Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Business degrees (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=348445)

SoloAJ 03-07-2007 11:50 AM

Re: Business degrees

It is generally hard to generalize and have foundations as to being correct. I could be mistaken, but I think business is one of ISU's better programs (that isn't to say it is nationally known, oh god no)...

But, most of the business majors I know of through my roommates seem to be terrible students who don't know or care about anything. This is obviously a very small sample, but in my experience, they are being trained to be robots and they can't even manage that.

lala 03-07-2007 12:35 PM

business majors usually do pretty well in the job market compared to most other majors, avg. salary is about $40k. Not bad considering its not a difficult major.

danlux 03-07-2007 12:42 PM

Econ is still 10x harder than any business major.

Evan 03-07-2007 01:11 PM

This thread is hilarious.

onlinebeginner 03-07-2007 01:37 PM

can we do this thread without the sarcasm

Thremp 03-07-2007 04:19 PM

danlux,

Most econ dept. are either in or closely related to the business dept. Like look at Chicago's business school, or maybe Stanford.

T50,

I'm sorry thats the case for you, but I think it has little bearing on the topic at hand. Economics is very math oriented and technical, despite what you're HR people seem to be saying. This is reinforced by the fact you have a math minor and they're still in lala land.

I am not familiar with econ at the state school level. We have a combined Econ/Finance major for various reasons at my school. Do you not take econometrics or more advanced math classes normally there?

bb88 03-07-2007 04:43 PM

Quick question about business majors:

I'm getting a general business management degree, but plan on getting my MBA in either Finance, Econ or Marketing riht after school. What's the general consensus on an MBA?

Thremp 03-07-2007 05:00 PM

bb88,

Worthless there. Not one worth going to will accept you.

SoloAJ 03-07-2007 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bb88,

Worthless there. Not one worth going to will accept you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is part of the general perception of business majors being lame.

I know there are tons of business students who are way better students and will be wayyyyyy more successful than me in terms of drive and happiness...but there seem to be an awful lot that are on the other end of the spectrum.

Pursue an undergrad degree that can get you into a good business MBA program and you're golden.

Note: I'm not trying to be mean about any of this, it is just my small sample size perception and others' I know.

T50_Omaha8 03-07-2007 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not familiar with econ at the state school level. We have a combined Econ/Finance major for various reasons at my school. Do you not take econometrics or more advanced math classes normally there?

[/ QUOTE ]
Econometrics is offered as an undergrad class, but not required. I didn't take it (although I've taken probability, a senior level math class that covers statistics on a more theoretical and rigorous level).

The math requirements for econ are a joke. You only need to take differential calculus to be an econ major (or any business major I think). IMO, most econ majors would have a lot of difficulty taking integral calc, let alone linear algebra, diff eq, or multivariable calc, which I think econ majors should have at least some exposure to. In class, whenever a derivative is required to get through a derivation, the teacher has to stop everything and say, "okay, now if you remember from calculus, when you take the derivative of x^n you get (n-1)x^(n-1)"...and the class moans in frustration. They never bothered explaining simple relationships like (TC)'=MC, etc...and I only know that crap because I figured it out myself.

Let's just say I'm not impressed at all with my econ program, and I go to a fairly decent school. I shudder when I think of econ programs at lower-level state schools.