioned between a group of non-hockey fans.

Bremen 06-09-2007 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I was under the impression it already was...

AlanF1 06-10-2007 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I was under the impression it already was...

[/ QUOTE ]

MLS?

Triumph36 06-10-2007 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with pretty much everything posted in the thread, but I think it's important to mention that the fact that the 2 teams were Ottawa and Anaheim has a lot to do with the low ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]
I want to agree with this too, but sadly, I can't think of a team that may have national appeal in US other than Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and possibly the Rangers or Red Wings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buffalo? lol. are you serious? Yeah, Buffalo does a HUGE rating in Buffalo, but no one else cares about the Sabres.

The Rangers, Stars, Blues, Bruins, Kings, Flyers, and Wings would definitely be solid picks. There are several other markets which would be better than Anaheim - and Ottawa is just about the worst market to have in the Finals.

NIX 06-10-2007 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Buffalo? lol. are you serious? Yeah, Buffalo does a HUGE rating in Buffalo, but no one else cares about the Sabres.

The Rangers, Stars, Blues, Bruins, Kings, Flyers, and Wings would definitely be solid picks. There are several other markets which would be better than Anaheim - and Ottawa is just about the worst market to have in the Finals.

[/ QUOTE ]
My thought with Buffalo was the announcers kept pointing out how like the top 8 (or something) player jerseys sold were Crosby and 7 Sabres. If all those people buying the jerseys are in Western New York, then so be it. But I figured a fair amount of those were being sold in other locations.

B00T 06-10-2007 12:17 PM

The Sabres also got new logo/jerseys this year. That probably has a lot to do with it.

MyTurn2Raise 06-10-2007 01:06 PM

The traditional 6 are pretty much the teams with nationwide appeal

Clarkmeister 06-10-2007 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The traditional 6 are pretty much the teams with nationwide appeal

[/ QUOTE ]

I'dd add the Devils, Avs and Stars.

The NHL will never overcome the fact that the game translates extraordinarily poorly to TV. The best spectator sport, the worst TV sport. HDTV will help as hockey benefits more than any sport from it IMO, but I don't think it'll be enough.

MicroBob 06-10-2007 02:37 PM

Clark - have to agree. hockey on TV just isn't even close to watching it live imo?
Although most of Canada doesn't seem to have any problems with it.
but for 'typical' Americans who don't know or understand the sport, watching it on TV just doesn't do anything to spark any interest because it just doesn't look very good.

I still think getting back on ESPN could help it out a tad.
At least it could prevent it from going backwards.

Lots of American males just turn it to ESPN by default. And lots of bars show it even if it's poker or strongest-man or whatever.
It's practically a pain to get some bars to switch it to TNT or ABC for an NBA game. Even when ESPN is showing a Cheerleading competition it just doesn't occur to them until you ask.

I watched part of the TB/Calgary Stanley Cup series at a bar in Memphis. 2 guys seated near us were watching it too just because it happened to be on and they were asking me questions about how the sport worked.

No, they're not going to become huge fans. But at least it was on and they were watching it and became somewhat interested.
No way that would happen today because no bar in the south is going to intentionally change it to VS or NBC just because the playoffs are on.