Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   ** TWIN PEAKS: EPISODE BY EPISODE ** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364306)

diebitter 03-30-2007 01:44 PM

Re: ** TWIN PEAKS: EPISODE BY EPISODE **

This is a great episode, and sets the tone for the entire series absolutely perfectly. We have 'damn fine coffee' (this comment was HUGE when the series aired, but was one of several) that's black as midnight on a moonless night (that's pretty black) , cherry pie that'll just kill ya, noiseless drapes, 'shenanegins', logs, brief glimpses of characters to come, and beautiful colours and more cool dialogue.

Thank goodness Sherilyn Fenn looks a lot older (and so drop-dead gorgeous) in this one compared to the pilot. LoL at the snippet of conversation between Cooper and her ('do your palms ever itch?'), and the assorted people stuffing their faces with donuts in the cop-shop. Leo also comes over as a bit tougher. I'm wondering if there was a big gap between the pilot and the actual first season.

Overall, loved watching this episode, and can't wait for the next one.

rothko 03-31-2007 05:03 AM

carter, fenn looks way older because she is. there was a year in between the pilot and episode one, if you didn't know. no worries, though, you aren't a dirty old man for lusting after her. she was already twenty-five or so in the pilot.

anyway, really wish i'd seen this show when it was on tv. probably would've thought it was pretty cool, but it's just dumb now, for the most part.

it seems i analyze things from a different perspective than most of you, so i'm just going to shut up about not liking it for the rest of the way and comment on other things.

diebitter 04-02-2007 12:11 PM

"I feel like I know her but sometimes my arms bend back..."

Episode 2: Zen, or the Skill to Catch a Killer

[ QUOTE ]

SYNOPSIS:
Written by David Lynch and Mark Frost.
Directed by David Lynch.
Original Airdate: April 19, 1990.

FBI Agent Dale Cooper demonstrates an unusual deductive technique for the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department; Benjamin Horne and his brother, Jerry, take a trip to One-Eyed Jacks; Donna Hayward and James Hurley pledge their love; Leo Johnson holds Bobby Briggs at gunpoint. Agent Cooper has a very strange dream.

[/ QUOTE ]

A terrific episode, one of the best. Discussion to follow.

rothko 04-02-2007 01:44 PM

carter, it looks like you and i are the only ones watching twin peaks. shall we continue discussion via pms? lol.

diebitter 04-02-2007 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
carter, it looks like you and i are the only ones watching twin peaks. shall we continue discussion via pms? lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Patience little trooper. If you build it, they will come.

Enrique 04-02-2007 03:16 PM

I am watching too, I just haven't commented.

On the first episode, I really liked the quotes you mentioned Carter. I think the detective is the coolest TV character I've seen.

I am also very attracted to Fenn.

diebitter 04-02-2007 03:39 PM

SPOILERS!

Lynch directed this one, and it's a great piece of work. The visuals are really good, the weird and funny touches he puts in really set it up as great (Cooper's hair when he awakes from his dream - lol), and the use of ambient music makes it very cool.

We also meet some new characters. Albert (Miguel Ferrer) the FBI man with a truly terrible attitude (he cracks me up); Ben Horne's brother Jerry blathering on about incredible sandwiches, and the Horne brothers stuffing their faces as they talk; and Blackie, the madame of One Eyed Jacks. And the girls of one-eyed jacks....oh brother. We also meet the midget in the red room...which strange coincidence, I caught a reference to last week when watching the Simspons episode about the shooting of Mr Burns.

It's hard to describe the impact this episode had when it broadcast, with the dream sequence and backwards talking at the end, but I can assure you, EVERYONE was talking about it the next day. Some were turned off, some loved it, most didn't get it but given the cliffhanger ending, you knew they were going to tune in next week. And everyone was already starting to try and work out who killed Laura Palmer.

You get a feeling Cooper is definitely some component of Lynch. Many of his films are definitely dream-like, and Cooper using his dreams as the gateway to his deductive process, and also having that dream at the end firmly cements Cooper as a man, whilst clever and cool, who is definitely tuned into the dreamworld.

And back in the soap-opera elements, we see scenes with Bobby and Shelley, James and Donna, and probably most sad, we have Leland Palmer starting to go through a breakdown over the death of his daughter.

Also - for those of you who got the DVD's of season 1; the commentary track has a big giveaway of who the killer is, so if you don't know, don't listen.

Enrique 04-02-2007 04:06 PM

Yes, that stupid commentary ruined a surprise, although I might forget by the time I get to see season 2, since it is taking the library forever to process the dvds.

The dream sequence was awesome, I really loved it. I had to watch it over a couple of times. The dvd extra of the little person explaining how he had to talk in the red room was cool.

diebitter 04-02-2007 04:45 PM

Aye, that dancing dwarf, that music, the striking features of Sheryl Lee - so beautiful, so weird, so memorable. The whole thing may actually be the best 2 minutes of TV fiction ever.

renodoc 04-02-2007 05:24 PM

which episode does SF tie the cherry stem in her mouth?