Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Personalities - Introvert or Extrovert? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382822)

Runkmud 04-19-2007 04:03 PM

Re: Personalities - Introvert or Extrovert?

1. Oddly enough, I'm the opposite of what I typically think of a forum guy. On the forums I'm pretty introverted, out in the world, I'm mostly an extrovert. Although I think Blarg summed it up rather nicely. If I feel comfortable and social, I can own a room. If I'm not in the mood to be "on" or don't feel comfortable with the people I'm around, I tend to be introverted.

2. Yes, for the most part I think you can tell alot by someone's "online" personality. Of course, this may contradict what I answered for number one, but I can certainly discern who I think I'd enjoy having a beer with from the frequent posters.

Blarg 04-19-2007 04:11 PM

An extroverted loner sounds like a contradiction in terms to me.

entertainme 04-19-2007 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An extroverted loner sounds like a contradiction in terms to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not though.

On one hand I really enjoy time alone and don't get nearly enough of it.

On the other hand, I'm pretty comfortable in most social situations when the time arises and will go out of my way to engage others who aren't participating.

So in your opinion you can be an extrovert by nature yet still not have much of a social life?

Blarg 04-19-2007 04:42 PM

No, I'm saying the opposite. An extrovert will probably keep plugging away until they get a social life, no matter how long it takes or what they have to go through, because that's their nature. They want to be with people most of the time. That's what makes them an extrovert.

I think you can be an extrovert who wishes he had more time alone. It might be a sort of misleading feeling, though When an extrovert gets that time, he probably gets fed up with it very quickly. So that's more just being tired mentally or emotionally or physically, and needing to recharge one's batteries. A true extrovert wishing he could have more time alone might be having a sort of a false impression.

I think what you and your daughter are, from what you've said in that post at least, are outspoken, which is very different from being an extrovert. I think you can be very introverted and still be very outspoken. I was outspoken from the time I was a little kid too, but it didn't have anything to do with being extroverted. I was even quite shy at different times while still being very outspoken.

jfk 04-19-2007 04:59 PM

You're probably collectively aware of this test (or its been discussed elsewhere), but if not, it is considered the standard for introvert/extrovert measurement:

http://www.myersbriggs.org/

diebitter 04-19-2007 06:50 PM

I can be both. I'm happy with my own company, but am happy to interact with people I know or friendly people I don't know.

You can discern personalities on a messageboard. I think they are probably exaggerated versions of real life mostly. We have some grade-A [censored] on these forums, but I suspect they can't have such terrible personalities in real life (not on show, anyway), because they could barely function. Likewise, I think some nicer guys on here maybe live up to what they wish they were like rather than what they are in reality.

I vcould be wrong though.

I read this thread, and decided to do one of those online personality things and I am apparently an INTJ.

here's what that means

Oh, I'm an Aries too, if that helps.

Blarg 04-19-2007 07:32 PM

Aries are dead butch.

diebitter 04-19-2007 08:13 PM

My wife's an Aries. You should hear it when we get into a fight. Wowzer.

katyseagull 04-19-2007 08:22 PM

No one wins an argument against an Aries [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] They are professionals.

Runkmud 04-19-2007 08:38 PM

Wow gl with that, I'm an Aries, and I've had two Aries girlfriends, the sex was great, but both relationships went down in flames.