Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Little things that annoy you in sports (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=360869)

JaredL 03-21-2007 09:16 PM

Re: Little things that annoy you in sports

[ QUOTE ]
How much officials are paid for their level of performance

[/ QUOTE ]

For me people constantly whining about the officiating is annoying. This includes coaches, players, fans and especially announcers. Having been a referee for soccer, it's not easy at all. Also, pretty much any call or noncall you make and people bitch and moan about it, no matter how correct you were.

If you think the level isn't high enough, then refs should be paid more not less and there should be higher scrutiny paid to the job they do.

On a similar note, the biggest peeve for me is biased announcing. Even if it's my team I hate it when the announcers are so obviously biased. Getting excited when your team does well and down when they are getting beaten is good, but it shouldn't affect the analysis. If a guy is driving the lane and Marty Luenen hip checks him it's a foul whether he's wearing an Oregon jersey or not. If your job is to tell people what is happening in the game, you should be able to objectively do it even if you are biased.

Uncle Wimp 03-21-2007 09:24 PM

Mark Price had one of the highest FT percentages of all time. In a list of tips on shooting FTs, he advised stepping away from the line to avoid your teammates and their high fives. They're distracting, he said.
He made 90% from the line.
I'm annoyed with the length of time between pitches nowadays in baseball. Just throw the damn ball, and get your ass in the batter's box.

Eagles 03-21-2007 09:27 PM

Disagree about everything said about freethrows.
The one and one makes college games way more entertaining I'd like to see the one and one in the NBA.

In hockey getting a delay of game penalty anytime the puck is shot over the glass. It's so dumb. Just put a clause in that says if it is deemed to be on purpose. When someone clears the puck it takes a weird bounce and goes over the glass it shouldn't be a penalty.

PokerFink 03-21-2007 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When someone clears the puck it takes a weird bounce and goes over the glass it shouldn't be a penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not. The puck has to go directly out, which means no bounces.

chaseUdown 03-21-2007 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate the foul fest at the end of basketball games. If a team can benefit by fouling, then there is a problem. This could easily be fixed (delayed whistle hockey style, give the fouled team the option of inbounding, exponentially increasing numbers of free throws, etc.) but no one seems to want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I don't watch much basketball, and the end of the NCAA games reminded me why.

If a player is fouled, the team should just keep the ball. If the shot goes in, it counts and they still keep the ball. No foul shots. Basketball would be 10x better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you are in favor of a no shot clock rule too.

youtalkfunny 03-21-2007 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The one that's really getting to me lately is the CONSTANT BITCHING in this thread!

[/ QUOTE ]

Eagles 03-21-2007 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When someone clears the puck it takes a weird bounce and goes over the glass it shouldn't be a penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not. The puck has to go directly out, which means no bounces.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oops My bad I still think the rule is bad because frequently it is not intentional.

Punker 03-21-2007 09:40 PM

How many times announcers or players say the word "golf" needlessly while commenting. eg "He has a nice golf swing" "I was just trying to hit a good golf shot".

Jack Bando 03-21-2007 09:45 PM

Nice point on biased announcing Jared. I'm from the Chicago area, so I have to hear Hawk Harelson on the radio for the Sox, worst homer ever.

The T.O-ESPN Complex. They have to talk about T.O., which means he does more crazy stuff, which gets talked about more,....

Jay Mariotti
Skip Bayless

PokerFink 03-21-2007 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose you are in favor of a no shot clock rule too.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Where did that come from?

(Or am I being leveled?)