Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Great (and not-so great) finds at Whole Foods (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=368054)

Enon 04-01-2007 04:13 AM

Re: Great (and not-so great) finds at Whole Foods

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. Chilean Sea Bass
2. Thai Ginger Marinade
3. Profit.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

dcifr,
this is the el d forum. no lame jokes from other forums are needed, just your charming personality! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

re: whole foods

i dont shop there often enough, unfortunately, but have never had a bad experience with any of their in-store lunch stuff (sammys, salads, etc). the place is as perfect as i can imagine a grocery being (ignoring outrageous prices).

[/ QUOTE ]

fair.

other finds:

1) in the prepared foods section: the roast turkey (they have very thick slices & it is awesome)

2) in the whole foods other prepared foods section "Smoked Harrissa Hommus"

3) Orgainc 365 mixed veggies (frozen)

4) southwest cold cut turkey

5) (as mentioend before) thai ginger marinade + the chillean sea bass

6) KEY FIND: fresh lobster meat near the fish section (it is de-shelled and in a 6-8 oz container that is frozen). to use, simply put in fridge for 1 day & do whatever you want. i made a lemon+lime+mango+cilantro lobster ceviche.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Key find: Being friends with Lee who introduced you to Whole Foods.

JaBlue 04-01-2007 04:20 AM

Does anyone else find it wierd that people that seem like hippies shop at whole foods? Its so [censored] expensive.

My girlfriend drags me there every now and then and I can't believe that people are willing to pay their prices. $6.00/gallon organic milk?

That said, here are some things I've gotten and what I thought:

Panini - way, way overpriced. Not that good.
BBQ chicken pizza - reasonably priced. Not bad.
Blue Sky Creamy Root Beer - great price. Awesome!
Soaps: fantastic, but a little expensive for my taste.
Massage Oil: why the F did we buy this at whole foods?
Candles: smell great, but should buy elsewhere.
Protein Powder: SO [censored] EXPENSIVE (just saw, did not buy)

I am a big fan of their samples and stealing their good olives.

Kneel B4 Zod 04-01-2007 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else find it wierd that people that seem like hippies shop at whole foods? Its so [censored] expensive.

My girlfriend drags me there every now and then and I can't believe that people are willing to pay their prices. $6.00/gallon organic milk?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not as expensive as some people are making it out to be, espeically if you compare like-to-like baskets.

you can't really compare the cost of organic tenderloin at Whole Foods to the tenderloin at Kroger or whatever, b/c the quality is so much different.

if you stick to their private label stuff (like 365, which is generally very good) you'll pay very similar prices compared to branded products at traditional supermarkets.

if you want to buy organic, sure it's going to cost more.

the perishables, again, are more expensive but you're talking about a completely different quality level.

El Diablo 04-01-2007 12:21 PM

Ja,

They have actually just started a major initiative to lower prices on staples and all non-prepared goods as a way to combat the "Whole Paycheck" perception.

ltb 04-01-2007 02:45 PM

Whenever I go grocery shopping, I always go to TJ's first and Whole Foods afterwards (which works out nicely since they're only a block away from each other here), considering the price differences.

As already mentioned, Whole Foods' fresh meats are excellent. Expensive, yeah..but worth it most of the time. Cheese selection is awesome, as well. I also get a lot of the vegetables you can't get in TJ's or some random grocery store there.

One thing they have that I can never find anywhere else are Ian's frozen french toast sticks. Very nice for a quick breakfast if you decide to sleep in a bit.

I tried their spinach and artichoke dip a few weeks ago. Can't say I recommend it.

wet work 04-01-2007 04:06 PM

I don't know if it's just my taste or what but they have the BEST tiramisu I have ever had.

DcifrThs 04-01-2007 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. Chilean Sea Bass
2. Thai Ginger Marinade
3. Profit.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

dcifr,
this is the el d forum. no lame jokes from other forums are needed, just your charming personality! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

re: whole foods

i dont shop there often enough, unfortunately, but have never had a bad experience with any of their in-store lunch stuff (sammys, salads, etc). the place is as perfect as i can imagine a grocery being (ignoring outrageous prices).

[/ QUOTE ]

fair.

other finds:

1) in the prepared foods section: the roast turkey (they have very thick slices & it is awesome)

2) in the whole foods other prepared foods section "Smoked Harrissa Hommus"

3) Orgainc 365 mixed veggies (frozen)

4) southwest cold cut turkey

5) (as mentioend before) thai ginger marinade + the chillean sea bass

6) KEY FIND: fresh lobster meat near the fish section (it is de-shelled and in a 6-8 oz container that is frozen). to use, simply put in fridge for 1 day & do whatever you want. i made a lemon+lime+mango+cilantro lobster ceviche.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Key find: Being friends with Lee who introduced you to Whole Foods.

[/ QUOTE ]

which also reminds me:

other finds:

1) three grain tempe

2) Shoyu soy sauce (very good)

Barron

PS- TY

El Diablo 04-01-2007 06:06 PM

All,

http://www.cafferata.com/productinfo/PD66B-CF.gif

Cafferata Butternut Squash ravioli. Very tasty and very easy to make. Frozen, just boil for 5-6 minutes. I also got there walnut gorgonzola ravioli, will report on that as well.

Parlay Slow 04-01-2007 11:41 PM

El D,

That looks sweet. I'll definitely give it a try.

fslexcduck 04-02-2007 02:36 AM

ltb, are you near union square in nyc? i wonder if this tj close to whole foods thing a phenomenon, generally...

oh yeah, i love all the amy's frozen foods. the burritos are really good IMO. the spinach and feta pocket is delicious if you cook it in the oven, or else too soggy.

other frozen foods are mini pizza pockets with soy cheese by health and wealth, very tasty (for lo cal type stuff) IMO.