Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Caucasian: the 'Other' white meat (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393460)

Klompy 05-03-2007 12:22 AM

Re: Caucasian: the \'Other\' white meat

[ QUOTE ]
but the reason it says other white is because latinos are white.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is new to me

Patrick del Poker Grande 05-03-2007 12:23 AM

So... with the US demographics getting more and more latino, is the US getting more and more white? Am I not going to be in the minority in 2020 after all?

dmisfh1 05-03-2007 12:27 AM

This thread has potential.

Personally, in all the surveys that I have completed (school, government, etc.) "White" and "Latino/Hispanic" were always two seperate options.

IdealFugacity 05-03-2007 12:27 AM

Is it racist to think of Latinos and Whites as separate categories? I mean, I don't really picture redhead or blonde latinos in my head that often.

Then again, I don't picture blonde irish people either, and they meet my definition of white

Blarg 05-03-2007 12:29 AM

Heh I've worked in offices where EVERY latina was a red-head.

Curse you, Lucy Ricardo!

TheMetetron 05-03-2007 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, in all the surveys that I have completed (school, government, etc.) "White" and "Latino/Hispanic" were always two seperate options.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel better I remember answering the 2000 census when the dude came. I said I was latino and he said that was white and checked the box for white (latino) or something like that. There was also a white (non-latino) box as well.

IdealFugacity 05-03-2007 12:34 AM

So West Side Story is really about a bunch of inner-city white people?

TheMetetron 05-03-2007 12:36 AM

Best I can come up with in a pinch. 2000 census below.:

[ QUOTE ]
# 75.1% of respondents said they were White or Caucasian and no other race;
# 21.36% (60 Million Americans) are of German descent; German-Americans
# 12.3% are of Black or African-American descent;
# Hispanics - who may belong to any race - accounted for 12.5% of the U.S. population, up from 9% in 1990;
# 3.6% of respondents are Asian;

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it said Hispanic, not latino. Also, I should've clarified that Hispanics are white comment I made before. They are usually white. There are black Hispanics as well though, as well as from theoretically any race.

Edit: This is better:

[ QUOTE ]
* American Indian or Alaska Native. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment."

* Asian. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam."

* Black or African American. "A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as 'Haitian' or 'Negro' can be used in addition to 'Black' or 'African American.'"

* Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands."

* White. "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the only races on the US Census. No Hispanic/Latino.

IdealFugacity 05-03-2007 12:40 AM

Is Jewish a race?

edit: guess not based on above post

dmisfh1 05-03-2007 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel better I remember answering the 2000 census when the dude came. I said I was latino and he said that was white and checked the box for white (latino) or something like that. There was also a white (non-latino) box as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I fail to see why you would think that it would make me feel better (or worse), but whatever.

As for the 2000 census, was this in the state of California or somewhere else?