Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Iran Hostage Crisis 2.0 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369204)

Dan. 04-02-2007 01:52 PM

Re: Iran Hostage Crisis 2.0

[ QUOTE ]
Do you suppose that the sailors "admitting to being in Iranian waters" means anything? What do you suppose "under duress" means? The sailors are right now under extreme duress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

NewTeaBag 04-02-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you suppose that the sailors "admitting to being in Iranian waters" means anything? What do you suppose "under duress" means? The sailors are right now under extreme duress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL If I put a gun against your head or some electrodes on your balls, or even better, a gun against your fellow Marine or Sailor's head what WON"T you say? I'd imagine I'd have you saying anything I like.

I don't understand why many who rightly condemn the unmonitored actions of The US in Gitmo can now suddenly condone a far more extreme and dangerous government hijacking and imprisoning foreign military personell.

Dan. 04-02-2007 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL If I put a gun against your head or some electrodes on your balls, or even better, a gun against your fellow Marine or Sailor's head what WON"T you say? I'd imagine I'd have you saying anything I like.

I don't understand why many who rightly condemn the unmonitored actions of The US in Gitmo can now suddenly condone a far more extreme and dangerous government hijacking and imprisoning foreign military personell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove that they're under duress. Prisoners have been found to be under duress at Gitmo, but as far as we know, these sailors are being treated fine.

CTKid 04-02-2007 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You may or may not be right that the admissions of trespassing into Iranian waters were acquired under duress. But to claim that you know for certain one way or another is absurd. You don't know that, and there's no way you could.

DrunkHamster 04-02-2007 02:34 PM

Last time we had sailors captured by Iran in 2004, they were subjected to mock executions... would that count as duress?

theweatherman 04-02-2007 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last time we had sailors captured by Iran in 2004, they were subjected to mock executions... would that count as duress?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet a lot of peopl ein history were subject to duress. So what?

NewTeaBag 04-02-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You may or may not be right that the admissions of trespassing into Iranian waters were acquired under duress. But to claim that you know for certain one way or another is absurd. You don't know that, and there's no way you could.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this line of thought for the simple reason that we are talking about Royal Marines here. These aren't civilians, contractors, reporters, photogs, phonytough jihadists, or any other such fare. These are Royal Marines and The UK makes them just as tough as US Marines. They DON'T make public statements for hostile governments WITHOUT being under SERIOUS duress.

The whole question is irrelevant anyway in that they were Illegally captured and are illegally being detained.

theweatherman 04-02-2007 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The whole question is irrelevant anyway in that they were Illegally captured and are illegally being detained.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, what proof of this do you have?

UATrewqaz 04-02-2007 03:26 PM

I highly suspect no torture or forcing has occured yet, most likely they were trained to simply "confess" when told to (but not diviluge any secrets).

So the Iranians probably put them in front of a camera and say "Ok, confess your crimes and tell the world how you are wrong."

and then they are simply doing it, as they were most likely told to.

If they were to refuse then the bad stuff would possibly start.

NewTeaBag 04-02-2007 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I highly suspect no torture or forcing has occured yet, most likely they were trained to simply "confess" when told to (but not diviluge any secrets).

So the Iran's probably put them in front of a camera and say "Ok, confess your crimes and tell the world how you are wrong."

and then they are simply doing it, as they were most likely told to.

If they were to refuse then the bad stuff would possibly start.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both The US Military and Britsh Militaries have codes of conduct for POWs. Neither of them permit such "confessions." Thus it is UNpossible they were trained to do so in that it would contravene some rather essential core standing orders.